Need advice for short Empire Builder/Glacier National Park trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, R.

Yes, if the eastbound was extremely late, we just wouldn't be able to take it, I suppose. That would eliminate one of the two main reasons for the trip, though!

Still pondering all these things and hoping to make it all work.

A million thanks, all!
Maybe you need to add a day or two to your trip.

I would suggest that you plan your Empire Builder trip first thing in your visit. Fly to Kalispell and stay at Whitefish that night. Take the eastbound train to East Glacier the next morning. Come back on the westbound train that evening or the next day to West Glacier and then you take your bus tour from there. In that way if there is a major disruption to the train trip you have the option of rebooking it and taking it a day or two later.

The Belton Chalet and the Glacier Highland are beside each other at West Glacier and they are right across the highway from the train station so even if the westbound train is late, you merely walk across the highway to your lodging if you stay there.

Maybe you need to add a day or two to your trip.

I would suggest that you plan your Empire Builder trip first thing in your visit. Fly to Kalispell and stay at Whitefish that night. Take the eastbound train to East Glacier the next morning. Come back on the westbound train that evening or the next day to West Glacier and then you take your bus tour from there. In that way if there is a major disruption to the train trip you have the option of rebooking it and taking it a day or two later.

The Belton Chalet and the Glacier Highland are beside each other at West Glacier and they are right across the highway from the train station so even if the westbound train is late, you merely walk across the highway to your lodging if you stay there.

Great suggestions, R! I think that may be a better plan. I also greatly appreciate the added info on the hotels.

We were trying to hold our trip to four nights but that may not work out. Also, we'd have to have an advance reservation for our Red Bus tour, and we'd also get our train reservations ahead of time. That cuts down on some flexibility of course. Lots to consider.

I've got to phone my friend with all this new info. Again, many many thanks!

Back