National Timetable to be Released

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, thanks for the link.

I see that the next system timetable has a format change. The NEC schedule table has been cut back to show just the WAS to BOS (and SPG) stops. There is a new table for "Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Virginia Service" which covers all of the Virginia trains, including the the LD trains, the buses, and their Virginia and NEC stops. With the growth in the Virginia Services and future expansions to Roanoke, to 3 daily trains to Norfolk in the works, looks like they decided that the NEC schedule was getting too cluttered and to have a separate comprehensive Virginia timetable. Should help passengers in Virginia more easily figure out what their train schedule options are.

I agree, afigg....it makes it easier to read for most.

Since they now have a lot more space on the NEC timetable, they could have used a few lines to show a 'condensed' tt with the major points south of Washington, such as Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News, Lynchburg, Danville, etc. in an 'italic' section as a convenience. They could also have shown similar at the other end for Boston to Portland.

But either way, I like the new one. How long have they been publishing it 'online' like this? Hope it doesn't mean that they are going to eliminate printing it.... :mellow:

I think I ask this question every time a new one is printed. How does one obtain a printed copy by mail through the Amtrak website?

I love the new format. I also love that it lets them run cross promotional ads. A real step up.

I went through the Eastern section yesterday. Looks like PA needs to catch up to NC and have a Pennsylvanian between Harrisburg and Pittsburg twice a day instead of just once.

Page 87 has an amazing western routes map that shows what time of day the train passes through and what host railroad each segment is.

I'm disappointed that the Midwestern section doesn't highlight Chicago-Indiana cities service. Maybe they asked Indiana for a tourism division ad buy and they refused.

I love the way they did the combined California corridor services timetable.

Amtrak must be the last, if not one of the last transportation companies to publish and distribute a 'system timetable' to the public. I wonder what it costs them to do so, and how much they recover by running those ads.?

The Commonwealth and Amtrak had enough trouble to come to an agreement to fund ONE Pennsylvanian, let alone TWO!
Not to derail :huh: , but they'd have better fare recovery if they ran two. Of course there are issues with locating rolling stock, I suppose.

Amtrak must be the last, if not one of the last transportation companies to publish and distribute a 'system timetable' to the public. I wonder what it costs them to do so, and how much they recover by running those ads.?
Seriously?

I bet they sell a lot of travel that way. Especially with this new format. The old one was more condensed (and had little, if any, outside advertising). Plus what do you bet they are having more distribution online now, which is much cheaper than printing?

Amtrak is a fairly skeletal system still. Commuter services don't need system maps so much because commuters take the same services every day. They use individual route maps. Smaller bus transit systems do publish system timetables still. They're very necessary when service runs infrequently over a large area.

Amtrak also publishes individual corridor schedules which are distributed at stations on that corridor.

The Commonwealth and Amtrak had enough trouble to come to an agreement to fund ONE Pennsylvanian, let alone TWO!
Not to derail :huh: , but they'd have better fare recovery if they ran two. Of course there are issues with locating rolling stock, I suppose.
Yes, not to derail the subject too much, but PA has a HSIPR funded study for alternatives and possible upgrades for the Western Keystone corridor. I have heard much about it in a while, but it should be completed at some point. There should be at least 2 trains a day between PGH and PHL. The key issue in PA is that the state is facing a transportation funding crisis with a huge backlog of bridge, road, and transit maintenance projects. The state Senate overwhelmingly passed a bill (by 45 to 5) to lift an obsolete cap on a wholesale gas tax over 3 years to significantly boost revenue for transportation. The bill is in the hands of the PA House with an uncertain outcome. If it passes, starting over the 3 years, PA will have more funds available for SEPTA and rail projects. I don't expect Gov. Corbett to do much for passenger rail beyond keeping the current level of service, but after 2014, a new Governor (Corbett has a terrible approval rating) and more balanced state legislature may be interested in funding Keystone corridor improvements and better service for both the eastern and western parts.

Something to think about is what the system timetable might look like in 4 or 5 years. Not speaking about format or whether it would still be printed (I expect it will), but new routes, stations and frequencies. There is a very real threat from the current House, but the outcome of that is impossible to read. But for the state corridors, in 4 or 5 years, there should be service expansion to Roanoke, 3 daily trains to Norfolk, additional Piedmont frequencies, Vermonter extended to Montreal, maybe Inland route Regionals, two new corridor services in IL, new equipment and better trip times in most Midwest routes, Coast Daylight in CA, more daily Cascades trains.

Yes, not to derail the subject too much, but PA has a HSIPR funded study for alternatives and possible upgrades for the Western Keystone corridor. I have heard much about it in a while, but it should be completed at some point. There should be at least 2 trains a day between PGH and PHL. The key issue in PA is that the state is facing a transportation funding crisis with a huge backlog of bridge, road, and transit maintenance projects. The state Senate overwhelmingly passed a bill (by 45 to 5) to lift an obsolete cap on a wholesale gas tax over 3 years to significantly boost revenue for transportation. The bill is in the hands of the PA House with an uncertain outcome. If it passes, starting over the 3 years, PA will have more funds available for SEPTA and rail projects. I don't expect Gov. Corbett to do much for passenger rail beyond keeping the current level of service, but after 2014, a new Governor (Corbett has a terrible approval rating) and more balanced state legislature may be interested in funding Keystone corridor improvements and better service for both the eastern and western parts.

Something to think about is what the system timetable might look like in 4 or 5 years. Not speaking about format or whether it would still be printed (I expect it will), but new routes, stations and frequencies. There is a very real threat from the current House, but the outcome of that is impossible to read. But for the state corridors, in 4 or 5 years, there should be service expansion to Roanoke, 3 daily trains to Norfolk, additional Piedmont frequencies, Vermonter extended to Montreal, maybe Inland route Regionals, two new corridor services in IL, new equipment and better trip times in most Midwest routes, Coast Daylight in CA, more daily Cascades trains.
Terrible approval rating is an understatement..

Seriously?

I bet they sell a lot of travel that way. Especially with this new format. The old one was more condensed (and had little, if any, outside advertising). Plus what do you bet they are having more distribution online now, which is much cheaper than printing?

Amtrak is a fairly skeletal system still. Commuter services don't need system maps so much because commuters take the same services every day. They use individual route maps. Smaller bus transit systems do publish system timetables still. They're very necessary when service runs infrequently over a large area.

Amtrak also publishes individual corridor schedules which are distributed at stations on that corridor.
I was comparing Amtrak with other national transportation modes.....for example, airlines, as well as Greyhound, have long given up public timetables....

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no switch in the Chicago departure times for the Lakeshore Limited and Capitol Limited. I guess CSX isn't done with tunnel work in Western Maryland?

Still no switch in the Chicago departure times for the Lakeshore Limited and Capitol Limited. I guess CSX isn't done with tunnel work in Western Maryland?
The Cap is leaving 30 minutes later. Some have gotten emails about this for our trip back from the gathering. I haven't gotten an email yet, but it shows in my itenarary on the website and the app.

I was comparing Amtrak with other national transportation modes.....for example, airlines, as well as Greyhound, have long given up public timetables....
Says who? Here you go-

Delta timetable in PDF

United Airlines timetable in PDF

American Airlines timetable in PDF

This was from a one minute Google search, if you look, you'll find for other airlines too. Enjoy! :D
Yes.

But try going to your friendly neighborhood city ticket office, or travel agency, and find one in the "timetable rack"..... ;)

Why reach for a rack? You can have em all in iBooks and apps! With real time fare pricing, inventory availability, etc. haven't needed a paper timetable in years. I bet they will all be e-tables within 5 years. The march of "progress" I suppose.

And....what's a travel agent? Is that an app too? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back