NARP Goes Anti-Gun

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the two years I spent in the airline industry, I checked many guns for people. And since it was brought up, I also checked coolers of meat from their hunting.

There really aren't a lot of differences between Amtrak and the airlines in this regard. And I don't really think that this is as much of a security issue as it's made out to be.

Here are the basic differences:

1) There's no TSA. Airline procedure for checking firearms involved ensuring the gun was in proper case for transport, flagging down a TSA agent trained to inspect firearms (I worked in a fairly small airport, usually there were probably 1-2 working out of perhaps 20 or 25 TSA agents on duty) and having the TSA agent inspect the gun in front of the owner (namely that it was unloaded, restrictions as far as the amount of allowable ammunition were aided by, etc, etc). Some paperwork was done, the gun case was locked and sent on its way. I'm not sure how relevant this inspection is for Amtrak, but they'd probably have to train their baggage personnel to do it if they needed to.

2) Baggage security is not as tight. Aircraft are loaded/unloaded in a secure area not accessible to the public and baggage is brought to a baggage claim area. At many stations, I've just seen bags unloaded right onto the platform. Potentially it could be argued that it would be easier to steal a gun in this sort of a situation, but I don't really know how valid that argument would be.

To be honest, I just don't think that this issue is as big as most are making it out to be. People check guns on airlines all the time, its very standard procedure and perfectly safe. The vast majority of guns I saw checked in my time in the airlines were various types of rifles for hunting. I think the only question Amtrak faces is whether they think they're equipped to safely transport firearms from place to place without a risk of loss or theft. Perhaps they just don't want to deal with the liabilities of loosing someone's gun. But I don't think it's a security issue, per se.

Statistics can be twisted to appear to support any conclusion.
Those countries all have significantly fewer people (with the exception of Japan and the UK, which are about 40% and 20%, respectively) than the U.S. A better measure should be the per capita rates:

Country Gun Death Rate per 100,000
Japan 0.07

Singapore 0.24

Taiwan 0.27

Kuwait 0.37

England/ Wales 0.4

Scotland 0.49

Netherlands 0.55

Spain 0.74

Ireland 1.24

Germany 1.44

Italy 2.27

Sweden 2.27

Denmark 2.48

Israel 2.56

New Zealand 2.67

Australia 2.94

Belgium 3.32

Canada 3.95

Norway 4.23

Austria 4.48

Northern Ireland 4.72

France 5.48

Switzerland 6.2

Finland 6.65

USA 13.47
(Source: W. Cukier, via Google Answers)

Notably, France, Finland, and Switzerland have rates almost half as high as the US.

The table about a third of the way down this page helps to out the numbers in context.

I am wondering, though, how the number of gun deaths in the U.S. is 13.47 per 100,000 when the number of murders and nonnegligent manslaughters is 5.9 per 100,000. I suppose it really is true that over half are police or people shooting in self defense and suicides.
13.47 gun deaths per 100,000 and 5.9 murders/non-neg manslaughters per 100,000?? Is that second by all means (guns, knives, beatings,etc) or just by guns? Either way sounds like an excellent example of "Figures may not lie, but liars figure."

(I worked in a fairly small airport, usually there were probably 1-2 working out of perhaps 20 or 25 TSA agents on duty)
Thousands Standing Around!! :lol:

Is checked Amtrak baggage even ever scanned?
Haha. Didn't mean it that way - I meant that usually only 1-2 were trained to inspect the guns, but they can do a lot of standing around, also...

None of those activites, in and of themselves, constitute shooting at people or other living beings, unless someone accidentally shoots some poor unsuspecting bird during a trapshooting competition. :lol:
Or accidently shoot themselves in the leg, as my husband did when in his teens. :blink:
Good to hear God punishes immediately!

Only joking guys! (just please don't shoot me.. or enrole me in your troupe!)

Gosh, an armchair moderator I am not.. I much prefer to be immoderate in all things!

Ed B)

Instead, how about you show a little basic respect for another country, its laws and its values and just drop this one?
I only have respect for people and their actions (or not), things like laws and values are different for each person and mean little. One mans law is another mans restrictions.

I like America and Americans. Just don't begin to understand the gun thing.

I only have respect for people and their actions (or not), things like laws and values are different for each person and mean little. One mans law is another mans restrictions.I like America and Americans. Just don't begin to understand the gun thing.
Oh every place has aspects that are completely mysterious to outsiders: Iowans and pork tenderloin sandwiches, Russians and vodka, the English and public footpaths (or as they would be called in the U.S., trespassing).

I think Mizlek summed up the security issues pretty well with regards to Amtrak. I personally see no reason for their rule against transporting firearms and ammunition in checked baggage. I must appologize to the moderator as I did not intend for this to go so far off topic and delve into gun control and all that.......but I am not surprised. We must put all this in perspective. In a free society there are always risks. If we intend to remain free then we have to also accept the risks. We cannot make ourselves free from every type of accident that could occur or try and ban everything we disagree with. There are 40,000 deaths EACH YEAR from automobile accidents yet we don't talk about banning automobiles. But we concentrate on ATV's, motorcycles, guns, and whatever else we dislike at the moment. We have something like 300 drownings each year in swimming pools just here in Texas yet there is no effort to ban pools. I don't know why guns are so often the focus of debate, but in a free society we have to find ways to deal with these things. We have plenty of rules to govern who can buy or own a gun, yet anyone can buy a car. People will still have gun accidents and they will still be used in crimes no matter how many laws you pass and there are millions of them out there already that will never be taken out of circulation. Worldwide there are probably more Russian Ak 47's in cirdulation than all the other types of guns combined. Certainly more than any US made firearm. In spite of all the laws, people still drive cars without a license and still have wrecks and still kill innocent people with their cars. In this country, we have a lot more important things to debate and issues to resolve than guns. Lets close this debate and concentrate on the passenger trains that we all love. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back