My first post vaccination Amtrak trip -- where to?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Saturday, it will be 2 weeks since I received by second COVID shot. Thus, according to the medical authorities, I am now cleared to travel within the U.S. (Practicing social distancing, making, and washing hands, of course.) Thus, next week, I can finally hop on a train and go somewhere for the day. So where should I go?

I'm thinking 2 possibilities. One is to ride up to Trenton, then take the River Line light rail down to Camden, then the PATCO train into Philly, practice some flânerie in Philly, and then ride the train home. A variation would be to take Amtrak to Philly, ride the Market-Frankford Line to 69th Street, then the Media trolley to Media, and return back to Philly on SEPTA Regional Rail.

The other possibility is to go to New York for the day, mainly to check out the Moynihan Train Hall. Not sure what else I'd do in New York. Maybe go over to Ben's Deli and see how their pastrami compares to the "big three." I've never ridden Staten Island Rapid transit, so perhaps a ferry ride and a walk in a seaside park would be nice. I've thought of riding the Hudson Line up to Garrison or Cold Spring and doing a little hiking in Hudson Highlands State Park, but that might be a bit too much to do in one day. Not sure if there's anything interesting to see on the Harlem Line. Or in Danbury.

I've also wondered whether a day trip to Richmond would be possible. I think there's only one train a day to Main St. Station, I'm not sure how easy it is to get from Staples Mill Road to the more interesting walkable parts of town. The only part of Richmond I've ever really spent much time on foot is along Monument Avenue. Might be interesting to see how that's changed.

Any other ideas for interesting day trips from Baltimore?

I'm from Cali and have never been to the East, however, I think you should check out Moynihan Train Hall.

On Saturday, it will be 2 weeks since I received by second COVID shot. Thus, according to the medical authorities, I am now cleared to travel within the U.S. (Practicing social distancing, making, and washing hands, of course.) Thus, next week, I can finally hop on a train and go somewhere for the day. So where should I go?

I'm thinking 2 possibilities. One is to ride up to Trenton, then take the River Line light rail down to Camden, then the PATCO train into Philly, practice some flânerie in Philly, and then ride the train home. A variation would be to take Amtrak to Philly, ride the Market-Frankford Line to 69th Street, then the Media trolley to Media, and return back to Philly on SEPTA Regional Rail.

The other possibility is to go to New York for the day, mainly to check out the Moynihan Train Hall. Not sure what else I'd do in New York. Maybe go over to Ben's Deli and see how their pastrami compares to the "big three." I've never ridden Staten Island Rapid transit, so perhaps a ferry ride and a walk in a seaside park would be nice. I've thought of riding the Hudson Line up to Garrison or Cold Spring and doing a little hiking in Hudson Highlands State Park, but that might be a bit too much to do in one day. Not sure if there's anything interesting to see on the Harlem Line. Or in Danbury.

I've also wondered whether a day trip to Richmond would be possible. I think there's only one train a day to Main St. Station, I'm not sure how easy it is to get from Staples Mill Road to the more interesting walkable parts of town. The only part of Richmond I've ever really spent much time on foot is along Monument Avenue. Might be interesting to see how that's changed.

Any other ideas for interesting day trips from Baltimore?
I say go with New York Joe! ( I like Philly too, but Trenton and Camden, No thanks!).

You'll love the Staten Island Excursion, and I suggest maybe riding the Subway out to Coney Island for a Nathans Hot Dog and to check out the Revitalized Area there.

The Deli idea is great too, I know how much you like Delis. And of course seeing the New Train Hall is icing on the Cake!

I looked into Flying to Newark( Cheap Flights) and taking the Train home so I could visit the New Amtrak Digs @ NYP, but the Rooms are outrageous( over $1,000 for a Roomette) and I dont think I want to eat what's on offer currently for 3 days!

I might Fly both ways and take an Acela FC Ride( only $149 NYP-WAS) so I can use the New Lounge, or even ride #67 NYP-WAS in a Roomette( $194, but Acela FC is a Better Deal) and Fly home from WAS.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the trip to NYC (now I want to go) see the new station. Myself I am heading to Toledo from Boston to see my parents. At least I get to see the recently rebuilt track 3 at CUT (Central Union terminal the original name of the Toledo station) Not quite as interesting as NYC but how know how many more times I will be able to visit my folks.

Checking out Moynihan Train Hall sounds like a good idea ... while your that close, take the subway down to Washington Square area and get a couple slices from Joe's Pizza on Carmine

View attachment 21507
I took Amtrak from Harrisburg to New York two weeks ago. Round trip same day. Enough time to explore Moynihan hall and enjoy the first class lounge and walk to McSorleys for a few light beers and a turkey sandwich.

I have always fancied a stroll along The High Line in New York, an elevated disused train track which has been turned into an interesting walking route.

I was going to mention the High Line park, but you beat me to it. The Train Hall, a deli, and a walk would definitely get my vote. Check out the High Line website for featured plants and activities. It just looks like so much fun!

Go to Baltimore's Penn Station without looking at any timetables. Go to the ticket window and get a round trip ticket for a two to three hour ride each way on the very next train arriving at the station - without regard for which direction it's going.

Absolutely anywhere except Trenton and the RiverLine!😮

I have no choice—my town is on the RiverLine and TRE is my closest Amtrak station. But the RiverLine was not always clean before the pandemic and I doubt it’s better now. Plus it’s too small to safely social distance and there is no conductor to enforce the rules.

I too am thinking of a trip several weeks after my second shot, and I am looking forward to everything except the 12-minute RiverLine ride from my town into TRE. I will wear a double mask and gloves, and bring wipes for my luggage and sanitizer for my hands when I can safely take the gloves off. And I still don’t feel that’s sanitary enough to deal with a light rail with trash and spilled soda all over the floor.

I can’t imagine being on the RiverLine by choice and for fun.

Amtrak to Philly sounds much better. But if you like NYC, the new train hall does seem to be an attractive draw.

I was going to mention the High Line park, but you beat me to it. The Train Hall, a deli, and a walk would definitely get my vote. Check out the High Line website for featured plants and activities. It just looks like so much fun!
Yes, the High Line is great. I've done that already, but who knows?

I have a medical background. Currently work at COVID vaccine clinics with my county.

This pandemic is not over yet. Too many people rushing to restart there life. Is it too much to wait a few months into every one that wants a shot has gotten a shot.

Last week we had so many no-shows, the poor clerk was quite frazzle, but push came to shove no shots were wasted. A few members of the community college sport team got there first shot a day before they were technically allowed, but no shots were flush down the drain.

Last check the politicians were say July 4th is the timeframe. I can and will wait into July before I do a joy ride. If I need to get back to work and the train is a workable option, then yes I will travel by train.

I have a medical background. Currently work at COVID vaccine clinics with my county.

This pandemic is not over yet. Too many people rushing to restart there life. Is it too much to wait a few months into every one that wants a shot has gotten a shot.

Last week we had so many no-shows, the poor clerk was quite frazzle, but push came to shove no shots were wasted. A few members of the community college sport team got there first shot a day before they were technically allowed, but no shots were flush down the drain.

Last check the politicians were say July 4th is the timeframe. I can and will wait into July before I do a joy ride. If I need to get back to work and the train is a workable option, then yes I will travel by train.
To each their own, I think it depends on where you live, where you're going to, and how you travel!

I felt perfectly safe on Amtrak to/from Austin and Dallas, and Dallas is doing a good job with their COVID Protocols.

Even with 2 Shots of Pfizer, and being Tested @ Work Regularly, I still wear my Mask,Social distance , and am careful where I go inside places.( still not ready for Airports and Planes, Bars,Crowded Cafes and Stores, Sporting events as an attendee,and Concerts)😷

Last edited:
I should point out that I took a joyride to New York last August and one to Philly last October (virtual Gathering). I've also taken two trips to Washington to see one of my doctors. All of these done before I was vaccinated. While I was cautious, I didn't feel too concerned. The trains were empty, everyone was wearing masks, and what eating I was doing, I was doing it outside.

I am now leaning on heading to New York in the coming week, the weather forecast looks good. I still haven't decided whether I want to check out Staten Island of Coney Island.

I should point out that I took a joyride to New York last August and one to Philly last October (virtual Gathering). I've also taken two trips to Washington to see one of my doctors. All of these done before I was vaccinated. While I was cautious, I didn't feel too concerned. The trains were empty, everyone was wearing masks, and what eating I was doing, I was doing it outside.

I am now leaning on heading to New York in the coming week, the weather forecast looks good. I still haven't decided whether I want to check out Staten Island of Coney Island.
I have done three cross country trips in the last year. Sleepers and always wore a mask and social distanced. Never had a problem. Now being totally vaccinated,it's even better

Back