Moynihan Train Hall

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, so the Amtrak Ticketed Waiting area on the Penn side is still open? If so, is it still access controlled?
Yes in fact it got a major face lift - was completely redone and has a Starbucks. Don’t know the latter for sure but I’d suspect - there did appear to be someone at the entrance when I walked by it last. It says ticketed waiting area for Amtrak and New Jersey Transit passengers and red caps are even available I believe.

Wow… Moynihan Hall delivered quite a punch today after dragging off a packed NEC regional and wanting to stretch! The wide open and beautifully designed open spaces don't disappoint! Looks like some excellent restaurants will be opening soon… but not yet. So with Select Plus card in hand… and my ticket… and proof of vaccination… I headed into the flagship 1st class lounge. That didn't disappoint either! One can easily make a meal of the protein snacks and other goodies… including gourmet sodas and other non alcoholic drinks. They said hot food and alcoholic drinks will be added eventually.

So I sat out on the veranda overlooking the vast space and enjoyed a hot mini sandwich… and just took in this excellent space. Then went back and talked with the service manager. He said there is no piped in music so business travelers could conduct business without distractions. Food sourcing is through Aramark Services. Fresh fruit bowls, chips, munchies, candies, sweet desserts… everywhere... yum!

Also asked about other lounges… especially on the NEC - BOS, Philadelphia, and WAS… they lag far behind. "Oh," he said… this is definitely the flagship and Amtrak is waiting to see how things go [I'm assuming with funding.]

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

One thing about the Metro Lounge at Moynihan, however. They don't seem to facilitate preboarding for peple in lhe lounge the way they did at the old station. When they announced the Lakeshore Limited, I got stuck in the same cattle line at the escalor as everone else. No biggie for me, as I had a room, but if I were hustling for a sest on a regional, I'd regret the loss of preboarding.

One thing about the Metro Lounge at Moynihan, however. They don't seem to facilitate preboarding for peple in lhe lounge the way they did at the old station. When they announced the Lakeshore Limited, I got stuck in the same cattle line at the escalor as everone else. No biggie for me, as I had a room, but if I were hustling for a sest on a regional, I'd regret the loss of preboarding.

True… and just navigating is a struggle and requires a learning curve. Enjoying breakfast but concerned about running to and grabbing a coach seat to ALB at 11:20. Hoping it’s not crowded😙

It's beautiful but having the stairs empty in the middle of the hall instead of the sides will cause havoc when ridership increases. I've been there and I love it except for this one notable flaw.
Probably nothing they could do about it since they are directly above existing platforms. If they reversed the ones near the center and moved them to the edge then they would be very close to the other one below.

True… and just navigating is a struggle and requires a learning curve. Enjoying breakfast but concerned about running to and grabbing a coach seat to ALB at 11:20. Hoping it’s not crowded😙
I use the Moynihan lounge to get a Keystone to Harrisburg. By the time the track is announced,the line is almost a mile long. Lately I've been leaving the lounge 20 minutes before departure. It's usually on the same track. The Philly lounge lets you depart from elevators right to the track before the track is announced. In LA you can take a tram right to the track.

The trick for the Moynihan train hall is when the track is announced don't wait in line for the escalators in the hall but instead follow the signs to tracks 17-21 (aka the West End Concourse) and then use that to get to your track (and bypass the ticket checker) — somewhat like using the lower level in the old Penn Station. Of course now with assigned seating on the Acelas boarding ASAP isn't an issue for me but if you're on a regional then this could be helpful

The train hall has been opened for awhile now and it seems like everything known and said about it is well documented in photos, and videos. Would be nice when the main Penn Station concourse project is completed. Is anyone here like me supportive of an Apple Store opening in the Moynihan Train Hall? Seems to make sense considering they have one In Grand Central and by the World Trade Center transit hub. I would be supportive of one by Penn Station as well.

Do the Red Caps still pre board?

My suggestion would be to ask the lounge attendant for a red cap.

I use the Moynihan lounge to get a Keystone to Harrisburg. By the time the track is announced,the line is almost a mile long. Lately I've been leaving the lounge 20 minutes before departure. It's usually on the same track. The Philly lounge lets you depart from elevators right to the track before the track is announced. In LA you can take a tram right to the track.
I totally agree… unless you have a room or assigned business class seat this can be a stressful hassle … not pleasant at all🙁

A kind Amtrak employee offered to me the “Waiting Area” which may be theMetropolitan Lounge, but I just saw “waiting area”. It had wispy stylish bench seating and desks - all looking Scandinavian design. I was in Coach seating and walk slower these days - so my plan was to stay seated until 10 minute before arrival and watch where a crowd was hanging at an escalator - sure enough it was announced - and they were correct.

I was on the NYP to BOS with stopover in NLC. Yes the line at the escalator was very long but was gone in as New York minute!

A kind Amtrak employee offered to me the “Waiting Area” which may be theMetropolitan Lounge, but I just saw “waiting area”. It had wispy stylish bench seating and desks - all looking Scandinavian design. I was in Coach seating and walk slower these days - so my plan was to stay seated until 10 minute before arrival and watch where a crowd was hanging at an escalator - sure enough it was announced - and they were correct.

I was on the NYP to BOS with stopover in NLC. Yes the line at the escalator was very long but was gone in as New York minute!
You were in the Regular Waiting Room.
The Metro Lounge is upstairs and is only available to AGR Select + and Select Executive Members,( and their Guests) Same Day First Class Acela and Sleeping Car Passengers and Lounge Pass Holders.

You were in the Regular Waiting Room.
The Metro Lounge is upstairs and is only available to AGR Select + and Select Executive Members,( and their Guests) Same Day First Class Acela and Sleeping Car Passengers and Lounge Pass Holders.

If you're Select Plus/Select Executive, you also need a same day train ticket now. They actually check the computer if you don't show a ticket.

Thanks Joe, More "Less is More" from the Executive Suite in Washington for Amtraks Best Customers!🤬
It depends on who's at the check-n counter. The doc they most insisted upon was proof of vaccination... after that ticket or AGR membership card. While in NY I entered several times... just showing the AGR card and VAC cert.

It depends on who's at the check-n counter. The doc they most insisted upon was proof of vaccination... after that ticket or AGR membership card. While in NY I entered several times... just showing the AGR card and VAC cert.
Sounds like the way it used to be @ the Old Metro Lounge in Chicago Union Station.
( Amtraks Motto: " It Depends!")

BTW... while I was there before catching the Crescent, I ordered some food to take with... and what a nice 'to go' salad they had... outshines the flex salad by a country mile... was really thick with leafy veggies, onion, peppers, tomatoes, and the most delicious salad dressing. Now why can't they pack that same salad for the sleeper passengers who are paying big bucks for mediocre service??? Top 2 pics are the complementary salads from the lounge... and bottom pick is the flex salad.

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

BTW... while I was there before catching the Crescent, I ordered some food to take with... and what a nice 'to go' salad they had... outshines the flex salad by a country mile... was really thick with leafy veggies, onion, peppers, tomatoes, and the most delicious salad dressing. Now why can't they pack that same salad for the sleeper passengers who are paying big bucks for mediocre service??? Top 2 pics are the complementary salads from the lounge... and bottom pick is the flex salad.

View attachment 25008

View attachment 25009

View attachment 25010
I noticed that too when I was there in May, the stuff they were serving in the Lounge was much better than what was available on the Trains in the Diners and Cafes!

The new Amtrak Lounge is definitely much nicer than the old one with food and drink options as well as you can see from online reviews.

What is the purpose of the ticket checker if like the old section where you were able to avoid it, you can do the same with the new section? Seems to just slow up the line.

View attachment 25008

View attachment 25009
Now, that's a salad! I would take that on any Amtrak train any day!

Back