NER Carry-On Baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemi24s

Engineer
Am booked in Business Class on NER #143 from BWI to WAS in a few months. Amtrak carry-on baggage policy is pretty well spelled out here... https://www.amtrak.com/carry-on-baggage ...but looking at the single level coach car diagrams there doesn't seem to be much (if any) floor space for a full sized suitcases.

Do full sized suitcases need to be put into the overhead racks?

Am booked in Business Class on NER #143 from BWI to WAS in a few months. Amtrak carry-on baggage policy is pretty well spelled out here... https://www.amtrak.com/carry-on-baggage ...but looking at the single level coach car diagrams there doesn't seem to be much (if any) floor space for a full sized suitcases.

There is usually room on each end of each car: a small rack similar to the style in the Superliners if I'm remembering correctly, and a tiny bit of space big enough for only a couple large suitcases. Even though Amtrak's baggage policy is well spelled out, in my experience some people bring a backpack, two large suitcases (as in international travel size), and do usually struggle getting them through the aisles, but I've never seen an employee stop them.

There is usually room on each end of each car: a small rack similar to the style in the Superliners if I'm remembering correctly, and a tiny bit of space big enough for only a couple large suitcases. Even though Amtrak's baggage policy is well spelled out, in my experience some people bring a backpack, two large suitcases (as in international travel size), and do usually struggle getting them through the aisles, but I've never seen an employee stop them.
Yeah. Amfleets have a rack at the end of the car, which usually isn't full. The unofficial rule on basically every Amtrak train is that if you can carry it on yourself (without assistance), you can bring it. Any reasonably sized suitcase will fit in the overheads, and if there isn't space, ask a crew member and they'll probably work something out,

People also usually pile stuff up in the wheelchair space which obviously is not proper, but it certainly happens. Once, I saw someone board in a wheelchair and the conductor told people to move the bags or they (the bags) were getting thrown off the train. Folks slithered up the aisle with embarrassed looks on their faces to move their bags from the space with the sign that says not to store bags in it. Being on 143, you stop at New Carrolton before WAS but only to discharge passengers, so you won't have an issue. Are you connecting to something else in WAS? Seems unusual (and expensive) to use BC for a 35 min trip. Depending on timing, many folks choose MARC if suitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you connecting to something else in WAS? Seems unusual (and expensive) to use BC for a 35 min trip. Depending on timing, many folks choose MARC if suitable.
Am connecting to the CL in a sleeper in WAS which departs at 4:05 PM.

The only single level coaches I'm familiar with are those on the Hiawatha twixt CHI and MKE. These have a clear area of about 6 to 8 feet in length at one end of the car, but these cars may be different that those on the NERs.

Had thought about using a MARC train from BWI to WAS but don't know how well they accommodate carry-on baggage.

As mentioned by other respondents, there is a designated area for luggage storage in every coach. It's about 3 feet wide but it only exists at the non-restroom end of the car if memory serves. I also recall a shelf about 3 feet of the floor in that area to accommodate more than just items on the floor. One note, however, if your luggage has 4 wheels, don't let it 'stand' on those wheels as it will roll around every time the train takes a curve or crosses from one track to another.

Are you connecting to something else in WAS? Seems unusual (and expensive) to use BC for a 35 min trip. Depending on timing, many folks choose MARC if suitable.
Am connecting to the CL in a sleeper in WAS which departs at 4:05 PM.

The only single level coaches I'm familiar with are those on the Hiawatha twixt CHI and MKE. These have a clear area of about 6 to 8 feet in length at one end of the car, but these cars may be different that those on the NERs.

Had thought about using a MARC train from BWI to WAS but don't know how well they accommodate carry-on baggage.
If your only real concern about taking MARC is dealing with carry-ons, there shouldn't be a problem, especially given the time of day. That's what I would do, but I don't really know what your preferences and considerations are (obviously).

Booking the CL with the connection to the sleeper the default choice has been the BC on the NER. Since I come from NYP I usually switch it to coach, you save a good chunk of money. (even less with the Penn to PGH connection, but that leaves really early, and connects in the late night hours. Might not be a big deal money wise for your short ride. Keep in mind you can use the Club Acela in WAS for your wait, and if you are going to a destination with checked baggage, you could check bags for the CL. Only check what you will not need access to during the trip. If not, SL sleepers have a pretty large bag storage rack downstairs for carry on, lots of folks pack a few smaller or lighter bags for "immediate access or valuables" and leave the rest downstairs.

I’ve actually seen a conductor shove a full sized suitcase in the overhead rack before. It only fit about 3/4 of the way but it made it all the way from pgh to 30th street without falling. Took 2 guys to get it back down at 30th street.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I've taken the MARC train a few times between WAS and BWI with as many as 4 bags. There's a bus that takes you from the airport to the train station that runs frequently. I've also used the next train strategy, when you get the station find out what the next train is and take that train.

I've taken the MARC train a few times between WAS and BWI with as many as 4 bags. There's a bus that takes you from the airport to the train station that runs frequently. I've also used the next train strategy, when you get the station find out what the next train is and take that train.
While the which train is next strategy isn't a bad one.. I personally wouldn't do that.. If the next train is an Amtrak train that bucket might be pretty darn high. In which case I'd spend the money on a Marc fare.

Back