Moynihan Train Hall

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They post the track numbers and make the first announcement for boarding simultaneously.
Yeah, in the old underground Penn Station it was quite something. It was kind of like the herds of antelopes in the Serengeti. You know, those nature movies where they show the herd milling around, then one of them gets a sniff of a lion or something, and movement ripples through the herd, and very quickly, the herd starts moving very quickly as a mass....

That's was sort of what happened at Penn in the few seconds after the track numbers flipped up on the Solari. Back in the day, the didn't bother with gate ushers, either, the mass of people just headed for the stairs or escalator.

I wonder if animal behaviorists ever went to Penn to study the crowds. It might have made a nice doctoral dissertation, at least.

Time-wise, what can two people with two small bags reasonably see of Moynihan Train Hall and the lounge during a [scheduled] 1:25 transfer from Train 93 to a roomette on Train 97 Silver Meteor?

In preparation of my first LD trip in a long time [round-trip TPA to BOS and on to BRK], I have been appreciatively reading many helpful and informative comments on this forum.

Time-wise, what can two people with two small bags reasonably see of Moynihan Train Hall and the lounge during a [scheduled] 1:25 transfer from Train 93 to a roomette on Train 97 Silver Meteor?

In preparation of my first LD trip in a long time [round-trip TPA to BOS and on to BRK], I have been appreciatively reading many helpful and informative comments on this forum.
There are cabinets (no locks) in the lounge for your bags.
I’d say it would only take maybe 1/2 hour to walk around the hall.

I can’t remember which entrance this ceiling art was in, but I think it was the side the lounge is on. We would have missed it if someone hadn’t told us to look up.

0449303C-0830-46C2-8476-F5101C796AB6.jpeg3E2CD1F8-86AE-44C7-B503-187E5D37F119.jpeg

There are cabinets (no locks) in the lounge for your bags.
I’d say it would only take maybe 1/2 hour to walk around the hall.

I can’t remember which entrance this ceiling art was in, but I think it was the side the lounge is on. We would have missed it if someone hadn’t told us to look up.

View attachment 22671View attachment 22672
I didn't notice that when touring the new hall.
But then, that's how you can tell New Yorker's from tourists...you only see tourists out in the streets, looking up at skyscraper's....(for good reason)...;)😁

I didn't notice that when touring the new hall.
But then, that's how you can tell New Yorker's from tourists...you only see tourists out in the streets, looking up at skyscraper's....(for good reason)...;)😁
I know MARC Rider or someone else posted a picture of it before I went up ther and I totally forgot to look for it.

As to New Yorkers not looking up, is that because they, unlike the tourists, know that they could get an eyeful of pigeon poop? 😆

I know MARC Rider or someone else posted a picture of it before I went up ther and I totally forgot to look for it.

As to New Yorkers not looking up, is that because they, unlike the tourists, know that they could get an eyeful of pigeon poop? 😆
Good one...but I was thinking more of "painting" a target on themselves as a mark for pickpockets or other street predator's....

Many years ago on the west end of the lower level of Penn station you could monitor a stylus writer that listed tracks trains were coming on. Never knew the source but now think it might have been the tower(s) that posted assignments once the route was lined ?

Many years ago on the west end of the lower level of Penn station you could monitor a stylus writer that listed tracks trains were coming on. Never knew the source but now think it might have been the tower(s) that posted assignments once the route was lined ?
That Telautograph was in a glass booth at the Stationmasters office, where the old-fashioned arrivals board was located. It was there mostly for the benefit of train crews, usher's, and red caps, before they were issued radio's. Knowledgeable commuter's also got early notice of track numbers, posted by the Train Director, at 'A' Tower.

I had my first look at the new Moynihan station this past weekend. My wife and I traveled to New York to visit the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit. A couple of thoughts in no particular order:

1) As much as I like the "openness" of the new hall, judging by the number of people sitting on the floor, they need more seating.
2) They need a separate bag check from the ticket counter. Due to late trains, there was a long line for the ticket counter. People just trying to check bags had to wait a half an hour or more.
3) It drives me crazy that I can tell which track my train is leaving from at a station in London six months prior to departure - but I can't tell which track my train is leaving from in New York until just a few minutes prior to departure. There is one arrivals board (which is fairly hidden) in the whole hall, and they do NOT post the track for arrivals on that board. So you really cannot tell which track is yours until Amtrak decides to announce it.
4) The station is beautiful. I wouldn't say that it has the grandeur of some stations of old, but I like how it is bright and airy.
5) The food situation is still pretty bleak. I had to walk to the old Penn Station to get a sandwich. Hopefully that improves soon.
6) I was surprised at the number of people still waiting for an Amtrak train in the old Penn Station.
7) About 90% of the people on the train I came in on took the escalator into the old Penn Station. We walked (to the Washington, D.C. end of the train) and took the escalator into Moynihan. It's disappointing that so many people arriving in New York won't be entering via Moynihan hall.

And generally speaking, for a world superpower, we have a LONG way to go with our public transportation infrastructure. Other countries definitely put us to shame. This really struck me when I used the public transportation system in New York City. But the new Moynihan hall is a tremendous improvement over the old Penn Station. Keep it up, Amtrak!

Last edited:
I had my first look at the new Moynihan station this past weekend. My wife and I traveled to New York to visit the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit. A couple of thoughts in no particular order:

1) As much as I like the "openness" of the new hall, judging by the number of people sitting on the floor, they need more seating.
2) They need a separate bag check from the ticket counter. Due to late trains, there was a long line for the ticket counter. People just trying to check bags had to wait a half an hour or more.
3) It drives me crazy that I can tell which track my train is leaving from at a station in London six months prior to departure - but I can't tell which track my train is leaving from in New York until just a few minutes prior to departure. There is one arrivals board (which is fairly hidden) in the whole hall, and they do NOT post the track for arrivals on that board. So you really cannot tell which track is yours until Amtrak decides to announce it.
4) The station is beautiful. I wouldn't say that it has the grandeur of some stations of old, but I like how it is bright and airy.
5) The food situation is still pretty bleak. I had to walk to the old Penn Station to get a sandwich. Hopefully that improves soon.
6) I was surprised at the number of people still waiting for an Amtrak train in the old Penn Station.
7) About 90% of the people on the train I came in on took the escalator into the old Penn Station. We walked (to the Washington, D.C. end of the train) and took the escalator into Moynihan. It's disappointing that so many people arriving in New York won't be entering via Moynihan hall.

Agreed on most of this.
Detraining from the silver meteor, the track we were in didn’t even have an escalator into Moynihan.... we had to use the old penn station.

I think it had something to do with a bunch of delayed through-trains due to the heat, and they didn’t want a big silver train to take up valuable space.

Food in Moynihan is pretty much nonexistent for now, but as time goes on I anticipate that changing. I’d love to grab some food and be able to eat it on the balcony of the lounge.

And generally speaking, for a world superpower, we have a LONG way to go with our public transportation infrastructure. Other countries definitely put us to shame. This really struck me when I used the public transportation system in New York City. But the new Moynihan hall is a tremendous improvement over the old Penn Station. Keep it up, Amtrak!

Alas, the public transit sector of America is a joke, and it will remain as such for a long time, as some powerful people want it to stay that way. Just look at the Cato institute still claiming to widen highways.

Iran has more extensive rail than America.

That is not surprising because the connectivity to local transit is an order of magnitude better from the old Penn Station than from the Moynihan Train Hall. This has been predicted by anyone that actually uses Penn Station frequently for years.

Subways within 1 Ave Block:

Moynihan: Adjacent 8th Ave. IND (ACE), 1 Ave Block away 7th Ave IRT (123)
Penn Station: Adjacent 8th Ave IND (ACF), 7th Ave IRT (123), 1 Ave Block away: 6th Ave IND (BDFM), Broadway BMT (NQRW), PATH

Last edited:
Does Moynihan Station have taxis and car pickup or dropoff nearby? Or is it closer to Penn Station? People who use the Station will have a wider areas to choose from so it should help with traffic flow. If old Penn Station gets overcrowded, more space will be available in Moynihan. If I was using Amtrak Acela or its replacement, I would be using lounge services at Moynihan as well as other Amtrak services there.

3) It drives me crazy that I can tell which track my train is leaving from at a station in London six months prior to departure - but I can't tell which track my train is leaving from in New York until just a few minutes prior to departure. There is one arrivals board (which is fairly hidden) in the whole hall, and they do NOT post the track for arrivals on that board. So you really cannot tell which track is yours until
This is definitely purposeful, they don't want people going down to the platform early for their nor do they want people meeting arriving passengers on the platform.

That is not surprising because the connectivity to local transit is an order of magnitude better from the old Penn Station than from the Moynihan Train Hall. This has been predicted by anyone that actually uses Penn Station frequently for years.

Subways within 1 Ave Block:

Moynihan: Adjacent 8th Ave. IND (ACF), 1 Ave Block away 7th Ave IRT (123)
Penn Station: Adjacent 8th Ave IND (ACF), 7th Ave IRT (123), 1 Ave Block away: 6th Ave IND (BDFM), Broadway BMT (NQRW), PATH
The 8th Avenue Station is served by E trains, not F trains. However, that actually furthers your point since it means the F is within a block of the Old Penn Station but not Moynihan.

The 8th Avenue Station is served by E trains, not F trains. However, that actually furthers your point since it means the F is within a block of the Old Penn Station but not Moynihan.
Indeed! Finger slip. Fixed in the OP. Thanks for noticing it and bringing it to our attention!

This is definitely purposeful, they don't want people going down to the platform early for their nor do they want people meeting arriving passengers on the platform.
Indeed, this is because the platforms are narrow and provide inadequate circulation space. That is why they try to take steps to minimize the number of people that would be on the platform at any given point in time.

Oh, I am well aware of why they do it. But it still drives me crazy. My type A personality hates waiting until the last minute to know what track I am leaving from.

The E Train to NYP is the one I took from Queens when I flew into LaGuardia in May.

Quick Bus ride to the Broadway /Roosevelt Ave Station, then the E to NYP ($2.75).Quick walk thru NYP and up.into Moynihan.

Apparently others are frustrated with the lack of seating in the new hall. The pictures in this article were taken when I was there. I can barely make out my wife in one of the photos.
https://patch.com/new-york/midtown-nyc/seat-free-moynihan-train-hall-ridiculed-riders-slump-floor
I agree that seating is an issue. And I consider myself a liberal, agreeing that something needs to be done to get the homeless population into suitable housing (at least those willing to accept it.) But I don't get the assertion that every public building and transit vehicle should double as a homeless shelter.

I agree that seating is an issue. And I consider myself a liberal, agreeing that something needs to be done to get the homeless population into suitable housing (at least those willing to accept it.) But I don't get the assertion that every public building and transit vehicle should double as a homeless shelter.
Closing the train hall each night prevents it from becoming a true homeless shelter. There are also ways to design seats that make them pretty much impossible to sleep on.

It's a tough situation, for sure.

Back