Nevada Rain, Desert Wind Track Damaged

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-1

Engineer
Honored Member
Aloha

I do not have any picture links but Monday's rain has washed away much of the earth under the tracks used buy the Desert Wind to Salt Lake City. Freight traffic is not expected to resume before the week end. I wonder it that will have an effect on the California Zephyr.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CZ will continue to run hours and hours late. The harsh weather was hundreds of miles south. And reroute traffic won't likely spill over to the former SP through northern Nevada. If it does, **** poor dispatching isn't anything new anyway after the AAR lawsuit ruling in May of 2014 that stripped Amtrak of power to enforce schedule contracts.

And the Desert Wind will never return. Ever. Once Amtrak tosses something out, it's history. Speaking of weather, look no further than the NOL-Florida segment of the Sunset Limited. They have zero intention of service restoration and it's been nearly a decade since Katrina.

The question posed by the OP is really a non-starter.

Once Amtrak tosses something out, it's history.
Yes. For example, when Amtrak got rid of its "pointless arrow" logo, it was never seen again.

AyIvHWx.png

So the true point, I guess, is to never say never. You never know what the complete future holds, one way or the other.

And yes, I know I used the word "never" in that last sentence. That's life, full of surprises and contradictions. Go be happy and, spread some of it around.

Aloha

I never said I expected to Get the Desert Wind Back. Yes I want it, but do not expect it. Not having any other knowledge of track location terminology how else could I identify the track location. The reason I think it would affect the California Zephyr is because freights that would use that track from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles and can't get through. I think there may be as many as 10 a day on that line. These are somewhere, What can they do to the CZ dispatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back