NEC Delay July 28

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorbett70

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am at Newark NJ getting a close look at the three Viewliner sleepers of train 97 (from the outside as I'm not taking that train today). All NEC traffic has been stopped between Rahway and Trenton, including #97 in the NWK station, for an accident investigation around Edison, with a fatality of a reported trespasser.

87 made it out of MET but hasn't made it to TRE. Listed on Amtrak.com as "estimated arrival of" which has passed.

To the guests reading these post. As of now I'm counting 24. Please be patience. There is a lot going on right now. Please relax you will be moving as soon as it is safe to do so.

I''m stuck here at 30th Street waiting on a southbound Regional. Amtrak is stating that a "track obstruction" north of PHL as the reason for the delays. So that is their phrase for a trespasser getting hit. Given that the NEC is closed off corridor south of eastern CT, I'm surprised how often these trespasser fatalities occur. Although probably a majority are suicides, which are difficult to prevent.

I''m stuck here at 30th Street waiting on a southbound Regional. Amtrak is stating that a "track obstruction" north of PHL as the reason for the delays. So that is their phrase for a trespasser getting hit. Given that the NEC is closed off corridor south of eastern CT, I'm surprised how often these trespasser fatalities occur. Although probably a majority are suicides, which are difficult to prevent.
It would appear that the nature of injuries were such that all four tracks had to be temporarily taken out of service. Has happened in the past too.

It would appear that the nature of injuries were such that all four tracks had to be temporarily taken out of service. Has happened in the past too.
NJ Transit is calling it an "Amtrak trespasser incident." 45-60min delays, both directions.

I assume, then, that it was an Amtrak train directly involved and not NJ Transit.

EDIT: Sorry... missed the mention of the train number in the above posts... :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
NJ Transit is calling it an "Amtrak trespasser incident." 45-60min delays, both directions.

I assume, then, that it was an Amtrak train directly involved and not NJ Transit.
My guess is that train 87 was the primary train involved in the incident. But this is just a guess.

My guess is that train 87 was the primary train involved in the incident. But this is just a guess.
Here is the local newspaper article.
Funny the caption with the photo in the newspaper article reads "An Amtrak Acela train runs northbound on the Northeast Corridor line through Hamilton in 2002."

Understandable a local newspaper may not have the actual image from the incident, but ten year old photo? Could they not find anything more recent than that?
blink.gif

Here is the local newspaper article.
Funny the caption with the photo in the newspaper article reads "An Amtrak Acela train runs northbound on the Northeast Corridor line through Hamilton in 2002."

Understandable a local newspaper may not have the actual image from the incident, but ten year old photo? Could they not find anything more recent than that?
blink.gif
It's probably one they had on file since the very early days of Acela. To be honest, I hadn't realized that Acela is over 11 years old! I was thinking the 2002 was a typo!

Seems time flies, along with HSR!

<< reading an Amtrak tweet>>

UH OH! More delays tonight between BAL and PHL. Signal issues. "Repairs, underway!"

These incidents with "trespassers" yeah mostly suiciders - and yeah it happens in Japan and Europe and elsewhere too -- just leave me with a sick feeling in my guts.

The last time such an incident happened here a mile east of MSP station - I was waiting for the train, delayed about 90 minutes -- the cab drivers and hangers-on - when the train finally arrived at the station -- they all looking "wheres the blood and guts on the engine" :angry:

Yes I know, we all know that this kind of sick curiosity is based in deadly fear. But it still leaves me worried and even more fearful - the ghoulish media and the fear they feed.

Sorry to be a worrywart- stuff happens - people leave this life and leave problems for the survivors - that's always going to happen.

Guess I'm not going to do the "survivors guilt thing" in cases like this -- just harden the old heart and keep on living.

edit -- I was wrong to blame the "ghoulish media" - the media in these cases has been, in my experience, mostly pretty much factual as far as they can be, and mostly don't exploit these situations. Sorry.

These incidents with "trespassers" yeah mostly suiciders - and yeah it happens in Japan and Europe and elsewhere too -- just leave me with a sick feeling in my guts.

The last time such an incident happened here a mile east of MSP station - I was waiting for the train, delayed about 90 minutes -- the cab drivers and hangers-on - when the train finally arrived at the station -- they all looking "wheres the blood and guts on the engine" :angry:
They are unlikely to see such. One of the things that is usually done is that a fire truck is called out to hose down the equipment before it is allowed to proceed. They are very scrupulous in cleaning up the mess before they release the track and the equipment. That is the reason that they most likely transferred the passengers from 87 to 97 yesterday, to get them on their way while they finished professing the equipment involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back