NEC state of good repair work and planned service expansion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sending this, I had glossed over that doc in the past but never saw the actual maps here. It looks fantastic as the improvements are massive.
But how does this work in light of that Amtrak 2035 document that was released pretty recently? Does this still supersede that document because 2035 seemed much less extensive and more getting everything into a state of good repair.
The purpose of a Tier I EIS is to provide the overall framework within which all projects SOGR, improvements and drastic new features must fall. Funding is usually tied to proposal showing how it furthers the achievement of the Tier I EIS objectives, and that is done on a per project Tier II EIS among other project documents. For that reason, the EIS is essentially two things, one is what needs to be done to the existing infrastructure as covered by the necessary work to support the Regional service. The other is the new High Speed infrastructure to support the new High Speed service. None of the latter is currently funded. All of the current funding and Amtrak's 2035 plan are consistent with the former and more or less in line with the Tier I EIS. Most of the proposed new ROW is part of the second aspect mentioned above. The Tier I EIS also represents a level of consensus among the vast number of stake holders regarding an overall direction to take.
And was any of this actual funded or is this all a beautifully funded pipe dream that will break ground in the year 2250? Is there a way to see what from the project was funded/rejected or if this entire thing was rejected? Nervous because if it wasn't funded with that giant check from the infra bill I don't know if it ever will be
Many small steps consistent with the EIS are funded and progressing. There were even more ambitious proposals in other alternatives that were rejected for various reasons. Funded projects include the Hudson Tubes, Portal Bridge, B&P Tunnel replacement, the bridge replacements in Connecticut, Pawtuckett Station, improvements at Baltimore, Philadelphia, Newark. Almost funded are quadruple tracking Secaucus Jct to Newark, Penn South, Boston South Station improvements etc. etc.

In so far as this EIS also serves as a consensus building document there is certain amount of local support to most things in it, and there is certain amount of NIMBY opposition to some parts, but that always has to be balanced with support in a consensus building process, which is another purpose served by this document. An example of what was tossed out due to overwhelming opposition was the various inland alignments which involved lot of tunneling under properties owned by very rich people and such. The Long Island route was also rejected partly because of that and partly because of the expense of tunneling under Long Island Sound. The process was quite exhaustive and exhausting and took about 5 years to complete.

Last edited:
There were even more ambitious proposals in other alternatives that were rejected for various reasons.
Got it, and just to confirm, the above comment is referring to proposals that were rejected and did not make it into the Tier I EIS, right? Or are some of the more ambitious proposals that were rejected still included in the Tier I EIS?

Got it, and just to confirm, the above comment is referring to proposals that were rejected and did not make it into the Tier I EIS, right? Or are some of the more ambitious proposals that were rejected still included in the Tier I EIS?
The rejected alternatives do not appear in the final EIS. Those can be found in the earlier Draft EIS's that were reviewed by stake holders and were used as the basis for feedback to narrow down the choice of alternatives to the ones that were finally selected and are presented in the Final EIS.

Wilmington is probably a more important station than the size of the city might suggest. Because of Delaware's attractive corporate laws, many companies that have nothing to do with Delaware are incorporated there, and I believe they have to maintain at least one office with and officer of the corporation resident in the state. Thus, I suspect that there's a good bit of business travel between these corporate offices and both the political capital (Washington, DC) and the financial capital (New York) of the country. Because all of the trains stop at Wilmington, that sharp curve coming into the station probably doesn't make much of a difference in total travel time, as the train is slowing down to make the stop, anyway.
At the end of the day, its not a top 10 Amtrak station in terms of ridership, and is barely a top 10 NEC station. Regionals should stop there and continue to do so, but Acela's should have flexibility to skip that stops and cut travel time should the demand and ticket sales be high enough

Read today that the portal south bridge is supposed to be a movable bridge while the Portal North will be a fixed span. Is there any reason for this? Are they both expected to have the same speed limit (I know the Portal North is supposed to be 90mph, but curious if that is also the case with the Portal South).

Read today that the portal south bridge is supposed to be a movable bridge while the Portal North will be a fixed span. Is there any reason for this? Are they both expected to have the same speed limit (I know the Portal North is supposed to be 90mph, but curious if that is also the case with the Portal South).
At one time Portal South was supposed to be a moveable bridge, and the North Bridge was supposed to be a three track bridge. I suspect you are looking at some out of date document.

The latest NEPA re-evaluation document says that the South Bridge will be 50' high fixed structure like the North Bridge, and both will be two track bridges.

https://railroads.dot.gov/elibrary/nepa-environmental-re-examination-worksheet

Last edited:
At one time Portal South was supposed to be a moveable bridge, and the North Bridge was supposed to be a three track bridge. I suspect you are looking at some out of date document.

The latest NEPA re-evaluation document says that the South Bridge will be 50' high fixed structure like the North Bridge, and both will be two track bridges.

https://railroads.dot.gov/elibrary/nepa-environmental-re-examination-worksheet
Thank you! You were correct, I couldnt find the latest version and had been looking at an out of date version. Great to see they changed their mind, I have no idea why they would build a fixed span next to a movable one when they could just build basically the same bridge twice. No reason to get cute with such a big project.

IIRC it is south of the present Swing Bridge. But this is from memory from the last time I looked at those documents.
That may explain why there is a lot of heavy equipment operating on both sides of the current portal bridge. Certainly work is going on to the north, but was surprised to see activity also occurring to the south as well (I didn't think funding was approved for it yet)

Amtrak filed a complaint Thursday in the U.S. District Court of Maryland against four West Baltimore property owners the rail provider claims stand in the way of replacing the aging Baltimore and Potomac Tunnel.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/...2bWhVP5mfZ-k2KxEm5la6Fxpe7lZ6tBax1sxEVimxTrTg
Looking at Google maps, those properties don't stand out as in the way, unless they are planning something big and have already come to terms with other property owners in the area.

Looking at Google maps, those properties don't stand out as in the way, unless they are planning something big and have already come to terms with other property owners in the area.
They are most likely needed to make room for the new 100mph capable RoW for the new tunnel. See the new tunnel approach alignment on this page:

https://www.amtrak.com/about-amtrak/fdtunnel.html
and compare it with the location of those addresses.

Amtrak has two Procurement Notices for qualification out that affect NEC North:

1. Electrification of Track 6 at New London CT

2. Construction of Universal Interlocking Veltri around Mystic CT

For scope of work you can take a look at the relevant documentation accessible from the Opportunity Search Page (must be opened using Chrome).

Amtrak has two Procurement Notices for qualification out that affect NEC North:

1. Electrification of Track 6 at New London CT

For scope of work you can take a look at the relevant documentation accessible from the Opportunity Search Page (must be opened using Chrome).
Do you know if Amtrak intends to turn the high level riverside platform at New London into a true island platform? I assume electrifying track 6 is for SLE but the current high level platform only has space for one door to open on the track 6 side.

Also the link works in Safari.

Do you know if Amtrak intends to turn the high level riverside platform at New London into a true island platform? I assume electrifying track 6 is for SLE but the current high level platform only has space for one door to open on the track 6 side.

Also the link works in Safari.
I just copied what it said on the web page. Good to know it works on Safari too.

I have no idea what the underlying plan is. It is apparently in the tome that constitutes the list of work items that is maintained by the NEC Commission.

The new interlocking will be at MP 133.2 which puts it in the straightaway portion of track to the East of Mystic station. I wonder how they came up with that name, given that there is nothing in the area named Veltri or anything like it.

Also, looking at OpenRailwayMap or on satellite view I don't see a track 6. Starting at BROOK west of the station from north to south tracks 3, 1, 2 and 4. Tracks 3, 1, and 2 run through the station with a couple of sidings East of the station then at VIEW 3 joins 1 for 2 tracks East of there across the Conn River bridge. Perhaps this is a new track being added?

Last edited:
The new interlocking will be at MP 133.2 which puts it in the straightaway portion of track to the East of Mystic station. I wonder how they came up with that name, given that there is nothing in the area named Veltri or anything like it.

Also, looking at OpenRailwayMap or on satellite view I don't see a track 6. Starting at BROOK west of the station from north to south tracks 3, 1, 2 and 4. Tracks 3, 1, and 2 run through the station with a couple of sidings East of the station then at VIEW 3 joins 1 for 2 tracks East of there across the Conn River bridge. Perhaps this is a new track being added?
No it is already there. It is the track closest to the river and was used by SLE prior to them switching to the M8’s. It is signed as track 6 at the station and can be seen in the picture below. IMG_0078.png

Last edited:

You're looking at the wrong train station. Old Saybrook is between Brook and View. 6 track is in New London train station and it is a doozy. I was talking to a friend of mine and she casually pointed out something I never really thought about. It literally drops you in the middle of a grade crossing...between the gates. :eek:

You're looking at the wrong train station. Old Saybrook is between Brook and View. 6 track is in New London train station and it is a doozy. I was talking to a friend of mine and she casually pointed out something I never really thought about. It literally drops you in the middle of a grade crossing...between the gates. :eek:
Oops sorry I was looking at Old Saybrook not New London

Back