My 2nd Post Vaccine Get-A-Way Amtrak Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Just booked my second Post Vaccine Amtrak Get-A-Way trip with AGR.

I'll be boarding #421 in Austin on Wed 4/14 with a Roomette ( only 6,400 Points each way, but on #421 I'll be downstairs since #2-#10 are booked!))heading to the Place of my birth and favorite small Texas City, Alpine.😍

I'll be traveling Light and Traveling Right with just a Backpack and a Bag of essentials to carry on since theres no checked baggage to Unstaffed Alpine ( even though it's a Crew change stop for Amtrak and UP)

Leave Austin @ 6:31pm( Hopefully!), have Dinner Lite ( the COD and the Lobster Dishes were very good on my 1st Trip) in the CCC as we roll down to San Antonio.

Not sure if I'll detrain this trip during the Switching with #1 for a Dennys visit, I usually cant sleep during this, especially when the #421 Sleeper is on the front of #21/ #421 and requires Multiple Switching moves.

After Breakfast Lite ( No Omelette, I learned my lesson on my Dallas trip!), I'll kick back in the Sightseer Lounge( luckily the Sunset still has one!😍)and enjoy the Big Nowhere.( there is usually Game and the Border Patrol moving around early)

After arrival into Alpine around early Lunch time ( Hopefully!) I'll go have Lunch in one of the Mom and Pop Alpine Cafes, walk around sightseeing and plan on having a nice Dinner in one of the Better Cafes.( Good Steak and Chichuahuan/West Texas Mexican Food).

Hopefully the #422 will be on time ( theres been lots of delays lately due to UP Freight congestion West of here), but I'll wait for the Train @ on of the nice Clubs/ Beer Joints close to the Amtrak Station.😁( on the Patio, not inside!)

I'll sleep since it's usually Dark till San Antonio, have another Lite Breakfast on the way to Austin and hopefully be home by 10:00AM. on Friday!

Call me crazy, but I'm really excited about this trip!😊

Last edited:
Can’t keep you home now, Jim, can we?😁😊

Sounds like a wonderful trip—looking forward to your posts on it, and really glad for you that you are making up for this past year and getting out and about!😊

Looks good, Jim!! You're making up for lost time traveling by Amtrak!
Hey Jeff, when you get to be my age, you're day to day, so I'm slowly easing back into Travel!

I Like your Road trips, I'm planning a Summer trip to the NE and of course hope to be in CHI for the Gathering!

If yall come my way again on the Eagle I'll try to ride awhile with yall like before!

Just booked my second Post Vaccine Amtrak Get-A-Way trip with AGR.

I'll be boarding #421 in Austin on Wed 4/14 with a Roomette ( only 6,400 Points each way, but on #421 I'll be downstairs since #2-#10 are booked!))heading to the Place of my birth and favorite small Texas City, Alpine.😍

I'll be traveling Light and Traveling Right with just a Backpack and a Bag of essentials to carry on since theres no checked baggage to Unstaffed Alpine ( even though it's a Crew change stop for Amtrak and UP)

Leave Austin @ 6:31pm( Hopefully!), have Dinner Lite ( the COD and the Lobster Dishes were very good on my 1st Trip) in the CCC as we roll down to San Antonio.

Not sure if I'll detrain this trip during the Switching with #1 for a Dennys visit, I usually cant sleep during this, especially when the #421 Sleeper is on the front of #21/ #421 and requires Multiple Switching moves.

After Breakfast Lite ( No Omelette, I learned my lesson on my Dallas trip!), I'll kick back in the Sightseer Lounge( luckily the Sunset still has one!😍)and enjoy the Big Nowhere.( there is usually Game and the Border Patrol moving around early)

After arrival into Alpine around early Lunch time ( Hopefully!) I'll go have Lunch in one of the Mom and Pop Alpine Cafes, walk around sightseeing and plan on having a nice Dinner in one of the Better Cafes.( Good Steak and Chichuahuan/West Texas Mexican Food).

Hopefully the #422 will be on time ( theres been lots of delays lately due to UP Freight congestion West of here), but I'll wait for the Train @ on of the nice Clubs/ Beer Joints close to the Amtrak Station.😁( on the Patio, not inside!)

I'll sleep since it's usually Dark till San Antonio, have another Lite Breakfast on the way to Austin and hopefully be home by 10:00AM. on Friday!

Call me crazy, but I'm really excited about this trip!😊
Sounds great Jim! That's just the kind of trip I'd be looking for. Looking forward to your report.

Second dose tomorrow for me, so looking at Mystic in mid-May. I need to take baby steps to travel and be around people again, so Philly or any city will be a while.

Yep, it's one of the few LD trips left where you can do a same day turn.( I think you can do this in WAS and NYP on the Silver Trains also??)

It still gives me 10-12 Hours in Alpine, which isnt that big as you saw on the Sunset Ltd.
A perfect trip then :D

Back