Moynihan Train Hall

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently others are frustrated with the lack of seating in the new hall. The pictures in this article were taken when I was there. I can barely make out my wife in one of the photos.
https://patch.com/new-york/midtown-nyc/seat-free-moynihan-train-hall-ridiculed-riders-slump-floor

It's a legitimate problem. Truly a shame no one thought of this with before.

South Station (though way more of a commuter station) also has similar problems.

Closing the train hall each night prevents it from becoming a true homeless shelter. There are also ways to design seats that make them pretty much impossible to sleep on.

It's a tough situation, for sure.

Is it able to stay closed for long? 66 doesn't depart until close to 3am, and 67 3:20am. And the first train out is only a few hours away after that.

Is it able to stay closed for long? 66 doesn't depart until close to 3am, and 67 3:20am. And the first train out is only a few hours away after that.
Moynihan Hall is closed every night from 1:00 AM until 5:00 AM. Between those hours, all Amtrak operations are handled out of the old New York Penn Station.

It's a legitimate problem. Truly a shame no one thought of this with before.

South Station (though way more of a commuter station) also has similar problems.
I think the homeless-unfriendly aspect may have played a part, whether deliberate or unspoken. But I think the main problem was emphasizing form over function -- make it look pretty and impressive without sufficient attention to how well it would work.

IMHO they could install congruently designed benches along the edges of the stairwells without breaking up the sweep of the hall. That might even improve the appearance, by the presence of people seated there making the hall look less sterile.

IMHO they could install congruently designed benches along the edges of the stairwells without breaking up the sweep of the hall.
That would be an unobtrusive place for some benches. The problem is that this is exactly where they line people up for boarding. I agree with the “form over function“ observation.

If you have access to the Metro Lounge in Moynihan, they have a really good selection of food and drink that is served by friendly staff ( remember to tip), and coming soon there will be hot food and alcohol!

Sitting out on the Balconry overlooking the Main Hall is a real treat!
Oh. I didn't know that it was a thing to tip the staff in the lounges. Is that true also at the Chicago lounge?

I have never tipped in the lounges with 2 exceptions. When Chicago had manned bag check, I would tip the red cap, and also, when I had someone take a drink order and bring back the drinks... I haven't been in the new lounge in NY yet, some people have commented about food service, that might make the cut in the future, depending on how it is handled...

Oh. I didn't know that it was a thing to tip the staff in the lounges. Is that true also at the Chicago lounge?
No, just the Servers @ the Food Service area in Moynihan( they're not Amtrak Employees/ Contract) not the Amtrak attendants @ the Front Desks( unless they perform some special service for you like Ticketing, or Luggage handling etc.)

Closing the train hall each night prevents it from becoming a true homeless shelter. There are also ways to design seats that make them pretty much impossible to sleep on.

It's a tough situation, for sure.
Having followed the politics since the 1980s, the underlying issues are (1) the mental hospitals were closed by the Reagan administration and severely mentally ill people were literally thrown out on the street with no support, something we have still not corrected; (2) welfare support for other unemployed persons, particularly those without children, was almost eliminated starting under Reagan and continuing through the Clinton administration; (3) zoning has been used by local governments to make it illegal to construct enough apartments, resulting in housing prices skyrocketing; (4) the minimum wage has been left so low that it is not a living wage and many fully employed people cannot afford any kind of housing either.

All of this is quite beyond the ability of the transportation agencies to handle. They are major failures of our federal, state, and local governments.

As usual you can do whatever pleases you. I have never tipped anyone in the lounge.

No have I. But, I have never experienced anyone actually serving food or beverages, either.

No, just the Servers @ the Food Service area in Moynihan( they're not Amtrak Employees/ Contract) not the Amtrak attendants @ the Front Desks( unless they perform some special service for you like Ticketing, or Luggage handling etc.)

Thanks for clearing this tipping issue in the Lounges up. If someone is a true server, that is a possible reason why one would offer a gratuity.

Most major train stations in Europe also have minimal seating. I was just in Portugal, and the only seating I saw were a few benches on the platform itself. Nothing in the main area. I had to stand, but since I arrived 7 minutes before departure, it wasnt an issue.

The difference is:

-Amtrak tells people to arrive 45 minutes early, for no good reason vs 10 minutes max in Europe

-No assigned seats means people in groups DO need to arrive that early and get in line if they want to sit together vs assigned seats by default in Europe

-People arent allowed to wait on the platform / there have been no plans to widen the narrow Penn station platforms vs previous example of benches along platform

-There is no real baggage storage, so people cant drop their stuff off and wander away vs affordable storage lockers in every European rail station so you can leave your stuff and then go find a cafe across the street

While adding seating is A solution, there are also operational changes that could be made.

-People arent allowed to wait on the platform / there have been no plans to widen the narrow Penn station platforms vs previous example of benches along platform
The only way to widen the platforms at Penn Station would be to sacrifice some track(s). That is not going to happen, unless they can finish the 'gateway' project our otherwise find a way to expand the station. The platforms are more crowded now then they were before the big rebuild in the '60's when they added support columns for the Madison Square Garden above. Not to mention, a lot more people use the station now...

Arrived from an Empire Service train, and almost went into Penn Station! It’s a beautiful and modern station, however the lack of seating is easily it’s biggest drawback. I saw multiple people sitting on the floor, and did it myself when eating goodies from Magnolias Bakery (wonderful coconut macaroon). I saw there’s also a “lovepop”
Shop open and another one I didn’t get the name of.

I’ll take a look at the Metropolitan lounge tomorrow.

Edit:

To add a few things, most people disembarking from the train went into Penn, I only saw a few (maybe five) others go to Moynihan, which is a shame.

I love the station, it’s beautiful. Can’t wait to enjoy the metropolitan lounge tomorrow.

Attachments

• 35149AE4-BF43-464B-A61D-3DC6799DF799.jpeg
    35149AE4-BF43-464B-A61D-3DC6799DF799.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 13
  • B1C21BA1-F55C-496A-AD2B-D58A6717208B.jpeg
    B1C21BA1-F55C-496A-AD2B-D58A6717208B.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 13
  • D0E70A73-821B-4CE5-8C13-B9BD75B85D9C.jpeg
    D0E70A73-821B-4CE5-8C13-B9BD75B85D9C.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 13
That was exactly my experience. Not all of the people going into Penn are connecting to local transit. It's a shame that so many people will miss out on the beautiful new hall.
Since most arriving passengers are interested in getting home or their hotels or wherever, however they wish to do it, rather than lingering in the station. I don;t see the issue in them finding the closest stairs and exit from the station rather than taking a long walk to get to the new train hall. Do they really care about the grandeur of the new train hall? Unlikely that their care rises to the level of railfan fetish about it.

OTOH, if they are departing passenger there is an argument to be made to board Amtrak trains from the new train hall. But alas there are more seats to sit in to wait for a train in the old station than in the new train hall!

I'd say that, if you are going to spend $1.6 billion on a train hall, it's a shame that the vast majority of arriving passengers will not pass through it.
Everybody that looked at the pedestrian traffic flows have known that for years. It was supposed to be partly a Mall and partly a station thus hopefully generating more traffic. The Mall part has not quite happened partly due to COVID and partly other reasons. The $ whatever billion was justified by the real estate and commercial use development, not by the train station concourse alone.

What they really need to fix is the original Penn Station and all three users are diligently working on that as has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.

Depending on where my car is spotted on my trip in November, I'll probably exit through Penn. Since my hotel is pretty much at 6th Ave and 37th St I don't see the point of backtracking just to see Moynihan unless the Moynihan escalator is right there.

I do plan on arriving early for my departure to thoroughly explore Moynihan, though.

Depending on where my car is spotted on my trip in November, I'll probably exit through Penn. Since my hotel is pretty much at 6th Ave and 37th St I don't see the point of backtracking just to see Moynihan unless the Moynihan escalator is right there.

I do plan on arriving early for my departure to thoroughly explore Moynihan, though.
Could stay at the Fairfield next time. Solid hotel right across the street from Moynihan.

I think part of the problem with the Moynihan seating is the Covid pandemic. I think the thought was probably with the seating available in the old station, and the metro lounge along with the food hall and other venues that were supposed to be there 300 or so seats is all they’d need in the ticketed waiting area. There is some validity to that as typically before I qualified for the old club Acela Id usually wait for trains at TGI Fridays because as we all know there was nothing more vile than the penn station rest rooms. The ticketed waiting area in penn does seem like it’s gotten a decent face lift. I think when more dining options and the associated seating with the food hall opens that will help somewhat with the seating situation. This is also the situation at Boston and DC too - the dining options give some people somewhere else to go other than the waiting chairs.

Back