National Train Day/Amtrak Train Days -- GONE!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
I got this in my e-mail this morning... I think because I am on the mailing list and have worked the events in Chicago and Milwaukee since the original one in 2007.

"Since its inception, Amtrak Train Days/National Train Day has been a popular program with customers and employees, allowing us to celebrate the value that Amtrak brings to local communities nationwide. In light of the financial challenges we are currently facing, we have chosen not to continue the Amtrak Train Days program and to prioritize our resources more efficiently. We would like to thank all of the Amtrak personnel who have devoted their time and effort over the years to making these celebrations of Amtrak and passenger train travel a success."

I kinda saw this coming, sadly.

I worked the booth in Chicago in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 representing the now-defunct Trails & Rails program that ran on the Empire Builder between Chicago and Winona, MN. Then I was just a general volunteer for Amtrak in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 and 2014, we were back representing the now-defunct Trails & Rails program that ran on the Southwest Chief between Chicago and La Plata, MO.

I thought something was up when I didn't hear the usual buzz about National Train Day in early 2015 when things would have normally been rammping up -- and found out through some friends in the marketing dept. about the decision to switch from National Train Day to the Amtrak Train Days event -- a few weeks before it was announced to the public. They did have Amtrak Train Days in Chicago on the usual weekend in 2015 that National Train Days was held... but everyone was told it would NOT continue to be an annual thing.

I got confirmation in November 2015 through some inside sources there would be NO events in Chicago the second weekend in May during 2016. We were hoping to have a booth to represent APRHF Rail Rangers, a new non-profit railroad history group that narrates on private cars, that I am Executive Director of.

Now, the official announcement that it's dead across the country. I kinda have mixed reaction to it. I thought it Amtrak Train Days and National Train Day was a good event and think Amtrak is shooting themselves in the foot by cancelling it ---- as it drew in 10,000 people at least in Chicago every year -- many folks who were looking for a family-friendly weekend experience and have never rode trains before. I think it was great because it opened their eyes to regional and long-distance travel. Especially when Amtrak cut back on paying for private cars to be part of the event in Chicago, I figure it was relatively cheap to put on, as most of the employees and folks like us were volunteering their time. Then again, having worked the event every year since its inception in 2007... It was getting somewhat old and stale with the same activities year after year after year. And, I guess Amtrak has to cut little things like this to prove to Congress they want to put a dent in their expenses.

I have the feeling there was a "champion" of National Train Day at Amtrak who left sometime between the 2014 and 2015 event. With that person gone, the enthusiasm also went away. The 2015 event went on, but in kind of a half-hearted way. 2016: gone.

As is often the case in the corporate world, what is important day-to-day is very much dependent on who is in charge at any given moment. One person's vital customer outreach is another person's waste of time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is too bad. It was a great event and a way to celebrate passenger trains and railroading in general. The last few years things did seem a little stale and I didn't attend the last few since they were just repeats of previous activities. It was great while it lasted. Maybe it will return in the future.

It was great while it lasted.
Sounds like a good way to sum up much of America's passenger rail history.

Maybe it will return in the future.
Most of what Amtrak loses, divests, or formally suspends never comes back.

On the other hand we have dozens of brand new 1980's era passenger cars and funky 1970's era paint jobs making a return. So there's that.

Last summer I attended the Exhibit train when it stopped in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm wondering if that atmosphere is anything like National Train Day was and what I missed from NTD. I did enjoy touring the train.

NTD was much bigger than the Exhibit train. In Philly & Washington (and I assume other places) they had a lot of equipment people could walk through. Plus private cars and maybe an engine or two. That was trackside. Inside the station were exhibits.

I have the feeling there was a "champion" of National Train Day
I think the "champions" were us AU members! :giggle: There were a group of us from all over the country who got together for a mini-gathering each year in PHL or WAS (among other places) on NTD! Now what will we do? :huh:

I suppose there's nothing to prevent local communities to have some sort of "Train Day" celebration. The downside is they presumably wouldn't be able to use Amtrak branding for the event.

I have the feeling there was a "champion" of National Train Day at Amtrak who left sometime between the 2014 and 2015 event. With that person gone, the enthusiasm also went away. The 2015 event went on, but in kind of a half-hearted way. 2016: gone.

As is often the case in the corporate world, what is important day-to-day is very much dependent on who is in charge at any given moment. One person's vital customer outreach is another person's waste of time and money.
I think you might be on to something Bill.

National Train Day in Toledo will continue on May 7, 2016 with Amtrak equipment, the NS 911 Heritage units and lots of locos, freight equipment and several floors of displays, model train layouts, and railroad history organizations taking part. Speeder rides for the kids. Have attended this event for the past few years and there is always something new to look at. And lots of freight traffic viewable from a great old rail bridge overlooking the depot and tracks. :)

National Train Day in Toledo will continue on May 7, 2016 with Amtrak equipment, the NS 911 Heritage units and lots of locos, freight equipment and several floors of displays, model train layouts, and railroad history organizations taking part. Speeder rides for the kids. Have attended this event for the past few years and there is always something new to look at. And lots of freight traffic viewable from a great old rail bridge overlooking the depot and tracks. :)
NS 911 is NOT a Heritage Unit.. It's a special paint job, that's all.

Yes, sorry for the mistaken ID on the 911 loco. The engine with the special paint job will be there.. :) N.S. has sent some of their heritage units in the past, NYC for example. Hoping to see the Erie unit there someday.

Sounds like fun Bill!

Out of curiosity, who provides the financing since Amtrak seems hell bent to continue nickel and dime cuts on stuff Rail fans like!
Some of the costs are handled by donations, some by the vendors who pay for spaces in the station, many of the railroads who send units do so as volunteer donations *probably a tax write-off for the independent railroads. The Toledo area council of governments encourages sponsorships of $125 to $1,000 for promotions, ads, etc. Most of the workers at the event are volunteers. Not sure what Amtrak will be sending this year or how that part will be financed if Amtrak would not pay?

Yes, sorry for the mistaken ID on the 911 loco. The engine with the special paint job will be there.. :) N.S. has sent some of their heritage units in the past, NYC for example. Hoping to see the Erie unit there someday.
Don't worry Bill.. It's not just you who has referred to the 911 unit as a "Heritage Unit".. It honestly seems that anything with a special paint job gets that term. I personally don't like the 60E's.. To have a conversation with the throttle jockey you're pretty much yelling across the cab.. It's a very noisy cab. They didn't really think about that. The only good thing I have to say about them is that the Heat and AC are immaculate on these units. When I was a Trainee I was on one and it was about 85 degrees outside. It actually got so cool in the cab I had to step out of the cab to "warm up". So far the one's I've been on have a very good Dynamic as well.

I got this in my e-mail this morning... I think because I am on the mailing list and have worked the events in Chicago and Milwaukee since the original one in 2007.

"Since its inception, Amtrak Train Days/National Train Day has been a popular program with customers and employees, allowing us to celebrate the value that Amtrak brings to local communities nationwide. In light of the financial challenges we are currently facing, we have chosen not to continue the Amtrak Train Days program and to prioritize our resources more efficiently. We would like to thank all of the Amtrak personnel who have devoted their time and effort over the years to making these celebrations of Amtrak and passenger train travel a success."
Oh come on. How much did they actually spend on National Train Day in the first year? As I remember, it was mostly volunteer operated, plus the Exhibit Train, and parking a bunch of otherwise-unused equipment for people to look at (much of it volunteered by other people), and the printed-out equivalent of a couple of PowerPoint presentations. Maybe they should go back to that. National Train Day was successfully roping in *non-Amtrak funding and personnel* to promote trains. ("Amtrak Train Days" did not succeed at that, for obvious reasons.)

Perhaps the correct way for Amtrak to do it is simply to announce a day, and call for volunteers to organize events in each city, and assist the volunteers with everything except actual money and work. :)

I did see this coming--railfans would have already been a few times and perhaps were getting tired of it (it's not like you can change the theme each year), and the general public doesn't pay that much attention, so switching from one main day to a variety of days probably lost them completely.

We could have "Amtrak-less days"--for example, we could hang out around the SEPTA trolley on display at their Market Street headquarters in Center City Philly and tell Amtrak they can't come and if they do we will turn off the coffee pot when we see them coming.... :p

National Train Day was a good marketing event for Amtrak. It was a way to promote the service and allow the public to see the importance of the nations passenger rail system. Any good business must advertise but in this case I guess not.

Seems like they're just pissing away goodwill at this point. Or maybe they were threatened with smaller budgets or more political attacks if they didn't remove their involvement. There's almost nothing that's completely unbelievable anymore.

In spite of my flippant remark earlier about Amtrak-less days, I do agree with dlagrua and Devil's Advocate that National Train Day was a good marketing tool for Amtrak and passenger rail in general and that Amtrak is not interested in creating goodwill.

It is shortsighted on Amtrak's part to cancel it, particularly because children were the ones getting the greatest joy out of it (well, railfans, too, of course), and it would be the children who would be the future riders.

Amtrak management doesn't seem to be able to look that far ahead because it spends all its time dealing with whatever current "crisis" is in front of it.

NTD took time and I can imagine it being expensive. Parking a bunch of otherwise-unused equipment still took crews, engines, fuel and space. Then, there was the clean up and bunch of other behind the scenes operations that volunteers didn't perform. Corralling and storing the private cars also added to the expense, even though they brought in the crowds.

Additionally, I agree that although it did generate goodwill and awareness, it had grown stale. The novelty has worn off. Without the private cars or something unique, how will you hold interest? How many times can you show the same people the same equipment they usually see? Even though it isn't feasible from an operational or financial standpoint, I love to ship the Acela to somewhere outside of the NEC. I'd like to drag a Talgo set to WAS, a Cascade to PHL, ship the 8400 to Texas, the 10004 to ABQ, the California Bilevels to MIA, the 10005 to HUN, the Sounders to ALB and the 9800 to RUD . Mix it up. Let the people see something they aren't used to seeing so they know what else is out there.

Absent that, I think the concept of a city hosting an event and Amtrak showing up has merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back