My First Complaint Letter - feeling kind of bad right now

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent Amtrak an e-mail (I had no idea if that form of communication would actually go through) regarding my Train #280 incident when a new section replaced #280 in Albany and in arrow and no one could tell me both in Penn Station and not until my third phone call, both on the phone and off that I train #280 from Niagara Falls had 'become' #238 in Albany. On Saturday I got a message (missed the phone call) from a supervisor at Penn Station (212 area code and New York accent) apologizing for the my ordeal saying they will look into the communication breakdown I experienced. That was all I wanted.

Dear trainman's daughter: My wife and I may wind up on this bus next year, so thanks for bringing this jerk's behavior to Amtrak's attention!
George, maybe you'll be lucky and get the driver that we had on the EMY to SFW segment the day prior to the incident reported. He was a riot! Most bus drivers are courteous, helpful, and professional. This guy was all of that plus a comedian! He joked with all the passengers, had us all talking to each other, and a real pleasant fellow. Amtrak also got a letter from me regarding him!

IME you have three general catagories of employees...

1) Those who care about their job and take great pride in what they do. These employees typically take pride in their appearance and how they deliver their service to their customers/passengers. They tend to go above and beyond going the extra mile to leave you with a memorable experience (positive). They will meet and greet and try to have you leaving with a smile. Many understand that the passengers pay the paycheck at the end of the day and there wouldn't be a job without them.

2) The Average Employee. This is a job. They come to work, do their job, and go home at the end of the day. These employees typically do the basic functions of the job as required. They do care about doing the job right but they may not be as outgoing as type 1. They generally do a good job and while they may not stick out as commendation worthy, they do not warrent any type of complaint either. They are not looking to receive complaints and understand that passengers are part of the job they signed up to do so they should act professionally towards them.

3) This is just a job and I'll get a check either way. They come to work because they want to get paid. They know what they need to do to keep their job and what they can get away with. They will do the absolute minimum. In this case... they believe their job is to drive the bus. That's it. As long as they don't have an accident they are perfectly content with their day. Passengers are just an inconvenice that must be dealt with in order to get paid. They are paid the same amount either way so why put in the extra effort?

That is a very basic over view but generally classifies a lot of employees. There are others who may fall outside of those catagories but most employees you can place in one of the three.

Speaking personally... at work I know I have good days and I have bad days. I have received commendations. I have blown people off too. We are human and we make mistakes. As long as we are not habitually in the number 3 catagory then we can be reinstructed on how to perform the job. Those in Catagory 3 constantly often are not a good fit for the type of job they have and will not change their attitude until they receive a good reason to. Sometimes they never will and go from job to job.

Complaints are an important part of the process along with commendations. Commendations show those type 1 employees that their work is really noticed and appreciated. This positive reinforcement will hopefully keep them motivated to continute performing and the high level they are.

Complaints show those in Catagory 2 that they may be slipping slightly and need to step it up a little bit. They will continute to perform at an average to above average level and just need that reminder every now and then.

Complaints show those in catagory 3 that people do notice their behavior. They may see it as a wake up call or they may become angry and less caring. This is how they eventually have their employement terminated. They do it to themself.

Often times people see complaints as being negative. I know some employees take it personally. But at the end of the day it gives the employee a friendly reminder of how their actions are perceived. It places the ball in the employees court. They can decide what to do with the information. Some people will never change. Some people will try to do better. We are not all built the same. But by filing the complaint you give someone the chance to try to change a behavior before it is too late for them.

Wow, great drivers and horrible drivers! Man, I don't know what to say now!
Are you making fun of me? What can I say...It was the best of times. It was the worst of times! The contrast was amazing. I'd never had a driver like either one of these guys - and I've ridden Amtrak California buses many, many, many times.

Wow, great drivers and horrible drivers! Man, I don't know what to say now!
Are you making fun of me? What can I say...It was the best of times. It was the worst of times! The contrast was amazing. I'd never had a driver like either one of these guys - and I've ridden Amtrak California buses many, many, many times.
No, no, I was just saying.

IME you have three general catagories of employees...
1) Those who care about their job and take great pride in what they do. These employees typically take pride in their appearance and how they deliver their service to their customers/passengers. They tend to go above and beyond going the extra mile to leave you with a memorable experience (positive). They will meet and greet and try to have you leaving with a smile. Many understand that the passengers pay the paycheck at the end of the day and there wouldn't be a job without them.

2) The Average Employee. This is a job. They come to work, do their job, and go home at the end of the day. These employees typically do the basic functions of the job as required. They do care about doing the job right but they may not be as outgoing as type 1. They generally do a good job and while they may not stick out as commendation worthy, they do not warrent any type of complaint either. They are not looking to receive complaints and understand that passengers are part of the job they signed up to do so they should act professionally towards them.

3) This is just a job and I'll get a check either way. They come to work because they want to get paid. They know what they need to do to keep their job and what they can get away with. They will do the absolute minimum. In this case... they believe their job is to drive the bus. That's it. As long as they don't have an accident they are perfectly content with their day. Passengers are just an inconvenice that must be dealt with in order to get paid. They are paid the same amount either way so why put in the extra effort?

That is a very basic over view but generally classifies a lot of employees. There are others who may fall outside of those catagories but most employees you can place in one of the three.

Speaking personally... at work I know I have good days and I have bad days. I have received commendations. I have blown people off too. We are human and we make mistakes. As long as we are not habitually in the number 3 catagory then we can be reinstructed on how to perform the job. Those in Catagory 3 constantly often are not a good fit for the type of job they have and will not change their attitude until they receive a good reason to. Sometimes they never will and go from job to job.

Complaints are an important part of the process along with commendations. Commendations show those type 1 employees that their work is really noticed and appreciated. This positive reinforcement will hopefully keep them motivated to continute performing and the high level they are.

Complaints show those in Catagory 2 that they may be slipping slightly and need to step it up a little bit. They will continute to perform at an average to above average level and just need that reminder every now and then.

Complaints show those in catagory 3 that people do notice their behavior. They may see it as a wake up call or they may become angry and less caring. This is how they eventually have their employement terminated. They do it to themself.

Often times people see complaints as being negative. I know some employees take it personally. But at the end of the day it gives the employee a friendly reminder of how their actions are perceived. It places the ball in the employees court. They can decide what to do with the information. Some people will never change. Some people will try to do better. We are not all built the same. But by filing the complaint you give someone the chance to try to change a behavior before it is too late for them.
An excellent analysis. I'm sure we all can recognize someone that falls into these categories.....

Wasn't it just in the last month that there was a thread here discussing a Sleeping Car Attendant that is no longer working a train because of her poor customer service and customer complaints about her?
...After how many complaints over how many years? Seems like it took right up to about her retirement to get her taken off that train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't it just in the last month that there was a thread here discussing a Sleeping Car Attendant that is no longer working a train because of her poor customer service and customer complaints about her?
...After how many complaints over how many years? Seems like it took right up to about her retirement to get her taken off that train.
We didn't say that the process was expedient; just that complaints do get sent down to the manager level and that it does help.

Are the buses on contract to Amtrak from private companies? I rode a non-Greyhound bus when the EB was shut down for floods. They weren't nasty, but they did seem incompetent. Not sure where these bus companies get their staff these days.

Are the buses on contract to Amtrak from private companies? I rode a non-Greyhound bus when the EB was shut down for floods. They weren't nasty, but they did seem incompetent. Not sure where these bus companies get their staff these days.
Maybe ex-truck drivers. Though most truck drivers aren't too bad.

Seems that unless you somehow know she was providing that poor service over her entire career, you don't have much of a point. There's just as much of a chance that she was a great SA for most of her career and just took her foot off the gas too early.
My point was that actually writing in letters of complaint (and praise when warranted) is useful. Managers aren't omniscient and can only take action when we tell them what's going on when they're not around.

What a contrast to the driver I had on the same route (albeit in the opposite direction) on New Year's Day getting off the southbound CS.. Our driver was an African American gentleman wearing a black greatcoat, bowler hat, and bright red scarf. I don't know if that was his regular outfit or just his Holiday one, but he sure was dapper. He made sure we got on the correct bus (three were parked curbside). He took all our bags and personally loaded them in the under-carriage and wished each of us "Happy New Year." He got a $5 tip when I disembarked at the Ferry Building. I'm truly sorry that Trainman's Daughter drew a bad apple. She did the right thing by politely complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back