NEC Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ispolkom

Engineer
Living in Minnesota, I rarely ride trains in the NEC. Hence, I am clue free on certain issues for an upcoming trip to see the big pterosaur exhibition at the American Museum of Natural History.

1) On regional trains, which car in the consist is the quiet one?

2) What's a good pizza place near NYP?

3) What beer is served in the cafe car?

The Quiet Car is 2nd in the consist. Behind BC. Major stations announce QC locations.

I'll defer your second question to the field.

Beer selection is almost the same as LD trains. Dog Fish 90 IPA, Sam Adams, Coors Light, Corona, etc.

As for question #2, I honestly wouldn't get pizza around NYP, I've never had a good slice near there and I've lived here for 20 years.

But if you are going to the Museum of Natural History, check out Ray's Pizza on 82nd Street and Columbus for the more "New York style on the go" pizza. Note: All Rays are not the same, so if you see another Ray's randomly in NY, it is likely not as good as this one. If you are looking for more of a sit down meal with higher quality pizza, Patsy's Pizzeria on 74th and Columbus is great but you need to order a pie, not individual slices.

By the way, the Petrosaur exhibit is great! I went with my significant other a few weeks ago. They have expert archaeologists (or whatever the term is for dinosaur researchers... Paleontologists?) that just walk around and talk to folks about the various fossils, I've never seen that in a special exhibit before. I would also recommend not going to the major museums on a weekend if possible. Nothing wrong with weekends, it's just significantly more crowded with tourists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bud lite and Coors lite cans, Heineken, Corona, Sam Adams, and maybe Dogfish Bottles...
Dogfish 90 Minute is really the only one of those that can be called beer.
SOME Sam Adams is good, some not so good! The Dogfish is OK, wish they'd Deep Six the Bud Light( Cow pee) and Corona, there are lots of better Mexican Beers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bud lite and Coors lite cans, Heineken, Corona, Sam Adams, and maybe Dogfish Bottles...
Dogfish 90 Minute is really the only one of those that can be called beer.
SOME Sam Adams is good, some not so good! The Dogfish is OK, wish they'd Deep Six the Bud Light( Cow pee) and Corona, there are lots of better Mexican Beers!
Your right, some Sam Adams is good, however Boston Lager is not and that is what Amtrak serves.

Pizza La Suprema is EXCELLENT. It is kitty corner to Penn Station on 8th Avenue, as mentioned by a previous poster. I have personally been there and can attest to the delicious-ness of their slices.

As mentioned, quiet car is always behind (or in front of) BC. They don't always announce it on the platform (in PVD they never do) but if you ask at the window they can tell you where it is. I just ask where BC is and then position myself accordingly. I don't know if they are just lazy or wait in PVD but they also don't use the little LCD displays at the various boarding points to show were FC or BC will be.

AGREED STRONGLY on NY Pizza Suprema! A few years ago I asked the Club Acela Attendant if there was a good pizza place nearby and she strongly recommended it, even inviting me to bring my slices back into the Lounge if I didn't want to eat there.

Now if you want to wander out and explore a bit, invest a few bucks in a Metrocard and take the Subway down to Katz's Deli on Houston Street. That is an institution worth visiting and the Pastrami on Rye with Matzo Ball Soup is well worth the trip!

I've always enjoyed Katz's pastrami, but the focus on this trip is the pterosaurs, so I'll just be taking the C train straight to the museum.

I'm back from the East Coast, and want to thank everyone who gave advice. The quiet car was tomb-like in its silence, the pterosaurs were great (the stations where you flapped your arms to control the video of the Pteranodon were a hoot), and the cheese slice at Pizza Suprema might be the best $3 I've ever spent.

There's a pretty decent pizza place a couple of blocks from NYP, but I cannot remember the exact address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back