My reusable coffee mug on the Northeast Regionals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So let's ask this question and see how many truthful answers we get.

When the CL and LSL changed to enhanced dining, they supplied the meals in reusable shopping bags. How many of you used that bag for your garbage and threw it out or how many of you actually followed threw and dumped the uneaten meal along with the bag in front of the LSA as you've threatened to do?

Also chime in if you didn't and you saw other do it or if you saw the bags in the trash bin.

They also supplied reusable trays, since a lot of people complained about the waste involved in the box lunch. You can see how that's working out by clicking on the attachment below:

Disappointed that hard boiled eggs were removed from the breakfast menu. How complicated are those to store and serve?

*#48(14) CHI>BUF; #48(16) BUF>NYP
**#19(21) NYP>NOL
This trip was book-ended by #4(11) LAX>CHI AND #1(23) NOL>LAX

On the LSL...
View attachment 15461
We later learned that those "trays" were washed and used again!

I blame the signs. I don't think they were specific enough.

Last edited:
They also supplied reusable trays, since a lot of people complained about the waste involved in the box lunch. You can see how that's working out by clicking on the attachment below:

I blame the signs. I don't think they were specific enough.
Worked summer job at McDonalds in High School. From my experience, no amount of signage would have helped. The number of trays that were fished out of trashcans whenever the trash cans were emptied out was staggering. And those were only the visible ones since no one was expected to dig down and look. Well on happier news, at least ONE person followed directions in that picture. :D

Last edited:
I told the LSA I did not want one so I never got one.
Let's hope staff didn't just throw it out, but offered it to another guest.

A problem with the way Amtrak is using these bags is that handing them out unasked (rather than selling or offering on request) guarantees that most will be discarded after that first use--since most folks receiving one don't need or want yet another re-usable bag.

Also, these bags look pretty cheap, flimsy, and not compact. If you're gonna create a re-usable bag, it oughta be sturdy, practical, and attractive enough for many, many uses.

This is a timely discussion for me, BTW. I'm planning a large event for 2020 for which we'll sell and give away re-usable fabric bags. Good ones (sturdy, practical, attractive...) are a LOT more expensive to produce than bags like the ones Amtrak is using--which really should be acknowledged as effectively disposable.

Let's hope staff didn't just throw it out, but offered it to another guest.

A problem with the way Amtrak is using these bags is that handing them out unasked (rather than selling or offering on request) guarantees that most will be discarded after that first use--since most folks receiving one don't need or want yet another re-usable bag.

Also, these bags look pretty cheap, flimsy, and not compact. If you're gonna create a re-usable bag, it oughta be sturdy, practical, and attractive enough for many, many uses.

This is a timely discussion for me, BTW. I'm planning a large event for 2020 for which we'll sell and give away re-usable fabric bags. Good ones (sturdy, practical, attractive...) are a LOT more expensive to produce than bags like the ones Amtrak is using--which really should be acknowledged as effectively disposable.
They're not using the cloth bags anymore. They're using handled paper bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back