MSP Checked Baggage Issue?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I just had a weird exchange with someone on the Facebook Amtrak Empire Builder page. Someone posted a complaint that she had been told she couldn't check bags between MSP and GPK and was wondering how to handle her bags. I took a look at Amtrak.com, found that MSP and GPK both still offer checked baggage service. I responded with that, plus the information that Amtrak seems to be having a problem on at least some of their etickets where they'll say no checked baggage service when there actually is, an issue that I myself currently have seen on my own tickets ("no checked baggage" EVR-NYP, NYP-LAX, LAX-SEA !).

I also said that GPK is in seasonal closure and that the currently open winter station of Browning, MT (BRO) has no services, nor does West Glacier/Belton (WGL).

She responded that she talked to an agent at SPUD and they said there are no checked bags at all at there!

Personally, I think the MSP agent probably said something to the effect that there are no checked bags to Glacier right now, with GPK being in winter closure and no baggage service at WGL or BRO. However, I cannot completely discount that there may be a baggage issue at MSP, like the recent baggage elevator outage at Atlanta. I seem to recall it took quite some time for Amtrak to actually post a service notice about the temporary nature of the outage at Atlanta on Amtrak.com and many people were shocked when all of a sudden there was no checked baggage at Atlanta and wondered if it were a permanent change.

Does anyone have any information about any baggage issues at MSP?

Back