Need bagel shop recommendations near NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check their website for hours, I know they are closed Sundays. The one at the other end (old Amtrak Rotunda) is temporarily closed. If you come into Moynihan, it a a decent walk to the 7th Ave end, but worth it...

My father was born in 1895.We did not have bagels in our house till the 1950’s.I did not eat them on a regular basis till the 1970’s.

I always remind people, good bagels are much more common than good bialys.
Preach it, brother. Good bialys are almost impossible to find in most places, even those that have very good bagels. Mimi Sheraton of the NYT has written a whole book about bialys, their history, and their meaning to the Jews of Poland and their descendants; it's called The Bialy Eaters. Her book has a very detailed recipe for bialys in it--which I have atttempted exactly once. Lots of steps, and a two day process, but very authentic results. Unfortunately, it uses fresh yeast, which I used to be able to get at one of the upscale supermarkets around here, but they've discontinued it. Maybe I should try to re-work it to use SAF yeast...

I think you can get that stale bun taste from pretty much all bagels? :D

I think that’s because you’re English, Eddie. My mother was English, and I think bagels taste like stale buns, too. However, I also consider overcooked Brussels sprouts a delicacy, so what do I know?😁

Bagels taste less like stale buns if you slather them with cinnamon raisin spread. Then they taste more like stale donuts.

I’m ducking now before the bagels start getting thrown at me.😁😮

For the unfamiliar, a proper bagel is "boiled" before baking, a bialy is not.
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. The few bialies I've had in my life didn't have that chewy outer shell of a properly made bagel. They had a texture similar to some focaccias that I've encountered, or even a slice of Sicilian pizza.

I think that’s because you’re English, Eddie. My mother was English, and I think bagels taste like stale buns, too. However, I also consider overcooked Brussels sprouts a delicacy, so what do I know?😁

Bagels taste less like stale buns if you slather them with cinnamon raisin spread. Then they taste more like stale donuts.

I’m ducking now before the bagels start getting thrown at me.😁😮
can’t buy into the bagel taste, but as far the Brussels sprouts your are right on. Balsamic vinegar and cook them until you are ashamed of yourself. Really good

Back