My 12/26/18 #97 and 1/23/19 #98 Amtrak Journey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota 400

Engineer
Itinerary was Washington to Fort Lauderdale and, obviously, a return trip.

Minutes before arriving at Union Station, I called the Red Cap Office and requested a Red Cap.  Within a short time after arriving at the station, a Red Cap found me with his golf cart.  This gentleman was one of the most helpful and pleasant employees that I have met employed by any transportation company.  He "gathered" me up, got me to the check-in counter quickly, and delivered me to Club Acela with the "promise" that he would return 20-30 minutes before train time to deliver me to the Silver Meteor.  Arriving on time, he transported me and another passenger to our Sleeper and even took my luggage to my Roomette.  He earned his gratuity and was a great start to my trip.

My SCA greeted me, reviewing the features of my Roomette and informed me of my 8:00 dinner reservation that he had made for me.  #97 departed on time (although, starting with our Alexandria departure, we ran late throughout the  trip).  Arriving at the dining car, I was promptly seated, enjoying my tablemates and good service from the diner's staff.  My steak dinner was well prepared and filling, leaving only room for the Vanilla Pudding for dessert.  After dinner, I patronized the Lounge Car for a nightcap before retiring for the night.

The next morning, breakfast was just as good as was lunch while I enjoyed the scenery en route to Fort Lauderdale.

While we ran late the entire trip, we were only 64 minutes arriving in Fort Lauderdale.  Claiming checked luggage provided more luggage security than one gets at airports.  The woman at FTL responsible for luggage required passengers (of which there were quite a few) to line up after she got the luggage off the train, produce claim checks before she would release the guest's luggage..

As I "feared", no taxi line-up except for two cabs, both of which left before I got my luggage.  I was glad that I had the number of Yellow Cab, one of which arrived within 10 minutes my call and which proved to me that this taxi company offers better service and rates than others in Fort Lauderdale after other local transportation/cab services that I used.

1/23/19:  Amtrak says that one needs to arrive 45 minutes before train time to check luggage.  I arrived about 55 minutes at the Fort Lauderdale station for a 8:50 A.M. train departure.  The station did not open until 8:30.  Fortunately, benches along the outside of the station were available until the station's staff arrived.  Luggage was checked, again by the same woman who, I think, is a very efficient Amtrak employee.  

The train arrived on time and I was welcomed aboard 9811 by Walter, the SCA.  Quickly, he learned that I was a previous Viewliner roomette passenger so that the usual orientation was not needed.  Then, surprise to me, he said that the diner was open for breakfast.  I had not expected this, but was most welcome since I had to check-out of my hotel before its restaurant was open for breakfast.

Breakfast in the diner:  after ordering scrambled eggs and bacon and experiencing my initial staff contacts:  I thought that this diner was being staffed by a different crew's attitude than during my Southbound trip.  My scrambled eggs were overcooked, lunch was undercooked, my dinner Salmon was overcooked--nearly dry in taste.  The SA was more interested in teaching the LSA how to operate a small keyboard device than she was in serving her customers.  The LSA did his job, but nothing more.  Making dinner reservations, the times seemed odd.  I had a choice of 5:00, 5:30. 6:30. or 8:00.  (The dining times throughout the day seemed to include plenty of "rest time" for all three of the dining staff as I observed their journeys to their quarters at the end of the train.)  I chose an 8:00 dinner reservation.  Arriving somewhat early for that time, I waited much too long for the SA to even notice me and was then informed "You are too early".  I retired to the Lounge Car and bought my bottle of wine.  (Having patronized this car before lunch and then again, the Lounge Car's attendant was friendly and pleasant--quite a contrast to the diner's staff.)

My SCA, Walter, needs to be recognized for his helpful, cheerful, and pleasant service.  Arriving at Washington, there was only one Red Cap servicing my train and he waited on the platform with me until the sole Red Cap made a second trip to collect another guest  and me.  My Red Cap did collect my luggage and quickly got me to the taxi stand, loading the luggage in the cold rain.  While he did his job as expected, a bit more friendly attitude would have been more pleasant at such an early hour and in such weather conditions.  (I understand this last comment is clearly a "first world comment".) 

When we got to the baggage claim area, there were several Red Caps doing nothing.  I wonder why one or more were not dispatched for the Silver Meteor's arrival.  Retrieving the luggage claim checks at Washington also impressed me with Amtrak's attempt to safeguard a passenger's checked luggage.

For those interested:  the diner on #97 was Harrisburg and on #98 was Nashville.  My #98 sleeper was a Viewliner I and certainly showed in the interior the many miles it has traveled, but she was comfortable and clean.  I failed to record the sleeper on #97, but I think it may have been a Viewliner II inasmuch it seemed to be "newer" in her interior condition than the other car.

Bottom Line:  I enjoyed my train trips.  No major issues arose before, during, or after them.  I slept in my Roomette both ways better than I often do at home.  I met, once again, interesting people with one gentleman being a member of the AU Forum who travels  Amtrak "just for fun".  (He lives in Springfield, MA and I have lost his AU name.)  One wish for Amtrak:  expand your beverage menu in the Lounge Car.  No Canadian whisky?  And, the reason for that is what?  Not everybody likes scotch or bourbon.

I am already planning how I can connect my next cruise with an Amtrak trip.

Great report! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

For those interested:  the diner on #97 was Harrisburg and on #98 was Nashville.  My #98 sleeper was a Viewliner I and certainly showed in the interior the many miles it has traveled, but she was comfortable and clean.  I failed to record the sleeper on #97, but I think it may have been a Viewliner II inasmuch it seemed to be "newer" in her interior condition than the other car.
None of the V-II sleepers have been delivered yet, so you were in a Viewliner I both ways

I met, once again, interesting people with one gentleman being a member of the AU Forum who travels  Amtrak "just for fun".  (He lives in Springfield, MA and I have lost his AU name.)
1@bratkinson[/USER] 1@lordsigma[/USER] ?

Great report! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

None of the V-II sleepers have been delivered yet, so you were in a Viewliner I both ways

1@bratkinson[/USER] 1@lordsigma[/USER] ?

Thank you!  bratkinson is the gentleman whom I met.

Back