My First Complaint Letter - feeling kind of bad right now

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
After more than 20,000 Amtrak miles and many letters of commendation, I just sent Amtrak my first complaint. I gave this lots of thought, because people's careers are involved. But I just felt this was something I had to do.

Last week, my sister and I took an overnight trip to SF. This was her 1st Amtrak experience, and I hope not her last.

The trip to SF was terrific, but the bus connection back (SFW to EMY) was crazy! When the driver opened the door, he barked "Take a seat"! (I have dogs, so I don't take the term "barked" lightly)! Since he was still coming down the steps, I really couldn't take a seat immediately, so he barked it again. As soon as I could, I got on the bus since I had no luggage to put in the under-bus bin. My 70 year old sister, on the other hand, had a large duffle and her walker. Yes, a walker. She has broken bones in both of her feet and has walking casts. He opened the bin, stepped aside, and motioned for her to load her stuff. She asked him to please load her bag and walker, and he belligerently did so. She painfully made her way up the stairs while he followed close behind her. I honestly thought he was going to push her, at one point.

At the Ferry Building stop, a very friendly gentleman was waiting. He was forced to load his own bag, also, and told to "take a seat". We smiled and greeted him to make up for the rude driver.

When we got to EMY, the driver did unload the bags, but plopped the friendly gentleman's bag in a puddle. Was it carelessness or deliberate? I don't know, but it was the only puddle in the vicinity. Also, he made no attempt to get my sister's walker close to the bottom of the bus stairs. Glad I was there to take care of her.

The rest of the trip was great. In fact, we are laughing about the whole incident. We have both gone through some pretty tough times in our lives, but are known as the "giggle sisters" for our ability to see the funny side of most situations. That's what makes me feel bad about reporting this event.

Did I do the right thing?

I think you did the right thing, Amtrak don't need that kind of driver to turn off new riders since he is the first person every see before they board Amtrak.

I have seen drivers yell at passengers but in term the passengers were cussing out the driver as well. If you feel that the situation was not up to par it is your right to file a complaint. As long as you believe it was validated, which based on your description this most certainly was, then you shouldn't feel sorry. You are just trying to help prevent these instances from happening again. Think of it as constructive criticism on how to make the service better in the future :)

And just so you know Amtrak actually does not operate that (or any of the Amtrak Thruway Routes). The bus operates under the Amtrak California Logo and Brand Name, however, the California Department of Transportation administers the contracts for Amtrak California and the Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority oversees their respective bus operations in conjunction with Caltrans and Amtrak. That route is known as Route 99 (though the trip itself will say Route # *Train/Bus Trip Number* on the destination sign) and is Operated by SFO Airporter under the name of Compass Transportation dba Veolia Transportation. The operator should wear a blue Trailways uniform (and some wear Trailways nametags).

I know that may sound a bit complicated but if you write Amtrak they should hopefully forward it on to the Bus Contractor. Amtrak itself will have no direct say in what happens, rather the contract operator of the bus service will administer any corrective actions they deem necessary.

The only way to have a way at attempting to correct the behavior is to make it known through the proper channels as you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
In these situations I would consider recording the driver and putting it up on youtube instead. That would probably get a lot more attention than all those letters that never seem to go anywhere. All I ever get back from a letter are generic form replies. What good does that do?

In these situations I would consider recording the driver and putting it up on youtube instead. That would probably get a lot more attention than all those letters that never seem to go anywhere. All I ever get back from a letter are generic form replies. What good does that do?
If the people that handle those things personalized every response letter, they'd never get any work done in terms of dealing with the actual problems. Their job is to issue the standard acknowledgement letter, decide if any compensation is due, and then push your complaint down to the proper manager(s). After that point, you will never hear anything more since Amtrak cannot tell you what actions they did or didn't take against said employee(s).

However, those letters generally do go some where other than the circular file. I'm not saying that some don't get lost along the way. But most complaints, as well as compliments, do get to the manager and into the employees jackets. Amtrak even takes to publishing some of the complimentary letters in its newsletters.

Did I do the right thing?
Sounds to me like you did the right thing. You've had enough experience with Amtrak to know what to expect, as well as what is reasonable within the constraints that they operate under.

Do keep in mind as noted by Roadman, this service while carrying Amtrak's name is really operated by Amtrak California and CALDOT. You may wish to even consider writing directly to them.

Working in public transit in the Bay Area... not going to comment on that one... :wacko:

What I will say is there is a long process to processing complaints and depending on if the Operator is also Unionized and which Union they belong too, very little may be done. Many contracts use what is called "Progressive Discipline" as well meaning that, for general infractions, an employee may receive a warning first. Then it may move up to a suspension of a few days. Then maybe a week. Then review and possible termination may come on the table upon multiple infractions or serious ones. It is just the honest truth of the matter, but to be fair in the locations I have worked and at all of them, the complaints are reviewed. Transit Buses tend to have Video Cameras which are also reviewed based on the severity of the complaint to see what occurred and what action should be taken, if any. I know some Amtrak California ones do depending on the contractor, but the majority don't. Trains don't either afaik.

Again, it is a long process but once a complaint is received it then becomes a personnel matter. Unless it is a high profile case, the findings are usually never made public.

I have never worked for Amtrak directly so I don't know their exact procedures but many locations in transit use a standardized investigation method and procedure. This ensures the complain is acknowledged and the employee gets a fair chance to respond to it before any action is taken either way.

Yeah, you did that right. This shuttle has been known for poor service. Now I know it's SFO Airporter, so I'm probably going to avoid them as well. They really need to train their drivers better.

BTW Roadman, I would probably just take AC Transit Transbay.

Do keep in mind as noted by Roadman, this service while carrying Amtrak's name is really operated by Amtrak California and CALDOT. You may wish to even consider writing directly to them.
CALDOT = California Department of Transportation = Caltrans... We are California, remember... can't name it DOT like the rest of the country! We only recently started numbering highway exits after the Federal Government said they would withhold all our Highway funding if we didn't!! :unsure:

All fun aside... as AlanB mentioned it may be worth while to contact both Caltrans Division of Rail and the Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority. I'm not suggesting to make it a big issue, rather this may help your comments get to the contractor through a more direct routing so they may attempt to improve the service provided.

Now I know it's SFO Airporter, so I'm probably going to avoid them as well. They really need to train their drivers better.
You sure do have a tendency to take one single anecdotal incident and automatically write off an entire operation based on it.

Is it the bus driver's responsibility to load and unload luggage, or is it considered "self serve" ?

When I take LD buses, there is someone at the bus station who handles the luggage, but it isn't the driver. So, I am not sure if such is ever part of the driver's job description (union contract?). Along the same lines, I mean, is it the locomotive engineer's personal responsibility to help load and unload passenger's luggage on the train (be it for coach, sleeper, or the baggage car)?

Is it the bus driver's responsibility to load and unload luggage, or is it considered "self serve" ?
When I take LD buses, there is someone at the bus station who handles the luggage, but it isn't the driver. So, I am not sure if such is ever part of the driver's job description (union contract?). Along the same lines, I mean, is it the locomotive engineer's personal responsibility to help load and unload passenger's luggage on the train (be it for coach, sleeper, or the baggage car)?
The locomotive engineer never interacts with the passengers. Conductors and train attendants do help passengers with their bags when needed.

Whenever I take a coach bus, it is almost always the driver or another employee that handles the underfloor luggage.

In fact, one time, many years ago, I was riding an Amtrak thruway from Seattle to Vancouver, and one passenger attempted to put his own bag in the underfloor compartment and the driver yelled at him saying it was against the law for a passenger to touch the baggage compartment. Somehow, I doubt that (the driver in question was somewhat of a hothead). But still, it is generally the responsibility of someone other than the passenger to handle baggage in the luggage hold.

I, too, do more complimenting than complaining, but from your description, I think you did the right thing to let Amtrak know of the problem. It might be worthwhile to contact the bus contractor as well, as others have suggested. If a company is not aware of a problem, they cannot remedy it. It certainly sounds like the bus driver would be happier in a job that doesn't involve dealing with passengers.

Hubby (who had serious mobility limitations) and I have never received the type of (dis)service that you describe, from any type of carrier. The driver's attitude at the least is unacceptable. I would think that assisting with luggage would be part of the job description, since Amtrak serves handicapped passengers and presumably there is no one other than the bus driver to provide assistance. If there is some union prohibition, other provisions should be provided for passengers who require some assistance.

FWIW, I don't think the comparison to a locomotive engineer is a good analogy for several obvious reasons.

I have seen these videos before. A pathetic way to resolve a situation in most cases. Context is a big concern - what happened before or after.

And not to mention sticking a camera in someones face really does nothing to resolve the problem .....

Generally the drivers are required to load the bags for liability reasons. If a passenger were to injure him/herself opening or closing the door or not close it properly, it could lead to a claim. If an employee were to get injured that would be covered in most cases under Workers Compensation which most employeers have Insurance for.

There is also a policy on one door open at a time as well. The luggage compartments doors are open or the front door to the bus. Both are NOT supposed to be open at the same time. That's why drivers will usually ask passengers to place the bags by the closed bin, board the passengers, then shut the front door from the outside before loading the bags. This is more for security purposes so the driver can put his/her attention to loading the bags instead of trying to watch both. From what I have been told this is the policy for all bus contractors who have a contract with Amtrak/Caltrans in California. I can't say for sure if this is a blanket Amtrak policy or a Caltrans policy.

So with that being said, one might assume that the driver's would be required to load the bags given the policy in place. The only thing they I haven't seen a driver load has been bicycles. The station agent either loads the bike box or the passenger loads the unboxed bicycle into the bin. Passengers load bikes themselves on those routes that have front loading bike racks. This is also a general transit policy for liability reasons. The passenger is supervised by the operator or agent when the loading/unloading occurs.

I have seen these videos before. A pathetic way to resolve a situation in most cases. Context is a big concern - what happened before or after.And not to mention sticking a camera in someones face really does nothing to resolve the problem .....
OK daveyb99, so what's your solution that actually resolves the issue without letting it be swept under the rug? Let's hear it.

Generally the drivers are required to load the bags for liability reasons. If a passenger were to injure him/herself opening or closing the door or not close it properly, it could lead to a claim. If an employee were to get injured that would be covered in most cases under Workers Compensation which most employeers have Insurance for.
There is also a policy on one door open at a time as well. The luggage compartments doors are open or the front door to the bus. Both are NOT supposed to be open at the same time. That's why drivers will usually ask passengers to place the bags by the closed bin, board the passengers, then shut the front door from the outside before loading the bags. This is more for security purposes so the driver can put his/her attention to loading the bags instead of trying to watch both. From what I have been told this is the policy for all bus contractors who have a contract with Amtrak/Caltrans in California. I can't say for sure if this is a blanket Amtrak policy or a Caltrans policy.

So with that being said, one might assume that the driver's would be required to load the bags given the policy in place. The only thing they I haven't seen a driver load has been bicycles. The station agent either loads the bike box or the passenger loads the unboxed bicycle into the bin. Passengers load bikes themselves on those routes that have front loading bike racks. This is also a general transit policy for liability reasons. The passenger is supervised by the operator or agent when the loading/unloading occurs.
Interesting. The last time I took the CZ to San Francisco, we got off the train at EMY and, as instructed, left our bags next to the San Francisco bus. We then watched the driver sling the waiting bags into bus baggage bin like he was playing a weird game of luggage bowling. When we got to SFC, the driver got out of the bus, opened the doors to the bins and announced "get your bags." He then walked back to the front of the bus.

In order to "get our bags", it was literally necessary to crawl completely into the bin since the bags were all on the far side. I did my best impression of a coal miner, crawled in, and grabbed our bags plus a few for some others who were also waiting. It was self-service baggage handling, with some flexibility and stretching benefit thrown in for good measure. I'm physically capable to do stuff like that. I felt sorry for those who were not.

The actions of that driver are an absolute disgrace. To himself, his employer, and to the various agencies mentioned that contracted for that service. And to all bus drivers, for that matter...

Writing the letter was the right thing to do. What could further help might be to send a copy to all the agencies listed above. And if no satisfactory response is received, tell the press about it--like one of those 'action news' reporters. I agree that if it received bad publicity from a you-tube video that went 'viral', the official response may be more immediate.

In my business, intercity bus transportation...in terminal's where baggage personnel are available, they load and unload the baggage bays. On the road, or at smaller depots or agencies, the driver does it. Never the passenger. And driver's absolutely are required to assist anyone that needs aid in boarding.

The driver should treat his elderly passenger's as if they were his own mother traveling. If everyone would simply do that, there would be no service problems....

Most complaints, as well as compliments, do get to the manager and into the employees jackets.
How can you possibly know this?

If there is one thing I've learned about Amtrak over the last couple decades it's that their bureaucracy is anything but self-correcting.

When we traveled on the CS last year, Debby was our PPC attendent. She was so great, and I told her I would be writing Amtrak a letter about how much we appreciated her. She thanked us and said that Management always sends her a copy of the letters passengers write about her.

Most complaints, as well as compliments, do get to the manager and into the employees jackets.
How can you possibly know this?

If there is one thing I've learned about Amtrak over the last couple decades it's that their bureaucracy is anything but self-correcting.
As I mentioned in my first response to you, one can find the good letters in Amtrak's Employee newspaper. Furthermore, I do actually know several people at Amtrak, including a couple of very senior people. Finally, I've been told that by the now retired member here who was a Senior Director in marketing & product management. He was the senior manager for the east coast for a while. And he himself has more than once encouraged people posting here to contact Amtrak as it is helpful to them in trying to weed out/fix the problems.

Wasn't it just in the last month that there was a thread here discussing a Sleeping Car Attendant that is no longer working a train because of her poor customer service and customer complaints about her?

Now I know it's SFO Airporter, so I'm probably going to avoid them as well. They really need to train their drivers better.
You sure do have a tendency to take one single anecdotal incident and automatically write off an entire operation based on it.
But this shuttle has had many complaints about the drivers. I saw a bunch on an old thread.

The driver does not do it if the bus is stopped at a station, but he's supposed to on the curbside. At stations, baggage handlers do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back