National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But sauerkraut does have some unpleasant side effects. I'm glad it is not served in the confined spaces of rail cars. (Let's keep this thread On Topic, please. LOL.)

The side effects can usually be prevented with a capsule or two of Beano, the branded product which could as easily be named CabbageO, and in a store brand version from every major drugstore chain. The vegetable-derived enzyme breaks down complex carbohydrates in the gut and ends the production of excess gas.
Now, now, you went there first. As with most everything, there is an opposing view:

:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally my favorite low cal bulk up is sauerkraut, which I've heard most people hate. It's actually quite healthy for you because of the active biological components of its fermentation.
Most sauerkraut is "dead," alas. Still tasty, but lacks probiotic benefits.

Only place to find kraut (or other pickles) with live cultures in a grocery store is in a refrigerator case. Look for a brand like Bubbies, one that says on the jar it has live cultures.

Or make your own--very easy. We usually keep a jar of cucumber pickles fermenting in our kitchen throughout the summer. When they're sour enough for our taste, they go in the fridge and another jar gets started. Yum. Looking forward to cucumbers from the garden again in a few weeks.

Sad, but understandable, that nothing this fresh is to be found in an Amtrak dining car. But, in the realm of the feasible, I do think Amtrak could do MUCH better in the fresh-and-healthful department.

Now, now, you went there first. As with most everything, there is an opposing view:

:giggle:
Which brings to mind a clickbait article on one of my news feeds from earlier today...you know why flight attendants take a walkthrough the plane at random times? Well, the change in air pressure results in certain things building up and therefore needing to be released. So it could be said they are spreading the love around...

You know why flight attendants take a walkthrough the plane at random times? Well, the change in air pressure results in certain things building up and therefore needing to be released. So it could be said they are spreading the love around...
If United/American/Delta flight attendants are walking by it may just be another excuse to kick knees/feet and bump shoulders/elbows on their way to another gossip session in the area that used to be a galley.

Just returned from doing a CZ-CS-SWC loop. The only real disappointment was the Chicken & Bacon Fettucine Carbonara on the CZ as it was severely dehydrated to the point that the pasta was all stuck together by the dried-out cheese sauce making it difficult to eat - had to cut every bite with the fork. That same dish on the SWC was much, much better as it was moist and the pasta wasn't all stuck together.

The big surprise to me was the succotash prepared with what I initially thought were baby lima beans that were somehow tasty and tender. Learned later the beans were edamame.

The CS had no PPC, so all three menus were the same.

I enjoyed the edamame succotash on the entree salad I had on the EB the other day. Also impressed with the amount of asiago cheese that came with the salad. I was expecting just a little sprinkle, but there was a full condiment cup's worth - served on the side, so you can choose how much to use.

The new vegetarian noodle bowl on the dinner menu is delicious (if you like Asian dishes with tofu, which I do).

I wasn't terribly impressed with the desserts, though. The texture of the cheesecake is weird. The chocolate cake was dry, and I didn't care for the boozy sauce. The lemon tart was OK, I guess, but nothing to write home about.

"...Overnight hours I have mixed feelings about, 10PM is a little early for a cutoff, but at a certain point, staff is entitled to sleep."
Since most on board staff is awake by 5am, working about 6am, when would it be okay with you for them to go off-duty?
Why should that concern customers who are paying a high price for premium service.

When I book a cruise I never ask how much sleep the various employees get... I'm guessing it's very little. And I always think about that when I tip them at the end of the cruise.

To provide 24/7 service, sleeper ticket prices would need to go up to account for at least one more roomette taken out of service for an additional employee. Maybe the cruise lines can handle it, but Amtrak can't afford to lose the revenue.

To provide 24/7 service, sleeper ticket prices would need to go up to account for at least one more roomette taken out of service for an additional employee. Maybe the cruise lines can handle it, but Amtrak can't afford to lose the revenue.
Well no one is asking for 24/7 service... We are asking for beds to be turned down at 10 or 10:30 pm. Seems reasonable.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1494098130.987532.jpg

Chicken quesadillas were fine. Not spicy or adventuresome.
Bring your own jalapenos, I guess!

Just a curious question as a result of your post: If there would be a Sleeping Car Attendant required to be on duty 24/7 with a Roomette being placed into revenue service, where would this individual(s) be "housed" within the Sleeping Car to provide such service?

There needs to be an attendant available for passengers to get on and off overnight. The attendant for each car has an assigned space within that car (transition car excepted), it is the room where the attendant call button annunciator panel is located. When I say the staff should have the evening to sleep, and should not be expected to provide 24 hour service, that does not include assisting those passengers boarding or departing overnight. The doors don't open themselves, and the rooms should be prepped by the attendant. They are also expected to respond in case of a real emergency. Sleeping car attendants are not butlers or personal assistants, they are certainly entitled to reasonable down time. Cruise ships have a ratio of around 1 crew to 3 passengers, it can not reasonably be compared to train travel.

There needs to be an attendant available for passengers to get on and off overnight. The attendant for each car has an assigned space within that car (transition car excepted), it is the room where the attendant call button annunciator panel is located. When I say the staff should have the evening to sleep, and should not be expected to provide 24 hour service, that does not include assisting those passengers boarding or departing overnight. The doors don't open themselves, and the rooms should be prepped by the attendant. They are also expected to respond in case of a real emergency. Sleeping car attendants are not butlers or personal assistants, they are certainly entitled to reasonable down time. Cruise ships have a ratio of around 1 crew to 3 passengers, it can not reasonably be compared to train travel.
I have been told by staff on board Amtrak trains that service attendants will sometimes cover for each other, allowing each to get at least some downtime and sleep. This facilitates boarding and detraining, getting new passengers settled, etc. It does not necessarily mean you will have an attendant at your beck and call 24/7 to fetch ice, fluff your pillow, etc.

I have seen the Conductor board a sleeper passenger during the night, show them their room, tell them a few things like when breakfast would be, etc. but the SCA did have the room ready. Now, I have also heard the SCA changing the bed after someone got off, then when I went to breakfast the room had a new passenger in it. I have seen som SCA only close their curtain so they can be awaken should someone need them. But I have had SCAs who at 9pm close their door and don't open it again until 6am. They generally were very ridged in their vision of the rules. The coffee pot has been cleaned by 11am, turn downs are only done between 8-9, one bottle of water per person, also they refuse to handle your bags. Though most SCAs are not this way, it seems more are each year.

But I have had SCAs who at 9pm close their door and don't open it again until 6am. They generally were very ridged in their vision of the rules. The coffee pot has been cleaned by 11am, turn downs are only done between 8-9, one bottle of water per person, also they refuse to handle your bags. Though most SCAs are not this way, it seems more are each year.
I've noticed this also. I mentioned on another thread about one SCA/TA-SC whom I inquired of to do a turn down after or around an upcoming station stop (late night, but certainly prior to Midnight), which I thought might bring on board additonal pax to the sleeper. His response was an incredulous laugh followed by a "Oh no, I'll be asleep by then!" which pretty much told me he viewed passengers as a tolerated inconvenience.

I have boarded the train in Spokane several times at O God 30 and I have seen coach attendants board sleeping car passengers. I am in Spokane now, waiting to board #7. I am joining my uncle in his sleeper. I will give a comprehensive report on how they boarded me. :lol:

Back