Nashville to Birmingham Bus to Crescent - Decent?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone taken the bus from nashville to Birmingham to catch the Crescent? I haven't been on Greyhound in years - wondered if it was more like an Amtrak Thruway or really just the Greyhound.......Which has had some very bad reviews. Thanks.

I can't directly answer most of your question but I can make some suggestions that you may want to consider.

I have taken the Greyhound bus to Birmingham from Chattanooga several times on weekends over the years and never had problems but I've never ridden an Amtrak Thruway so cannot compare them.

Megabus, per their route map, offers service between Nashville and Atlanta. You might consider catching the Crescent in Atlanta instead of Birmingham. I have no idea of the distance between Atlanta's Megabus drop point and the station. I do know that the Atlanta Greyhound station is in a sketchy part of town and you might not want to venture too far from it when transferring. Greyhound at one time offered a connection between their station and the Atlanta terminal but it's been several years since I used it and it may no longer be offered.

Hope this helps.

Now that's interesting information that I can use. Greyhound or not, the ease of transfer as opposed to schlepping my stuff between stations makes Birmingham an option to consider.

I checked and GL Table 445 still has 3x daily service Nashville<>Birmingham. Most trips make a 10-minute stop in Huntsville, but otherwise they've deleted intermediate points.

I can't directly answer most of your question but I can make some suggestions that you may want to consider.

I have taken the Greyhound bus to Birmingham from Chattanooga several times on weekends over the years and never had problems but I've never ridden an Amtrak Thruway so cannot compare them.

Megabus, per their route map, offers service between Nashville and Atlanta. You might consider catching the Crescent in Atlanta instead of Birmingham. I have no idea of the distance between Atlanta's Megabus drop point and the station. I do know that the Atlanta Greyhound station is in a sketchy part of town and you might not want to venture too far from it when transferring. Greyhound at one time offered a connection between their station and the Atlanta terminal but it's been several years since I used it and it may no longer be offered.

Hope this helps.
Not having done this I checked on map and its 2.7 miles from MARTA Civic CTR (Megabus stop) to Atlanta's Amtrak station. Birmingham's Greyhound station is basically at the train depot - .1 mile away. The Nashville-Birmingham bus is also cheaper and faster.

Not having done this I checked on map and its 2.7 miles from MARTA Civic CTR (Megabus stop) to Atlanta's Amtrak station. Birmingham's Greyhound station is basically at the train depot - .1 mile away. The Nashville-Birmingham bus is also cheaper and faster.
That means a MARTA train to the Arts Center Station then 110 bus to Amtrak. :(

Back