New Amtrak Alerts Twitter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more technically savvy members of this forum may want to investigate using If This Then That (iftttt.com) to follow this account and set up push notifications for their favorite routes. I have something similar set up for Metrolink here in Los Angeles for the specific train I ride and it works well.

That’s gonna be a lot of Tweeting.
I laughed at this, but you are correct. And this is not to poke fingers at Amtrak's reliability, but after scrolling through that Twitter feed, I'm led to believe it's basically useless in its current form. If you subscribe to this, you are going to get a constant stream of "LD train that departed XYZville on X/Y is operating __ hours late due to _______________." Interesting to rail fans, but the noise-to-signal ratio is pretty bad for the general public.

People who use Twitter are probably also using Amtrak's app, or the website itself, to check on the status of a specific train. Amtrak should save this Twitter account for incidents that rise to the level of a Service Disruption, IMO.

That’s gonna be a lot of Tweeting.
I laughed at this, but you are correct. And this is not to poke fingers at Amtrak's reliability, but after scrolling through that Twitter feed, I'm led to believe it's basically useless in its current form. If you subscribe to this, you are going to get a constant stream of "LD train that departed XYZville on X/Y is operating __ hours late due to _______________." Interesting to rail fans, but the noise-to-signal ratio is pretty bad for the general public.

People who use Twitter are probably also using Amtrak's app, or the website itself, to check on the status of a specific train. Amtrak should save this Twitter account for incidents that rise to the level of a Service Disruption, IMO.

Well, Service Disruptions or trains more than three hours late. That seems to be the threshold that causes many missed connections and other aggravations.

They have had delay alert for quite awhile. You could sign up for text or e-mail notifications about specific trains/stations (up to 6) you were interested in. Cancellation/Major disruption info would be included separately for passengers with reservations.

The more technically savvy members of this forum may want to investigate using If This Then That (iftttt.com) to follow this account and set up push notifications for their favorite routes. I have something similar set up for Metrolink here in Los Angeles for the specific train I ride and it works well.
Sounds good. I simply subscribed to text alerts for the Ventura County line directly from a link on the Metrolink website. The text alerts actually originate via Twitter.

I follow several things on twitter but with all the "noise", I rarely look at Twitter itself.

Back