My recent trip on the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill631

Train Attendant
I recently took a trip from NYC to New Orleans aboard the Crescent, leaving New York on July 2.

We took off right on time.

I was in a roomette, and within minutes, the attendant came by and introduced himself.

His last name was Porter, and said to just call him "Porter".

He told me about the little beverage station, where there was coffee, juice, water and ice.

Soon after, the conductor came by to take my ticket, and then the dining car attendant came by to take my dinner reservation.

The PA speaker was not working in my car, and the dining attendant said to just head to the dining car at the appropriate time.

As I settled in, I noticed that it was very cold in my roommette, so I closed the A/C vents and turned the thermostat up. It still was chilly for my taste, and there was still cold air coming throught the vents along the window even though I closed them, so I put a couple to towels over the them.

I relaxed and read, and had a couple of beers from my private stock.

At 8pm I hesaded to the dining car for dinner.

Since this train was entirely sold out, I expected the dining car to have been very busy, but it was pretty quiet. I was seated at a table with one other single traveller.

I ordered the NY Strip steak and some red wine. It was very good, nothing fancy, but just a good steak with mashed potatoes and green beans.

The service was good.

I got a great night's sleep. I got coffee in the cafe car, and freshened up a bit.

At around 12 noon I headed to the dining car for lunch.

It was not at all busy, and I got a table all to myself.

However, I ordered a burger for lunch and it took almost an hour to get it!

I had a great chocolate peanut butter pie with for dessert.

We eventually pulled into New Orleans a little over an hour late. We encountered several small freight delays throughout the trip resulting us arriving late.

All in all, it was a very pleasant trip.

Bill

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back