Airo - Amfleet I replacement Siemens Inter City Trainsets (ICT)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks gentlemen. I had my suspicions that the Albany and beyond trains with batteries in the battery car were designs not finalized. If or not there is a powered truck on front truck will affect many operational possibilities as well. As you pointed out will there even be seats? The only item for sure seems to be no CAT PAN. However, there seems to be no reason that a CAT equipped train could not go to Albany as CAT is installed to the end of the west side access tunnel at NYP? But the Battery car trains do have the advantage of being able to go to NYG.

Once Amtrak completes the forced acquisition of WASH union station from the present leese then items can be done that the present leese will not cooperate. One item mentioned is Amtrak says immediate work on the 1st street tunnel is needed. That may include your electrification. Of course, only if Superliners will clear the CAT enough. Actually, using a conducting rail insulated against the celling is a real possibility. Done at many rail locations worldwide.

That might be workable depending how long a warmup is required for the diesel prime mover. It may be that the connection to the CAT at WASH will allow warmups if the diesel has some kind of heater(s) for the diesel coolant.

It would be really good to electrify the First Street tunnel, just south of Washington Union Station, to resolve the smoke problem.

That might be workable depending how long a warmup is required for the diesel prime mover. It may be that the connection to the CAT at WASH will allow warmups if the diesel has some kind of heater(s) for the diesel coolant.
NJT has been transitioning from electric to diesel for years through many winters on their ALP45DPs. I do not recall them running the diesels for a very long time before transitioning. I would be surprised if the Siemens ones would be much different.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the clearance is in the First Street tunnel?
My guess is it is at least 16'6" above rail since Superliners are known to operate through there without scraping the roof. So there is enough dynamic clearance for them. But that does not mean there is space for catenary necessarily.

NJT has been transitioning from electric to diesel for years through many winters on their ALP46DPs. I do not recall them running the diesels for a very long time before transitioning. I would be surprised if the Siemens ones would be much different.
As long as there's electricity in the trainset, it should be trivial to have a coolant heater for the diesel.

Two interesting infographics making their rounds on social media today…

intercity_trainset_configurations.jpg

intercity_trainset_power_control_features_02.jpg

It is puzzling that Amtrak will use battery pack train sets on the Empire corridor. A 1- or 2-mile extension of NYP CAT north of present end on the west side line would seem easily done unless the diesel engines have a long warm up time. One reason might be Amtrak does not want to worry if there is a CAT failure at NYP. Also, the battery pack trains could be used as a Hudson River rescue train instead of using the third rail equipment in those tunnels. The other item might be that battery pack trains could detour to GCT on very short notice. It is also a possible to use the battery pack trains for lay over in Albany. My take it would be better to string a short section of CAT to provide overnight current at Albany.

Overall I like what I see, but the food service cars should be placed in the middle of the trainset, not right after Business Class. On the NER Coach passengers could have to walk (or  wheel) through up to six cars! 😲 Not good. If Amtrak is soo worried about BC passengers having to walk through a few cars just hire a BC attendant.

Is anyone else seeing information that the batteries will take up more of the car than the pantograph? I’ve seen an unofficial drawing with batteries taking the whole car. Plus speculation that batteries will require additional length.

I’ve also not seen anything indicating the battery car will have a driven truck like the pantograph car does. Has anyone else heard otherwise?

Finally, the 2022 NGEC presentation seems to indicate that only the pantograph car is called an APV and the battery car is just called a battery car. Is there any other “official” information on the naming?

Is anyone else seeing information that the batteries will take up more of the car than the pantograph? I’ve seen an unofficial drawing with batteries taking the whole car. Plus speculation that batteries will require additional length.

I’ve also not seen anything indicating the battery car will have a driven truck like the pantograph car does. Has anyone else heard otherwise?

Finally, the 2022 NGEC presentation seems to indicate that only the pantograph car is called an APV and the battery car is just called a battery car. Is there any other “official” information on the naming?
The infographic above calls both Auxilliary Power Vehicles, shows both including BC seating, and says the pantograph APV has a powered truck but says the battery APV sends power to the locomotive with no mention of a powered truck.

ETA: But I just saw @jis's reply saying he doesn't think it's official.

Back