My first Amtrak trip on eastbound Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just returned home (Louisville, KY) this afternoon from Chicago. I flew to Seattle on Monday and stayed overnight. The #8 Empire Builder was supposed to leave Seattle Union Station. We learned our train was delayed until 8 pm. We didn't board the train until 10:00 pm. So, #8 remained 7 hours behind the entire trip. This was my first time and I benefitted greatly from the advice I got on this forum. I was a single in a roomette and quickly realized I could use the top bunk to store my backpack and small suitcase (they would never have fit in the room) I slept very well both nights. I enjoyed the dining car and particularly chatting with people around me, not to mention both servers who were there at every one of the six meals. I was surprised by how wonderful it was just sitting in my chair in my roomette and watching the scenery go by. I had read many comments about this but thought to myself I will get bored with that. I never did! We had fewer stretch breaks because of the delay but I took advantage of them. I wouldn't have bothered with the breaks if I had not read so much about them on here. My attendant was courteous, helpful, and always willing to engage me when he walked by and asked when I would like my seats made into the lower bed. Because of the advice on here, I made sure I boarded the train with cash in the correct denominations so that I could tip at meals and tip the attendant at the end of the journey. I settled on $20 per day in the dining car and $50 for the trip with the attendant. Again, I would not have known what was appropriate without the advice from here. This forum really helps new passengers feel more comfortable and aware of the particularities of sleeper train travel. A few final thoughts: 1. I thought I would be able to buy snacks near the train station. My search was fruitless. I had been warned on here that there were no services in the station. 2. I bought a regular razor with me. Next time it will be a cordless one. This was nerve-rattling on a moving train. 3. Taking a shower on a moving, lurching train was a surreal experience. Even with the difficult beginning (ten hours in that Seattle station), it was a great trip and a great experience. I next will want to try the CZ. Thanks again for the advice. I hope I can help with new travelers soon.

I'm so glad you had a good time! For many, this would've been their first and last Amtrak trip. It's great that you enjoyed it. You also were able to see all the best scenery in Idaho and Montana, most of which is usually passed in darkness, so congratulations!

Back