My Upcoming Trip To Sin City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Late Shore-

Train Attendant
Hiya guys & gals,

Yay! I'm so excited! March, 08, 2003 is the date that me and my mother will be departing for Las Vegas, NV via Needles, CA. We will be leaving Boston's South Station at 9:50AM, and arriving into Las Vegas, NV at 4:45AM, via a connection with the Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach Service, i.e. Commuter Carriers.

We're staying seven nights, but want to be prepared for our tarin trip as best we can. I have a scanner I want to bring with me, but I am not exactly sure which frequencies to "plug-in" to my scanner, either for the LSL or SC.

We are taking Deluxe Bedroom (letter B as in Bob) on the Viewliner, and Deluxe Bedroom (letter E as in Eric) on the Superliner. I just hope I get a Super. 2.

So, any hints, tips, or some last minute suggestions are welcomed. The more, the better. I was thinking of bringing my own food on board the train, to be a little economical (I mean, I'm going to lose it anyways I think, at the slots, lol :lol: ), but I'm not planning on bringing a lot of food either.

I'm really looking forward to the first half of the trip between say Bos-Cleveland. I am not afraid to admit though, that I'm deathly afraid of crossing Sandusky Bay though, so when I get to that point, if I'm too wound up to be sleeping, then I think I'll just close my eyes real tight and just close the curtain too.

I am aware that there can be high winds across the bay as the train goes over the narrow section of track steadily, which can sometimes add to the sway. yes, I know what your going to say. The LSL does it everyday, going over it I mean. But I'm not on it on all the other days. :eek: ;) :( :unsure: :blink:

Oh well, I think it'll be great, but I'm not expecting too much in the form of Customer Service, in though were in first class. First class on the LSL will be wayyyy different than on the SW Chief from what I gather.

:rolleyes:

So, wish me luck. I'll post a travellogue if I can manage a tranquelizer before I go. :lol: :lol: TTYGS!

Click on this link, and you should get an article from the Trains website that lists all frequencies used by the railroads. I programmed the all one Saturday while watching college football before my Grand Junction trip. If you have them all programmed, you dont have to worry about having the right frequency. Just use the Scan function.

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Arti...00/284hwejm.asp

As for the Sandusky bay segment, it is a landfill causeway across Sandusky Bay with a drawbridge. The cause way easily accomodates two tracks and a service road. It really should be nothing to worry about.

If you have a sleeper, all dining car meals are included. However, if you have a favorite snack, you can bring that. It will be cheaper than the lounge car.

Late Shore,

I would suggest that you check out Prodigy's On Track On Line's frequency page located here. They list each specific route in the Amtrak system and tell you which frequency you will find your train on between any two points during the journey. Just print out the proper pages and bring them with you so you will always know where to listen in. Also don’t forget lots of batteries, unless your scanner has rechargeable batteries in which case bring a surge protector.

Next, don't forget about the First Class lounges. Your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak. As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounges, Club Acela in Boston and the Metropolitan lounge in Chicago. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

In Boston the Club Acela lounge is actually upstairs above the ticket windows, the door is to the left of the windows and to the right of an information kiosk. There is a small doorbell to the right of the door. Just show your tickets to the attendant at the desk and you're in. They will announce when your train is ready.

In Chicago the lounge is called the "Metropolitan Lounge". It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows and facing them, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Again, just show your tickets and relax. The Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding. Note: They will make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, you cannot take them to your seat due to the crowded nature of the lounge.

I will also mention that there is a locked luggage area for first class passengers. You can find this room by making the first right after you walk through the first set of sliding glass doors that I mentioned above. Walk down a short hall towards the south waiting area and again make the first right available. This is where I usually leave my bags when I go through Chicago, as opposed to the unlocked side room in the actual lounge. I’ve never heard of any bags being stolen from the unlocked room, but there have been a few cases of people grabbing the wrong bag by accident

If you do bring snacks, don’t forget that you should receive free soda’s, water, and coffee on the train. Of course your meals are included as long as you eat in the diner.

Hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you've got more questions. :)

-Late Shore- said:
I'm really looking forward to the first half of the trip between say Bos-Cleveland. I am not afraid to admit though, that I'm deathly afraid of crossing Sandusky Bay though, so when I get to that point, if I'm too wound up to be sleeping, then I think I'll just close my eyes real tight and just close the curtain too.
I am aware that there can be high winds across the bay as the train goes over the narrow section of track steadily, which can sometimes add to the sway. yes, I know what your going to say. The LSL does it everyday, going over it I mean. But I'm not on it on all the other days. :eek: ;) :( :unsure: :blink:
LateShore,

Well this story won't help you to sleep any better, sorry. :(

High winds along Lake Erie in Ohio derailed train six cars of a Norfolk Southern train early Wednesday as it finished crossing a lift bridge over Sandusky Bay, near Toledo, blocking two main tracks and dumping UPS parcels into the partially-frozen bay. No one was injured.
You can read the full, although short, story from Trains.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back