NEC Service Disruption?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Just saw this on Twitter:

chrislhayes Rental car flat meant missed bus to DC to get train to NYC. Rented another car to drive to DC only to find all trains to NYC cancelled.

Looked over on Amtrak's website and they're showing Service Disruptions on everything. Nothing updated on Amtrak's Twitter recently...

chrislhayes Rental car flat meant missed bus to DC to get train to NYC. Rented another car to drive to DC only to find all trains to NYC cancelled.

Looked over on Amtrak's website and they're showing Service Disruptions on everything. Nothing updated on Amtrak's Twitter recently...

The NEC disruptions, I think, are due to the recent outbreak of tornados in new york city. I know that could do alot of damage to rail lines. No word of when they'll be restored tho, sorry.

WNBC is showing where tornadoes and severe thunderstorms scoured that entire area. While they didn't report anything about Amtrak, LIRR service has been disrupted due to fallen trees.

Here;s link to latest AP story. Massive power outrages in DC and surrounding area due to intense storms.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/07/25/us/politics/AP-US-DC-Power-Outages.html?ref=aponline

The NEC disruptions, I think, are due to the recent outbreak of tornados in new york city. I know that could do alot of damage to rail lines. No word of when they'll be restored tho, sorry.
Didn't realize that tornadoes could touch down in NYC. :unsure: I know there were some bad Storms along the NEC area today. Heard somewhere that 88 was stuck on Hell Gate and had to return to NYP. :eek: Last summer I traveled on 162 from PHL to RTE. The night before there were some bad storms. Messed up alot of stuff. Had to be pulled by 2 GP15D's from Sunnyside to NRO. Over 2 hours late. Called Amtrak and got a $35 TC for it a little over half of the $60 sale fare. :D

Steve

Last night's Silver Star was an hour late by the time it got to Philly. Now running over 7 hours late and only now noticed a service disruption. Kinda makes you appreciate diesel service, eh? :)

FWIW, I was caught in the delays yesterday on southbound train 145: boarded in PHL more or less on time at 2:17 pm, saw the storm pass over Delaware/Maryland, started slow running when leaving Baltimore. At BWI (about 4:15 pm) an announcement was made that the signals were down along the NEC, forcing the slowdown. Then, near Odenton, MD, a fallen tree pulled down the catenary, and we had to wait for that to be cleared up... finally arrived in WAS a little after 8 pm (our original arrival was to be about 4:15). I felt bad for the passengers continuing on to Lynchburg!

We still had power & AC the entire time, and in the Quiet Car, things were generally calm and peaceful. Not so in the Cafe Car, which remained mostly stocked but had a long line... It seems that everyone prone to drama was sitting back there, upset about the conditions, the lack of information (what other information do you need, really?), and that there was only one LSA working the cafe. ("How come all these other people who take tickets are just sitting around and not helping?") One even suggested that the situation was manufactured to help the LSA get rid of inventory. Nothing like serving the public, right?

Once in DC, the entire train board read "Delayed," and an announcement was made that there would be no need to exchange tickets--all tickets would be honored on the next available train. (I would have hated to see that!)

Anyhow, I'll be spending more trips in the Quiet Car in the future. :)

The thing I can never figure out is that when you've got a long delay like that, and you have a whole bunch of commuter stations available, why not just park in one of the commuter stations, and open up the doors so people can get out (burn one if necessary) or have loved ones pick them up if their final destination isn't too far away.

The thing I can never figure out is that when you've got a long delay like that, and you have a whole bunch of commuter stations available, why not just park in one of the commuter stations, and open up the doors so people can get out (burn one if necessary) or have loved ones pick them up if their final destination isn't too far away.
Agreed, but I believe it's legalities. Not sure. I could understand "burning one" but letting people de-train because there final destination is one stop away would make other passengers want to get off and have family pick them up. I think that would be a ripple effect, to make it worse Amtrak would have to give out refunds or partial refunds.

Steve

Regretably, due to a stupid few, legalities tend to trump common sense. Of course, ideally, it is best for a train to somehow limp to a station where folks can make up their own mind if they want to continue to be picked up. The train caught in the snow last Winter like 1/2 mile from the station comes to mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back