Need advice on traveling from Chicago to Redding California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compuwriter

Train Attendant
Hello!

Next spring we may be taking a trip out to Redding, California from NYC. We have taken multiple trips to the Midwest with Chicago as our end point so we are good on getting there.

I understand that Redding is a stop on the Coast Starlight route. I would like some advice on which of the connecting routes would be the best to take. We expect this to be a one-time only trip so even taking different routes out and back could work. I think we would be looking at these 3 routes and most likely would be doing a roomette

Southwest Chief

California Zephyr

Empire Builder
Many thanks!

If you are doing 2 routes then I've been recommend eastbound doing the Empire Builder and the CZ West bound.

The CZ is one of the best scenic trains in North America (if not the world) however if you are late running going west bound you can end up heading down into Denver in the dark, and this is a stunning segment of the journey so you don't want to miss seeing it, East bound you do this AM so very unlikely to travel this part in the dark.

The Empire Builder also has stunning views and you can decide if you want to start in Seattle or Portland, I'm opting for Portland as the river gorge views are meant to be stunning, but from Seattle you run along the Sounds and then up into the Cascade tunnels.

The Southwest Chief still has stunning views just not as many as the other 2 is what I have been told

Although which ever options and routes you travel you will have some great views and wonderful experiences and fantastic stories to tell when you get back home.

We just went through the Rockies on the California Zephyr, and it was beautiful.

If you want to see the west coast, I would take the Southwest Chief, then connect in L.A. with the Coast Starlight up to Redding.

We really like the Coast Starlight route.

Then you could either go back by the Coast Starlight north to Seattle and take the Empire Builder, which has beautiful views or choose to go south and connect in Sacramento to the California Zephyr.

Have a great trip!

I would take the Cardinal to Chicago - its three days a week so it's timing determines all other,,,

I would take the Westbound Zephyr - the views are almost guaranteed to be daylight,,,

I use Sacramento to change from the Zephyr to the Starlight,,,,,, while on the starlight get a roomette so you can access the Pacific Parlor Car. I would take the Starlight to LA then the Chief to Chicago - I think the Starlight trumps the EB,

We were supposed to make this loop last month, but i have to have open heart surgyery in ten days,,, rather limits travel options,,,,, but i have already booked for next May.

Which ever route you choose, kick back and enjoy

The OP is headed to Redding, which is north of Sacramento. I agree with taking the Zephyr westbound for the best daylight views. The only drawback to that is that you have to change to the northbound Coast Starlight in late evening. If you are not good at sitting up till midnight in the station (I did it once, and it was 1am due to a late Starlight, so never again), I'd recommend the SW Chief westbound. This allows you to get on the Starlight at Los Angeles, and have the best part of the coast journey which is LA to SLO, capped by the Cuesta Grade up to the Coast Range. Be sure and book a sleeping accommodation for this, as you will get to watch the coast from the famous purple lounge chairs in the PPC. If you retire after dinner, they will wake you for Redding on the wee hours.

Eastbound, I'd take any of the routes you did not take westbound (especially if you missed the CZ). If you do go north for the Empire Builder, try to get up as early as you can in order to see Mt Shasta (right side), and next day for Glacier park (left, then right). Both these views are by the dawn's early light (though if you sleep in a little, the views are still good through the morning, you can see Mt Shasta in the distance by getting off the train and looking straight south from the Klamath Falls station).

If it were me, I would take the CZ to Sac(2:00+ pm. arrival) and a rental car drive up I-5 to Redding.

Any involvement with the CS means 2:00 to 3:30 am. arrival or departure in Redding.

If it were me, I would take the CZ to Sac(2:00+ pm. arrival) and a rental car drive up I-5 to Redding.

Any involvement with the CS means 2:00 to 3:30 am. arrival or departure in Redding.
Nice idea, but with Reddings calling times on the Starlight being in the wee hours, is there anyway you could turn in a rent car in Redding without having to hang around the Train Station waiting on the Starlight late @ night? And is there anything to do there @ night close to the station?

Last edited by a moderator:
ScouseAndy has his directions reversed; otherwise I concur. The climb up/down the Front Range is arguably the highlight of the CZ and you're far more likely to see it on a westbound train if delayed. I personally would be tempted to rent a car to/from Davis rather than Sacramento as the CS hours are more reasonable. I suppose you could travel to/from Klamath Falls and do the same thing.

Amtrak also runs a through way bus from Sacramento to Redding to avoid the bad calling times! The station code seems to be different. I guess the train station and through way stops are in different locations.

^^ I was going to look up the times for the Ambus up to Redding but for some reason right now Amtrak's website is having major issues and I got an error when looking for the schedule. If it were me I'd rather that option if a car rental to RDD wasn't feasible. It's only a 2-2.5 hour drive from SAC to RDD and since they roll the sidewalks up in RDD fairly early I'd rather just get there than wait around in any of Sacramento, Davis or Emeryville.

Nice idea, but with Reddings calling times on the Starlight being in the wee hours, is there anyway you could turn in a rent car in Redding without having to hang around the Train Station waiting on the Starlight late @ night? And is there anything to do there @ night close to the station?
Not much to do in Redding without a car. Some of the most beautiful country in California is only a day-trip away.

I was figuring to keep the rental car the entire visit and drop it back in Sac. They could board the southbound CS around 6am. on the morning after they drop off the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back