National Museum of Transportation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanorn

Lead Service Attendant
Has anyone been to the National Museum of Transportation outside of St. Louis?

Site Link

If so, suggestions on how to get there from downtown without renting a car are welcome.

I've been and it is worth the trip, but I drove. I kind of recall bus stops on the way there but not that close to the museum. Metro has a transit center several miles away but I do not think the roads are safely walkable even if the distance is ok (no sidewalks or shoulders on many roads in the area, you'd have to do pretty detailed route planning). Have you called the museum? Metro? They might have ideas about a bus or walking route. Otherwise, could be an Uber/Lyft trip. It is a wonderful museum, well worth the extra effort to get there.

Has anyone been to the National Museum of Transportation outside of St. Louis?

Site Link

If so, suggestions on how to get there from downtown without renting a car are welcome.
I have been there a while back while I was attending a standards meeting in St. Louis. I had a rental car for the trip paid for by my employer, so I just used it.

I've been and it is worth the trip, but I drove. I kind of recall bus stops on the way there but not that close to the museum. Metro has a transit center several miles away but I do not think the roads are safely walkable even if the distance is ok (no sidewalks or shoulders on many roads in the area, you'd have to do pretty detailed route planning). Have you called the museum? Metro? They might have ideas about a bus or walking route. Otherwise, could be an Uber/Lyft trip. It is a wonderful museum, well worth the extra effort to get there.
Haven't called the museum yet but wanted to know if anyone else attempted it first.

Worst case I can get a taxi or Uber from the Metro stations or even Kirkwood's Amtrak station; it's the only place outside of downtown St. Louis that I'm planning to go to right now.

Back