NEC Service Disruption 5/2/22 - power outage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but there are major service disruptions on the NEC this morning between Rahway and Trenton NJ due to a power outage near Edison NJ. It appears that an auto struck a pole at an underpass under the railroad. So far 640, 642, 180, 2151 and 2152 are reporting disruptions. NJT is affected also of course.

The road in question is Talmadge Road.

everything is still halted. They are speculating early afternoon for things to start up. I am waiting for 91 in the NY Met Lounge.

Amtrak’s Train Status page turns out to be pretty useless during such outages.

The road in question is Talmadge Road.

everything is still halted. They are speculating early afternoon for things to start up. I am waiting for 91 in the NY Met Lounge.

Amtrak’s Train Status page turns out to be pretty useless during such outages.
I hope I don’t meet you in the lounge. ;)

Here is what happened in a photo

View attachment 28303

The problem could have been mitigated somewhat if the new utility national standards had been followed. Around here any utility lines crossing any road, other power lines above or below have to be guy supported. The poles that support lines crossing must be guyed so any pole will be pulled away from any crossing. That is obviously not the case in the picture. The power lines shown here appear to go above CAT but below high voltage (169k) lines.
Any location on the NEC should have any lines buried under the tracks. In this case under the sidewalk thru conduit. That includes power, phone, cable lines.

What I noticed, was how NJT made sure to mention that it was "due to Amtrak overhead wire issues"...
Standard press release practice between Amtrak and its various tenant lines, quick to point the finger at each other, even if justified...:rolleyes:
Nothing is ever NJT’s fault. That is the first rule of NJT’s media management group.

The second rule is - Even when it is NJT’s fault it is not NJT’s fault 😬

They feel quite relieved when following the rule does not involve bald faced lying I suppose. 🤷🏻

Last edited:
Back