Must Sleeper types for EM/CZ ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheerose

Train Attendant
In my planning, I've got a solo trip in mind with either 3 or 6 segments (yeah... it's a bit nuts).

In either case, 2 of my segments would be on trains that, with the brief amount of research that I've done, are "must get a sleeper vs. coach" picks. EB and the CZ ... (I've also get the SWC as a potential option, but, again through brief research, see that the CZ is the 'better' choice of the two).

As you have probably experienced first hand (multiple times), prices can vary depending on date. The bedroom looks to be out of my price range currently, so I've been looking between the Roomette or the Family Bedroom. At the moment, I can't get a FB on both segments for my trip... or this wouldn't be a question.

With your past experiences, is one of these routes "better suited" for the FB versus the R ? Or does it really matter, since you'll be in the observation car most of the day anyway?

I upgrade to a Family Bedroom or, better yet, a Bedroom whenever possible. I like the extra storage space and wider lower berth. The window situation for a Family Bedroom is kind of a wash for me--the view is restricted by the small windows, but it's nice to be able to see out either side from my room. And, as you mention, for serious scenery I head to the Sightseer Lounge.

With your past experiences, is one of these routes "better suited" for the FB versus the R ? Or does it really matter, since you'll be in the observation car most of the day anyway?

While they're more space, Family Bedrooms are kind of dingy. I personally prefer Roomettes on the upper level. For the best parts of the CZ, you really want to be in a roomette for the views--since the observation car can get quite crowded.

As one with many thousands of miles in Superliner sleeping cars since they were introduced about 1980, I find I prefer lower level roomettes for lower cost and better convenience to the toilets (no plumbing in Superliner roomettes or family bedrooms). It's also quieter, especially #13 or #14, which abut the family bedroom. I should note that the upstairs toilet adjacent to roomette #1 (the attendants' room) may or may not be kept as clean as one might wish as it gets the traffic from 10 roomettes as well as perhaps someone passing through or from the adjacent dining car. It varies from attendant to attendant.

I've managed to occupy every room in a Superliner sleeper through the years, but mostly roomettes. The handicap room, at the opposite end of the lower level from family bedroom, are both unique that they are 'full width' and have windows on both sides, albeit less than 1/2 the size of all the other Superliner windows. As I always travel solo, I feel 'lost' in the large space provided in each. Although the handicap room has plumbing, it also gets a lot of door slamming sounds from the 3 toilets and shower that are on that end of the car. So of the two, my preference is the FB.

Bedrooms, if reasonably priced...ie, 'competitive with roomette prices' are great. Full plumbing including a shower in the tiny toilet 'room'. I think they took that idea from the RV industry. The lower bed is also wider than all other beds in the car other than the lower bed in the family bedroom. But to me, the downside of a bedroom is the beds are perpendicular to the rails, meaning that the side to side swaying (more pronounced on the upper level were the bedrooms are) is head to toe rocking while in bed. It takes some getting used to, in my opinion.

So, for me, a roomette is always my first choice. Among other things, I can prop myself up and watch out the window while horizontal (I never use the upper bed). And since one can't book a specific room number online, I always ask the Amtrak agent to put me in #14 if available, or any other lower level roomette in descending number order. Lower level rooms have the advantage that I can grab a wet paper towel plus a dry one and clean my window at a stop when the platform is on the same side as my roomette. Also, being on the lower level, it's only a couple steps to the vestibule to watch out the doorway windows on either side as desired. It also saves me from hoisting my airline-carry-on-size rolling bag containing my clothing and 'gym bag' containing my meds, toiletries and electronics up the stairs when boarding. It also affords an easy glimpse to determine if the shower is available and saves a trip down the steps and back up if it's occupied.

As for the Sightseer lounge car, it seems clear that many passengers know well in advance when the best scenery will be traversed and the car fills within 5 to 10 minutes after departing Denver, for example. And unless one has a traveling companion, going to the restroom, snack bar, or diner, may well find your seat taken upon your return. Add in that in the section with tables, people will 'camp out' putting all their stuff on the table leaving maybe enough space on the other side for another person with a laptop and/or some food and beverage. It's no different on the NEC with the 'campers' in the lounge car for the full duration of their trip. And the conductor(s) are unwilling to intervene, in my experience. And, of course, the conductor(s) keep one table for themselves, unless there's an open bedroom in one of the sleepers.

So, for me, a roomette is always my first choice. Among other things, I can prop myself up and watch out the window while horizontal (I never use the upper bed). And since one can't book a specific room number online, I always ask the Amtrak agent to put me in #14 if available, or any other lower level roomette in descending number order. Lower level rooms have the advantage that I can grab a wet paper towel plus a dry one and clean my window at a stop when the platform is on the same side as my roomette. Also, being on the lower level, it's only a couple steps to the vestibule to watch out the doorway windows on either side as desired. It also saves me from hoisting my airline-carry-on-size rolling bag containing my clothing and 'gym bag' containing my meds, toiletries and electronics up the stairs when boarding. It also affords an easy glimpse to determine if the shower is available and saves a trip down the steps and back up if it's occupied.

As for the Sightseer lounge car, it seems clear that many passengers know well in advance when the best scenery will be traversed and the car fills within 5 to 10 minutes after departing Denver, for example. And unless one has a traveling companion, going to the restroom, snack bar, or diner, may well find your seat taken upon your return. Add in that in the section with tables, people will 'camp out' putting all their stuff on the table leaving maybe enough space on the other side for another person with a laptop and/or some food and beverage. It's no different on the NEC with the 'campers' in the lounge car for the full duration of their trip. And the conductor(s) are unwilling to intervene, in my experience. And, of course, the conductor(s) keep one table for themselves, unless there's an open bedroom in one of the sleepers.

There is one of the lower level rooms that's really good because it is missing the hall window so you can get it almost blackout dark at night which I like. I've had that room once. I generally prefer the upper level however.

As to the California Zephyr departing Denver. Use the restroom before departing Denver and then go straight to the lounge. Go to breakfast in the diner right when it opens at 6:30 so you don't have to mess with leaving the car. Then for any needs you have like the cafe or bathroom use the one on the sightseer lounge while in the Moffet Tunnel. They won't let anyone cross between cars then so your seat will still be yours when you return because no one new can come in. And the tunnel takes about six plus minutes to clear. And not like you miss scenery in a black pit under a mountain.

As one with many thousands of miles in Superliner sleeping cars since they were introduced about 1980, I find I prefer lower level roomettes for lower cost and better convenience to the toilets (no plumbing in Superliner roomettes or family bedrooms). It's also quieter, especially #13 or #14, which abut the family bedroom. I should note that the upstairs toilet adjacent to roomette #1 (the attendants' room) may or may not be kept as clean as one might wish as it gets the traffic from 10 roomettes as well as perhaps someone passing through or from the adjacent dining car. It varies from attendant to attendant.

I've managed to occupy every room in a Superliner sleeper through the years, but mostly roomettes. The handicap room, at the opposite end of the lower level from family bedroom, are both unique that they are 'full width' and have windows on both sides, albeit less than 1/2 the size of all the other Superliner windows. As I always travel solo, I feel 'lost' in the large space provided in each. Although the handicap room has plumbing, it also gets a lot of door slamming sounds from the 3 toilets and shower that are on that end of the car. So of the two, my preference is the FB.

Bedrooms, if reasonably priced...ie, 'competitive with roomette prices' are great. Full plumbing including a shower in the tiny toilet 'room'. I think they took that idea from the RV industry. The lower bed is also wider than all other beds in the car other than the lower bed in the family bedroom. But to me, the downside of a bedroom is the beds are perpendicular to the rails, meaning that the side to side swaying (more pronounced on the upper level were the bedrooms are) is head to toe rocking while in bed. It takes some getting used to, in my opinion.

As someone who has also traveled thousands of miles in Superliners back to the '80s, I would beg to differ on preferences if you are a couple and older. We never tried the FBR until a few weeks ago, but we loved it. Better than two roomettes by far and the restrooms and showers down the hall are overcome by the extra room available.

After our return, we discussed our preferences for overnight travel and decided that unless the prices were out of line (i.e. the cost of the preferred one was at least $200 more than the next choice), FBR is first, two roomettes across from each other are second, BR is third and two separated roomettes was last. If only one roomette were available, no matter how low the cost, we would not book it.

For daytime travel where we decided to take a room, one roomette would be fine. So unless a BR (second choice) or FBR (third choice) was really close in price, we'd go with the single roomette. Two roomettes would be just a waste of money.

Because neither of us is tall and both of us now find it easier to not climb, the two roomettes and the FBR allow us to both sleep on the bottom bunk. In the FBR, we can both share share the combined adult and kids bed. However, the next time we get one, we're going to try doing me on upper adult and she on lower one, then hang a blanket from ceiling (using Gaffer's tape) between those beds and the seats so if I want to get up and sit for a while (like I often do), I can sit in that separate "room" and any light would not bother her. For an extended sitting, I would go to the SSL. I'd also hang a blanket in front of room door so that exiting won't bathe the room in bright light in the middle of the night.

This one post that you left here right now is one of the best---if not THEE best specific advice tips I have ever read in regard to First Class Amtrak riding. This even helped me and I've ridden plenty since 1976. THANK YOU.

While they're more space, Family Bedrooms are kind of dingy. I personally prefer Roomettes on the upper level. For the best parts of the CZ, you really want to be in a roomette for the views--since the observation car can get quite crowded.
Although if there’s not that much obstructing the FB windows, you can spend as much time staring out either side unlike in the SSL which sometimes has a two hour limit.

A few years ago, my wife and I saved a few bucks by taking the westbound CZ out of Chicago in coach. At 11PM CT we switched to a roomette in Omaha. We had the roomette until Grand Junction Colorado when we switched back to coach for the rest of our trip back to Winnemucca NV.
The two best daytime scenery areas on the CZ are the Glenwood Canyon and the Ruby Canyon in Colorado IMO.

The rooms are allocated when you buy your ticket, you can ask for a specific room by talking to an agent. (Not all agents are helpful, or knowledgeable, and some rooms might be already taken of course...)
The majority of members here do prefer sleepers of one sort of another, but I have traveled thousands of happy Amtrak miles in coach seats...

Back