My travel in India back in 1983!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
With the lockdowns and lack of travel opportunities, my thoughts turned to my first visit to India, back in 1983. I wrote letters home, and took slides, and these form the basis of the trip report now.
The report is hosted on a site which is similar to AU, so folk chip in with comments after each post, you can read those too if interested, or just skip forward to the next section of my report. I hope it may be of some interest in these travel starved times! Please click the link:

India in 1983... Letters home...

With the lockdowns and lack of travel opportunities, my thoughts turned to my first visit to India, back in 1983. I wrote letters home, and took slides, and these form the basis of the trip report now.
The report is hosted on a site which is similar to AU, so folk chip in with comments after each post, you can read those too if interested, or just skip forward to the next section of my report. I hope it may be of some interest in these travel starved times! Please click the link:

India in 1983... Letters home...
What great reading, the detail is amazing after all these years! I sometimes cant remeber what I had for Lunch! Lol

Thanks for sharing, my wander lust is starting to come back after a year of staying home!

That was a fun read since I have actually been to all those places, though often not as a tourist but variously as someone’s family guest to a wedding, as a member of my college team for some event, to a National Cadet Corp camp in Kangra Valley in the area of Dharamshala and Bhakshunath Springs etc.

And of course I’ve been to Delhi more times than I can remember, but seldom as a tourist.

So it is kind of fun to get a tourist’s perspective! Thanks!

Maybe I missed it but what was the original attraction or impetus to visit India specifically?
Looking back from this distance, it is tricky to say exactly our motivations. I think a lot of folk growing up in the 1960's era were starting to experiment with other ways of living, maybe communes, hippies, travellers, etc. India had an air of mystique, yoga, meditation, things that were seen as alternatives.
Neither of us were hippies, we had regular responsible jobs, but still just felt attracted to India as a starting point on our longer trip. It was entirely open ended, we could have stayed 5 days or 5 months on that first visit. A stunning eye opening and mind opening experience for me at that time!

Back