Navigating steps with a cane?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its hard for m-e with a cane to get on the Wolverine. Any tips before my next Chicago trip?
Is your station accessible. If you book your tickets as a Passenger with Disability, you can request assistance at the station(s). They may have a lift that you can use (it's not just for people in wheelchairs).

If you go to the next station east, Ann Arbor, they have level boarding. No stairs, just a ramp up to the train. You'll still have to deal with the steps in Chicago, but as noted by AmtrakBlue, let the staff know and/or book as a passenger with a disability & staff will assist you.

peter

Yes, even if you are booking/riding in coach, the staff will help you if you book with the request for assistance.

When I boarded in Palatka, JAX and Tampa, I was offered assistance even though I had not requested it because I had my cane with me.

Yes, even if you are booking/riding in coach, the staff will help you if you book with the request for assistance.

When I boarded in Palatka, JAX and Tampa, I was offered assistance even though I had not requested it because I had my cane with me.
Thanks I will do this before I go to Chicago next month.

Back