MPI/EMD F40s

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am someone who think that the direction that Amtrak is going in with the Siemens Charger fleets of long distance locomotives is that of a circus instead of a railroad. With the recent issues with the ALC-42s, Amtrak should have looked in the past for inspiration for the future. I would have loved to see them go with an F40 designed to meet tier-4 requirements. A work horse like the original, this model would have upgrades that would benefit crew and save the railroad cost dealing with a completely different animal. I think that the Charger class of locomotives are decent for commuter and regional service, but I have seen very little to believe that these units are not going to have issues pulling the Auto Train.

The 645 in a F40 isn't going to meet T4. Even a 710 is being pushed to its limits to reach T4. That leaves a QKS95, Cat C175-16/20, 1010J-12/16, GEVO or a few other prime movers.
Chargers have more HEP than F40, F59PH or P42 and with AC traction motors they require less upkeep.
2 P42 make 7800-6775 with 1 in HEP mode mattering on the load. ALC42 make 8400HP dropping down 6800 at full HEP while supplying 1000kw vs the 800kw of the P42

I had always thought that the F40 was one of the most reliable diesel-electrics in Amtraks fleet. It certainly proved better than its SDP-40F and P30PH predecessors.
Unfortunately, the 2 stroke EMD prime mover design is inherently a polluter..

I had always thought that the F40 was one of the most reliable diesel-electrics in Amtraks fleet. It certainly proved better than its SDP-40F and P30PH predecessors.
Unfortunately, the 2 stroke EMD prime mover design is inherently a polluter..
if the railroad can live with DEF like amtrak does its seeming like you can get them to meet T4, T3 has been an option for a long time now.
Are they going to hit T5 if its close to what california wants no, but I'm not sure any existing engine can

I'm just being resistant to change. I'm of the mindset that it doesn't have to be pretty just get the job done mentality. As far as the prime mover goes, I'm not against the cummins motor used in the charger units. I will admit that I miss seeing long distance trains with MHCs and freight on Amtrak trains. So watching them go for units that are less utilitarian take a lot of the fun out it for me.

Back