My train trip back to a Civil War town...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
This week's train adventure was a much shorter local trip. My lady friend and I decided to have a day out visiting Newark, an important town which featured strongly in the Civil Wars around 1645, just 25 years after the Mayflower sailed to America.
The Civil War was a struggle between the "Royalists" and the "Parliamentarians" with many battles and sieges taking place around Newark, which is only about 30 mins away from Nottingham by train.
We caught the 10.35am train from Nottingham on a very warm and sunny day. Quite busy, a typically short train of only two coaches, which would eventually end it's journey at Grimsby. Newark is the first stop today.

IMG_20210623_110345.jpg

The River Trent seen here also runs through Nottingham, the remains of Newark Castle can be seen in the background.

I will let the photos speak for themselves, many historic buildings of great age still remain to this day in Newark.

IMG_20210623_110957.jpg

IMG_20210623_111159.jpg

IMG_20210623_114721.jpg

IMG_20210623_114539.jpg

IMG_20210623_114519.jpg

IMG_20210623_114947.jpg

IMG_20210623_114153.jpg

IMG-20210623-WA0003.jpg

An enjoyable and easy day out this week, nice to have some company, makes me realise that I don't have to go far for my mini adventures! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20210623_113407.jpg
    IMG_20210623_113407.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
Sounds about right. I live in Newark Delaware and we pronounce it NewArk. I think we’re the only Newark that is pronounced that way.

Is this the same Newark that has a train station named Newark North Gate? If so then I have at least passed through that station many times.
It is. Northgate - properly speaking one word, though it often appears as two - is on the East Coast Main Line (London to York, Newcastle, and Edinburgh), exactly 120 miles from London.

This week's train adventure was a much shorter local trip. My lady friend and I decided to have a day out visiting Newark, an important town which featured strongly in the Civil Wars around 1645, just 25 years after the Mayflower sailed to America.
The Civil War was a struggle between the "Royalists" and the "Parliamentarians" with many battles and sieges taking place around Newark, which is only about 30 mins away from Nottingham by train.
We caught the 10.35am train from Nottingham on a very warm and sunny day. Quite busy, a typically short train of only two coaches, which would eventually end it's journey at Grimsby. Newark is the first stop today.

View attachment 23048

The River Trent seen here also runs through Nottingham, the remains of Newark Castle can be seen in the background.

I will let the photos speak for themselves, many historic buildings of great age still remain to this day in Newark.

View attachment 23049

View attachment 23050

View attachment 23052

View attachment 23053

View attachment 23054

View attachment 23056

View attachment 23058

View attachment 23060

An enjoyable and easy day out this week, nice to have some company, makes me realise that I don't have to go far for my mini adventures! :cool:
Glad to see you out and about Eddie!😎

Most of us are easing back into travel by taking Day trips and short get-a-ways in our own Country since International Travel is such a Hodge Podge of Uncertanities!

I read the title of this thread and thought "oh, this guy went to Manassas on the Cardinal". But its a different Civil War town obviously. :p

Nice pictures BTW

I read the title of this thread and thought "oh, this guy went to Manassas on the Cardinal". But its a different Civil War town obviously. :p

Nice pictures BTW
Yes, about 200 years earlier. Newark was historically quite important, guarding the crossing of the Trent - traditionally the boundary between the south of England and the north. More recently it has been a mix of light industrial and agricultural market town, now with a lot of serious long-distance commuters to London (even if Monday morning to Thursday evening).

Yes, about 200 years earlier. Newark was historically quite important, guarding the crossing of the Trent - traditionally the boundary between the south of England and the north. More recently it has been a mix of light industrial and agricultural market town, now with a lot of serious long-distance commuters to London (even if Monday morning to Thursday evening).
Is this Trent the same Trent after which the Trent Bridge Cricket Ground in Nottingham is named? Different part of Trent of course?

Is this Trent the same Trent after which the Trent Bridge Cricket Ground in Nottingham is named? Different part of Trent of course?
Yes, it is. Newark is about 20 miles downstream from Nottingham. The river is tidal from a few miles downstream from Newark.

Back