Must be missing something???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoTrDvr

OBS Chief
I was just on Amtrak.com looking at fares on the NEC (NYP<-->PHL). I picked a train offering the lowest coach fare ($36.00) on a Sat. for my particular travel date. The train offering indicated "Business class seat - add $25.00." I clicked that, and then added the train to my cart.

To my surprise and dismay, that $36.00 had instantly risen to $50.00 + the extra $25.00 for a business class seat (total $75.00), when added to the cart. When I started again and added just the coach seat to my cart, the fare remained at $36.00. For comparison, the website did the same thing when I tried an alternate itinerary to WAS.

:huh: :wacko: :help: Am I missing something? Is there some extra tariff for riding in business class in addition to the extra seat charge? Or, perhaps, coach seats are discounted somehow? Not really complaining. Just curious to know how it works.

Thanks much.

It is probably a special rail fare price that is only good for coach, not for upgrades. Seems I have heard of that happening before.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use a promo code (example Z987), that is a special % off the regular fare but is not upgradable. (I could be wrong but the same may be true with the 14 day advance fares.) The BC add on is based on a full fare ticket. (I'm not even sure if they can be used with discounts Iike AAA.)

The original coach fare you are seeing is the "E" bucket - the 25% discount for buying 14 days in advance.

When you book business class, it automatically changes the coach to the regular lowest bucket ticket, which is of course more than the E bucket.

The original coach fare you are seeing is the "E" bucket - the 25% discount for buying 14 days in advance.

When you book business class, it automatically changes the coach to the regular lowest bucket ticket, which is of course more than the E bucket.
If you use a promo code (example Z987), that is a special % off the regular fare but is not upgradable. (I could be wrong but the same may be true with the 14 day advance fares.) The BC add on is based on a full fare ticket. (I'm not even sure if they can be used with discounts Iike AAA.)
OK... Fair enough (no pun intended) :p Thanks all. I guess it would have helped if Amtrak indicated the coach discount a bit more clearly for comparison purposes. As it turns out, NJ Transit + SEPTA is far cheaper (almost 1/2 price). Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to go all the way through to WAS on regional lines (NJTR-->SEPTA-->DART-->MARC, etc.). So I'll need to keep that in mind when considering travel to DC.

Thanks Again! :hi:

OK... Fair enough (no pun intended) :p Thanks all. I guess it would have helped if Amtrak indicated the coach discount a bit more clearly for comparison purposes. As it turns out, NJ Transit + SEPTA is far cheaper (almost 1/2 price). Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to go all the way through to WAS on regional lines (NJTR-->SEPTA-->DART-->MARC, etc.). So I'll need to keep that in mind when considering travel to DC.

Someday in the, hopefully not too long, future, SEPTA is supposed to "connect" with MARC...probably at the Newark, DE station. I think the funding has been approved to work on the Newark station/old Chrysler Plant tracks, etc. to make this happen. Hopefully when this happens, SEPTA and MARC will add weekend trains.

Someday in the, hopefully not too long, future, SEPTA is supposed to "connect" with MARC...probably at the Newark, DE station. I think the funding has been approved to work on the Newark station/old Chrysler Plant tracks, etc. to make this happen. Hopefully when this happens, SEPTA and MARC will add weekend trains.
I was thinking, though, that there might be a bit of resistance from Amtrak itself, if only political rhetoric. :rolleyes: After all, Amtrak's HQ is WAS, and it would look really bad on them if the regional rails were able to undercut them on their own turf (i.e. NEC). Gotta keep that Acela well funded!!! :D

Am I missing something, or is Amtrak basically charging $39 for a "free" newspaper and a half-sized can of soda?
Plus more leg room. The Amfleet I business class cars have 62 seats while regular Amfleet I coach cars have 72 seats. Fewer young children in BC if you want to avoid kids running around. I'll upgrade sometimes to BC if I'm taking a longer trip on a NE Regional.

People appear to be willing to pay Amtrak the markup for BC on the Regionals, even with the minimal service upgrades for the BC seats. More revenue to Amtrak.

I was thinking, though, that there might be a bit of resistance from Amtrak itself, if only political rhetoric. :rolleyes: After all, Amtrak's HQ is WAS, and it would look really bad on them if the regional rails were able to undercut them on their own turf (i.e. NEC). Gotta keep that Acela well funded!!! :D
I believe before Amtrak will let MARC extend northward to Newark DE, they want other capacity improvements such as a 3rd track from Prince to Bacon interlocking north of Perryviile. Likely to be a while before MARC meets up with SEPTA at Newark DE.

Connections from MARC to SEPTA are not going to undercut the Acela business in any way. Perhaps the Regionals a little. If someone wants to get from northern NJ to WAS or BAL by taking NJ Transit to Trenton, then SEPTA on 1 or 2 commuter trains from Trenton to 30th Street to Newark DE, then MARC to BAL or WAS, more power to them. That is a long sloooowwww way to go sitting in commuter seats on multiple trains.

I would like to take this Amtrak ticket pricing to a different level.

I just put is for a one way ticket LAX to CHI leaving LAX on December 2.

I got seven choices, but two of them really hit me. First I can ride 422 - Texas Eagle the entire trip for $156, or I could ride the Sunset Limited to San Antonio, and the Texas Eagle the rest of the way for $195.

Wait for it,

YES,

It's the same train. Parden my french but ***?

BTW of the seven choices the TE all the way was cheapest, SWC was tied for next @ $195.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to go all the way through to WAS on regional lines (NJTR-->SEPTA-->DART-->MARC, etc.). So I'll need to keep that in mind when considering travel to DC.
DART? It'd be very long to travel from NYP to WAS via Dallas no?
mosking.gif

I have done NYP to PHL using regional rail instead of Amtrak (NJT+SEPTA, cross-platform transfer at Trenton) and it is very time consuming compared to Amtrak. When you extend that slower speed commuter trip all the way to WAS, you'd be looking at something like 7-8 hours journey from New York to Washington, that too if all the transfers aligned well. One would be better off taking Megabus/Boltbus. I-95 can be trafficked but not THAT much!

I got seven choices, but two of them really hit me. First I can ride 422 - Texas Eagle the entire trip for $156, or I could ride the Sunset Limited to San Antonio, and the Texas Eagle the rest of the way for $195.

Wait for it,

YES,

It's the same train. Parden my french but ***?
We know it is the same train, but for the computer it is all demand and supply based. If the Eagle or Sunset beyond San Antonio is getting filled up, prices on that combination will go up. It is precisely for that reason that you are given an alternative called train #422 which is cheaper.

And btw, its not really the same train. By paying $39 extra for 2/22 you get the extra facility of requiring to get off the train at San Antonio at 4 in the morning, spend some time in the station building and board the next train in an hour and half
tongue.gif

I got seven choices, but two of them really hit me. First I can ride 422 - Texas Eagle the entire trip for $156, or I could ride the Sunset Limited to San Antonio, and the Texas Eagle the rest of the way for $195. Wait for it, YES, It's the same train. Parden my french but ***?
We know it is the same train, but for the computer it is all demand and supply based.
The demand ratio for the 422/22 would probably be 90%/10% for trips passing through San Antonio if Amtrak's website made it crystal clear that the 22 option requires you to get off the train and sit in the barebone station. Unfortunately Amtrak's website leaves it up to you to figure it out. Last time I was in the San Antonio station they didn't even have the infomercial channels anymore. Maybe someone forgot to pay the bill?

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to go all the way through to WAS on regional lines (NJTR-->SEPTA-->DART-->MARC, etc.). So I'll need to keep that in mind when considering travel to DC.
DART? It'd be very long to travel from NYP to WAS via Dallas no?
mosking.gif

I have done NYP to PHL using regional rail instead of Amtrak (NJT+SEPTA, cross-platform transfer at Trenton) and it is very time consuming compared to Amtrak. When you extend that slower speed commuter trip all the way to WAS, you'd be looking at something like 7-8 hours journey from New York to Washington, that too if all the transfers aligned well. One would be better off taking Megabus/Boltbus. I-95 can be trafficked but not THAT much!
DART is Delaware's regional transit...buses, no trains of our own.

Connections from MARC to SEPTA are not going to undercut the Acela business in any way. Perhaps the Regionals a little. If someone wants to get from northern NJ to WAS or BAL by taking NJ Transit to Trenton, then SEPTA on 1 or 2 commuter trains from Trenton to 30th Street to Newark DE, then MARC to BAL or WAS, more power to them. That is a long sloooowwww way to go sitting in commuter seats on multiple trains.
Well, I do realize that "time is money" and, given the success of Acela, most would rather spend the money and save time. I suppose I would as well, if I ever needed to get there quickly. However, right now, I have the time, and I'd prefer to save money. :) But it's a moot point anyway unless/until MARC reaches the Newark DE station. I gather that DART has no reason to take on a rail division (and the resultant bureaucracy) just for that little stretch of track.

Well, I do realize that "time is money" and, given the success of Acela, most would rather spend the money and save time. I suppose I would as well, if I ever needed to get there quickly. However, right now, I have the time, and I'd prefer to save money. :) But it's a moot point anyway unless/until MARC reaches the Newark DE station. I gather that DART has no reason to take on a rail division (and the resultant bureaucracy) just for that little stretch of track.
There has been talk in the past about a North-South train in DE (to Dover and beyond), but I have no idea where things stand on that. I don't know if they still run a special train to the state fair (in lower DE). But yeah, I doubt it would be worth it to buy the equipment, etc to run from Claymont to Newark since SEPTA is available and many people in DE take SEPTA to Philly.

There has been talk in the past about a North-South train in DE (to Dover and beyond), but I have no idea where things stand on that. I don't know if they still run a special train to the state fair (in lower DE). But yeah, I doubt it would be worth it to buy the equipment, etc to run from Claymont to Newark since SEPTA is available and many people in DE take SEPTA to Philly.
I do drive often through DE to DC along the eastern shore route (DE 1 --> DE 896 --> US 301/50) and it's developed more and more, each time. Perhaps a route through there might make sense at some point, but not now.

I do drive often through DE to DC along the eastern shore route (DE 1 --> DE 896 --> US 301/50) and it's developed more and more, each time. Perhaps a route through there might make sense at some point, but not now.
Would that be I95-->896-->301/50? DE1 does not intersect with 896 north of the canal and once you're below the canal you stay on 301/50 (where 896 turns off to meet up with DE1). Until they finish the fly-over from 95 to 1 by the mall, I'd stay on 95 to 273 and back track to 1 or go down to follow your stated route.

WIth DE 1 built, I suspect the "need" for the train is not as critical now.

Would that be I95-->896-->301/50? DE1 does not intersect with 896 north of the canal and once you're below the canal you stay on 301/50 (where 896 turns off to meet up with DE1). Until they finish the fly-over from 95 to 1 by the mall, I'd stay on 95 to 273 and back track to 1 or go down to follow your stated route.

I take:

1. I-95 (Delaware Tpk.) --> DE 1
  2. DE 1 --> across the canal (on the new spanning bridge) and through the toll to the first exit thereafter ( Ex. 142 - There's a fire station on the corner).
  3. Turn right at the above exit. This is shown as DE 896 (Boyd's Corner Rd.) on Google Maps. It feeds into DE 71/US 301.
  4. Turn left onto DE71 / US 301 South (DE 896 seems to turn north there). Follow it through MD to the 301/50 junction. Continue across the Bay Bridge and on US50 to DC.
It's part of my standard route to get to Lorton for the AT. :D

I take:

1. I-95 (Delaware Tpk.) --> DE 1
  2. DE 1 --> across the canal (on the new spanning bridge) and through the toll to the first exit thereafter ( Ex. 142 - There's a fire station on the corner).
  3. Turn right at the above exit. This is shown as DE 896 (Boyd's Corner Rd.) on Google Maps. It feeds into DE 71/US 301.
  4. Turn left onto DE71 / US 301 South (DE 896 seems to turn north there). Follow it through MD to the 301/50 junction. Continue across the Bay Bridge and on US50 to DC.
It's part of my standard route to get to Lorton for the AT. :D
Duh on my part. :p I was thinking of getting on 896 (since I live near it) above the canal and how it branches off to Boyd's Corner - and not that you'd go down DE 1 to Boyd's Corner then onto 896 to get to 301.

As I mentioned above you may want to rethink getting on DE1 from I-95 for a while until they finish the fly-over - then it will be a breeze compared to how it is now getting off I-95 at DE1. I have no need to get on DE 1 from I-95, but I do take another road over it to get to the mall so I have seen the destruction construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back