National Train Day 2012 in PHL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HereI thought I would take a minute to write something up to match the photographs I took while at National Train Day in Philadelphia. I started out my day at Metropark where I met up with Jishnu (jis) and Piotr (NJCoastExp) where we chatted for a little while before boarding a very crowded Northeast Regional (155) where we found a table in the café car to sit and chat for the ride through New Jersey.

I believe we arrived on time in 30th Street Station, but I didn’t check that closely. We broke off as we waited for 11AM to roll around and to meet the rest of the group. I went and got of coffee, and walked around the exhibits although they weren’t open yet. Around 11 I began seeing some familiar faces, so I joined up with the group. We waited for other members of the group to arrive from North and South. Once it appeared we had the whole group together we headed to the food court to get some lunch.

After lunch we made our way to the equipment displays where we all were able to take advantage of the AGR Mastercard fast lane, or whatever it was called. We were quickly down at the display which started with a walk through of an Acela train set. They had some maintenance of way equipment, and display by NJ Transit. One of the more interesting things they had on display was Amtrak’s track geometry car outfitted with an amazing amount of computer systems and displays. It was pretty interesting to see all the technology they use to monitor track conditions. They also had some great historical cars on display as well. The most interesting in my opinion was a Silver Meteor “Sun Lounge” built in 1955. It had very large windows and almost like a dome it had curved glass windows over the ceiling. There were other cars as well, but those were the highlights for me personally.

After the equipment tour we all milled around and chatted for a while. I stayed and for about another 20 minutes talking to various people, and from there we all started to break apart. It seemed like most were heading off on a Keystone, but I wasn’t able to join them, so I jumped on the next Septa Trenton Line Train to head toward New Jersey and eventually home.

The SEPTA portion of my ride home was largely uneventful we ran basically 3 minutes late through the entire run. I spent most of the trip writing this report. I had about 20 minutes to spend in the Trenton Transportation Center. I hadn’t spent any amount of time there before, and I know they recently completed some renovations there. Overall it’s a nice station with a good food options, clean bathrooms, and a light rail connection. It didn’t seem to have enough places to wait indoors IMHO, but otherwise it looks very nice.

At 2:49 I boarded a NJ Transit Northeast Corridor local train, and 50 minutes later I was back at Metropark.

I really enjoyed the whole day it was great to see new and familiar faces. I still can’t believe how many folks travelled quite a long distance to spend the afternoon. I hope the points run went well, and everyone makes it back safely.

You can see the photos

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos might not make it for a couple of weeks.
WEEKS!? What's your malfunction, Dude?? That's just plain unacceptable!!

But thanks for the report anyway, and good to see one from you again; long time.

A little Train Day input from the Best Coast (where photos don't take weeks!):

Team Whooz used National Train Day as a kickoff for yet another rail adventure, beginning with a little neighborhood railroad museum at Lomita, out near San Pedro; the Port of Los Angeles. Then a points run from Fullerton to Los Angeles Union Station. National Train Day L.A. had pretty much wrapped up by the time we arrived - after 4 p.m. aboard Pacific Surfliner 579 - but we saw Amtrak's display train, a UP genset and Harbor Line low emissions switchers on display, and what we were really there for, Santa Fe 4-8-4 No. 3751 and some of the consist of the Grand Canyon Limited, an excursion that's going guess where, departing L.A. on Monday. Team Whooz is gonna chase it to Arizona over a couple days, then continue east to ride the Southwest Chief over Raton Pass, and hopefully on to Colorado for some narrow gauge steam action.

EDIT: Oh yeah: Currently at Riverside, where we'll celebrate Nation UN-Train Day at the Orange Empire Railway Museum in nearby Perris before following the excursion train over Cajon Pass and on to Parker, AZ, on Monday. Trip Report waiting to happen!

From the top: Lomita Railroad Museum; Santa Fe 3751 and Amtrak display train; Burlington observation dome Silver Solarium on end of Grand Canyon Limited consist; 3751 puts on a little steam demonstration while backing to the yard to await Monday excursion departure (IIRC an AU member will be aboard the Grand Canyon Limited).

i-fBGdrS5-L.jpg

i-HJjgcFb-XL.jpg

i-bmbcTLh-L.jpg

i-S96gkXh-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sitting in jfk about to fly to Beijing not sure what kind of internet ill have over there sp cant promise anything
You won't see this for a while, but I bet you're on CA982, and if so, I have two friends on that same flight tonight. Hope you enjoyed your flight over the North Pole!

I found the track geomotry car quite interesting. I spent quite a long time in there asking questions and looking at things. The Amtrak employee was quite pleasant to talk with. I didn't want to be a pest so I didn't ask as many questions as I would have liked to ask.

I also found the catenary car interesting too.

I wasn't too impressed with the private cars. The one, you walked in the aisle and it was so low I had to duck as I walked through. I guess that is wahat happens when you are tall.

It was great so see you in PHL. Have a great, safe trip to China.

Haha sorry Patrick although i have gotten online here in Beijing so maybe the photos will make it up.

Yes bill i was on ca 982 although they made everyone close the shades sp i didn't see much

Updated the orginal post with the photos. Turns out I have an amazing upload rate here even though downloads are very slow.

You can find the pics here

Although going through them I have to admit its far from the best effort I've turned in :(

Lots of pics coming tommorow I visted the Chineese National Railway Museum and Bejieng's central rail station yesterday. The muesum was dull, but the voulume of people in the train station was unreal. Sadly it was impossiable to ge near any equipment without tickets the stairs to the gates were pad locked shut, and I thought they were strict in CHI.

benjibear said:
1336956128[/url]' post='367179']I wasn't too impressed with the private cars. The one, you walked in the aisle and it was so low I had to duck as I walked through. I guess that is wahat happens when you are tall.
You didn't like my spare set of Penthouse Suite equipment that I brought down to PHL?
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back