nearby union station chi

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dedhd

Train Attendant
I haven't been through Chi in a while, will be travelling the lsl eastbound after the swc, wondering if there is anything new nearby in the way of good food, or something to see or do to kill some time??

There's tons of stuff to do, excellent shopping and sightseeing, it all depends on how much time you have. Take a cab or bus (might be too cold for extended walking)up to Michigan Ave and check out Millenium Park. Definitely escape the station and at least go out to get a Chicago deep dish, box up the leftovers to take with you on the train.

For food, there's always Giodanos (the very un-official CHI pizza of AU
mosking.gif
) is 2 1/2 blocks away. For sights, the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower (with the new I think it's called Skydeck or something like that) is 1 block away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, didn't know it was official, but have to add my vote for Giordano's. My favorite Chicago style pizza. Allow an hour, the deep dish takes 40 minutes before it gets to your table, and it is worth it!

Travel well cold in cardboard box.

Agreed, didn't know it was official, but have to add my vote for Giordano's. My favorite Chicago style pizza. Allow an hour, the deep dish takes 40 minutes before it gets to your table, and it is worth it!

Directions from CHI?

Directions from CHI?
Walk out the JACKSON Avenue side (near the south gates), walk across the Chicago River bridge. At the next intersection cross the street to the other side of Jackson. Continue on Jackson, and is is on the right side mid--block!

I am a total foodie, and I was thrilled to be able to eat at Blackbird. It's just a few blocks from Union Station and James Beard nominated. If you can make it for lunch, it is very reasonable.

http://blackbirdrestaurant.com/
Thanks, Amamba! Looks lovely and the menu reads delicious.

Saved that to my faves and will attempt to go on one of my future trips.

This month will be Big Star since I didn't make it in January - Big Star Chicago

"Greektown" on So. Halstead Street is about a 3 block walk West from Union station. In the area you will find an abundance of restaurants and shops serving pizza , sandwiches, soups and salads. If you like Greek food, the Greek Island serves some of the finest Greek cuisine you will ever eat and it's reasonabaly priced. There is also a Starbucks, a CVS pharmacy, a large supermarket and a pastry shop there.

If the SWC is on time, you'll have more than enough time to explore either Michigan Ave or State Street or Millennium Park or all of them.

The 151 bus runs 24 hours a day and originates and terminates in front of the station - it's a quick, reliable way to get around and will take you to all of those destinations.

During the time of your layover, the bus runs approx. every 10 minutes and the stops are usually every 2 blocks so if you miss your stop, it won't kill you to walk back to it.

You can pay cash (even change - $2.25) on the bus or head over to the Metra Station near the Great Hall and buy a Transit Card from one of the machines.

151 Bus Schedule

You may not be there at breakfast time, but Lou Mitchell's on Jackson St about 2blocks from the station has the BEST omelettes. They have a website w/ menu.

Thanks for all the great tips, question how to get to giordanos? How to get to Lou Mitchells? Grektown? Also on previous trips have hiked a couple blocks to this building I'm not sure of the name, but inside there was a McDonalds, a Chinese restaurant and more importantly a small supermarket that sold beer, wine, and liquor. It was a great place to pick up some needed supplies, it was part of a apartment/condo building I think. Last time I was there, it was under construction however the market was still open. Anyone with info on this or perhaps a closer place of this nature??

Thanks for all the great tips, question how to get to giordanos? How to get to Lou Mitchells? Grektown?
Can't help with Greektown; but for Giordano's walk out the Jackson Street entrance on the southern side of the station and turn left. Cross the River on the bridge and walk another block. Giordanos is on the right side of the street.

For Lou's, exit Union Station via the Great Hall. You walk past the Amtrak ticket window and through a sliding door to reach the Great Hall. Bear to your left across the hall and out the exit there. Turn left and walk 1/4 of a block or so to Jackson. Cross Jackson and then turn right immediately to cross Clinton Street. Continue walking down Jackson and Lou's will be on you side of the street.

To get to Greektown from Union Station.

Exit the station and walk 1/2 block North to the corner of West Adams St. Make a left on West Adams and walk 3 or 4 blocks (go over Rt90/94) to South Halstead Street. Thats the heart of Greektown. If you get lost local Chicagoans should be able to guide you there. Its a 15 minute walk at best. Google maps show where Greektown is in relation to Union Station. When we are in Chiacago we always make it a point to dine in Greektown. Its the only neighborhood near the station where cafes, pizzarias, sandwich shops, and restaurants are in abundance plus there is a supermarket (Dominicks) and a CVS pharmacy there too just 2 blocks up on Halstead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greektown: Walk out Jackson exit. Turn right (west) on Jackson. Walk four blocks and over the highway (it's not bad). You'll find yourself in the middle of Greektown.

If you use the 'Get Directions' feature on the left side of Google Maps, there are icons for walking, auto, mass transit, and biking.

Input your to and from, click the walking icon and you'll get turn by turn directions as well as approx. traveling/walking time.

The CTA also participates in Google's transit directions (not all transit agencies participate).

Street view is also available for that whole area, grab the little orange person and put him/her on the map and you can actually *walk* the route before you even get there.

Click on the arrows on the map or double click in the direction you want to go, you can also turn by grabbing the street view and moving it.

Google Maps

Thanks for all the great tips, question how to get to giordanos? How to get to Lou Mitchells? Grektown? Also on previous trips have hiked a couple blocks to this building I'm not sure of the name, but inside there was a McDonalds, a Chinese restaurant and more importantly a small supermarket that sold beer, wine, and liquor. It was a great place to pick up some needed supplies, it was part of a apartment/condo building I think. Last time I was there, it was under construction however the market was still open. Anyone with info on this or perhaps a closer place of this nature??
This complex is on Monroe, between Clinton and Jefferson. The market is now a WalMart Fresh Market and has a lot of carry-out food you could take on the train.

Thanks for all the great tips, question how to get to giordanos? How to get to Lou Mitchells? Grektown?
Can't help with Greektown; but for Giordano's walk out the Jackson Street entrance on the southern side of the station and turn left. Cross the River on the bridge and walk another block. Giordanos is on the right side of the street.

For Lou's, exit Union Station via the Great Hall. You walk past the Amtrak ticket window and through a sliding door to reach the Great Hall. Bear to your left across the hall and out the exit there. Turn left and walk 1/4 of a block or so to Jackson. Cross Jackson and then turn right immediately to cross Clinton Street. Continue walking down Jackson and Lou's will be on you side of the street.
And to get to Greektown, you only need to follow Alan's direction to Lou's, but instead of stopping there, you continue to walk about 4 more blocks and you will be in the midst of Greektown!

One other contender for a great "only in Chicago" meal is Al's Italian Beef Sandwiches. They're great and I don't think I've ever seen Italian Beef sandwiches outside Chicago.

Al's is one block west of the Union Station "Great Hall" at Adams & Jefferson. Just walk west on Adams and it is right on the corner.

I'm going to be in CHI on the 19th, plan is to walk to the Maxwell Street Market, get a polish sausage sandwich at Jim's Original, walk across Roosevelt to the Field Museum then walk along the lake to the Art Institute then back to CUS. All in about 5 miles, weather is sunny and 37 so should not be too bad. The sausage sandwich should be gone by the time I walk back, have to walk right by Girodano's.

If you have the opportunity to use the new Walmart grocery store, please don't. The vast majority of Chicagoans don't want Walmart in the city, and we'd appreciate it if tourists didn't help support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back