New Amtrak Covid Policy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my first post-pandemic Amtrak trip and a conductor made an announcement of a brand new policy.
Passengers are expected to go to Amtrak.com and answer several COVID related questions. First I've heard of this, and I called AGR to inquire and was told it was new to her so she had no details but she was able to take my answers.
There are several questions but not among them is if you've been vaccinated. I don't know what happens to riders who don't do it, as it's so new egos gonna know? I'm generally supportive of common sense safety measures, but I find this to be a bit over the top at this point in the pandemic.

I just filled out my pre-covid check for my Acela trip tomorrow to NYP. It was just a bullet point check of the usual. Just check that you acknowledged the following:

Copy and pasted:
  • You do not have symptoms of COVID-19
  • Within past 14 days, you have not been in close contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
  • You have not tested positive for COVID-19, or if you have, you meet CDC criteria for coming out if isolation.
  • No member of your household (including you) is waiting for the results of a diagnostic COVID-19 test, which was taken because of COVID-19 symptoms.
  • You agree to wear a mask at all times in compliance with federal laws and Amtrak policy.

Pretty easy. Took about 15 seconds.

I just filled out my pre-covid check for my Acela trip tomorrow to NYP. It was just a bullet point check of the usual. Just check that you acknowledged the following:

Copy and pasted:
  • You do not have symptoms of COVID-19
  • Within past 14 days, you have not been in close contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
  • You have not tested positive for COVID-19, or if you have, you meet CDC criteria for coming out if isolation.
  • No member of your household (including you) is waiting for the results of a diagnostic COVID-19 test, which was taken because of COVID-19 symptoms.
  • You agree to wear a mask at all times in compliance with federal laws and Amtrak policy.

Pretty easy. Took about 15 seconds.
They asked me those questions and checked my temperature at the checkin desk of the Metropolitan Lounge in NYP, but at that time they did not ask me those to get on the train.

It's the same questions doctor's offices and other places ask before you show up. I volunteer at a food bank and I have to answer those questions each time - though I'm the one who asks them of myself. Plus we're supposed to take our temperature before going.

By having you answer all the questions ... it gives them better enforcement of the mask policy because you have agreed to it before getting on the train and can't say "I didn't know"
If you buy your ticket online you have to acknowledge the mask requirement before you can proceed with payment. That’s been in place for months.

Every time I go to the doctor's office, I am asked about "...shortness of breath or difficulty breathing..." They had better clarify that one with their employees. I am on oxygen and yes, I do have difficulty breathing and shortness of breath that has nothing to do with Covid. I'd hate to be denied boarding because of a coach attendant on a power trip.

It just struck me how afraid some of us are of Train Attendants! Maybe that should be another thread.

When I answer the questions I don't answer yes if my symptom is something normal to me, like my sinus drip cough.
There have been times that I've just said "I pass all the questions" rather than have them all read to me (especially since I sometimes have trouble hear/understanding them).

I've taken about 5 Amtrak trips (10 rides) in the past year starting last June, and most recently about 2 weeks ago, and I was never asked any of these Covid questions when booking. (I use the app to book). I recall agreeing to wear a mask, but no questions asking me about a list of COVID symptoms.

I've taken about 5 Amtrak trips (10 rides) in the past year starting last June, and most recently about 2 weeks ago, and I was never asked any of these Covid questions when booking. (I use the app to book). I recall agreeing to wear a mask, but no questions asking me about a list of COVID symptoms.
The questions are new. I have not had to answer any either for my previous trips, the last one was in March.

The questions are new. I have not had to answer any either for my previous trips, the last one was in March.
Given that it looks like the pandemic might be winding down, this seems to be a case of locking the barn door after the cows have escaped.

(I know that the pandemic isn't over, but the case rate is certainly lower than it was last winter when I took my trip to DC.)

Also, I booked a few trips a few weeks ago for June, and I wasn't asked any questions during the booking. I have my e-tickets, and I presume I can just drive to the station and board my train (wearing a mask, of course.)

Given that it looks like the pandemic might be winding down, this seems to be a case of locking the barn door after the cows have escaped.
(I know that the pandemic isn't over, but the case rate is certainly lower than it was last winter when I took my trip to DC.)

Also, I booked a few trips a few weeks ago for June, and I wasn't asked any questions during the booking. I have my e-tickets, and I presume I can just drive to the station and board my train (wearing a mask, of course.)
As you might suspect, the questions are asked 24-48 hours before your trip since they're time sensitive questions. You'll get an email with a link when they want you to answer them. As to the timing of the questions (now instead of months ago), it might be because they've gone back to full capacity.

Every time I go to the doctor's office, I am asked about "...shortness of breath or difficulty breathing..." They had better clarify that one with their employees. I am on oxygen and yes, I do have difficulty breathing and shortness of breath that has nothing to do with Covid. I'd hate to be denied boarding because of a coach attendant on a power trip.

It just struck me how afraid some of us are of Train Attendants! Maybe that should be another thread.
The only places I go to where they ask these questions are medical facilities and I say yes to shortness of breath and a few of the others that I experience on a regular basis, but I always add that they had been ongoing for several years prior to Covid19. I don't know if it would be wise to answer in the affirmative even with the extra information that I provide to a non-medical entity, although I do believe (or at least hope) that most people are reasonable. I would be curious to hear how train riders fare if they do answer with correct yes answers with explanations.

Edit: I just realized that these are written questions, so I don't know if there is a field for an explanation. I would probably like to add near the end if there are any comment fields available "Since I do have shortness of breath, I would appreciate assistance with baggage placement if the rack is higher up than 2 or 3 feet."

I agree about the timing of the questions being because of going back to full capacity. They may simply be covering themselves if someone gets sick because the stranger they had to sit next to was sick.

That's why I took my two short trips in early May, so I could avoid sitting next to a stranger.

Actually whether you have symptoms or not when booking is not terribly important unless you are going tot ravel immediately after that. They are important when you are boarding the train. So it makes sense that they (Amtrak and the airlines) do not ask symptoms questions while booking a trip. They might inform you that when traveling you would need to answer those questions.

Generally you have to answer those questions to get a boarding pass while checking in for airline flights. Amtrak is trying to institute something that is somewhat equivalent to that in its world where you dont have to check in to get a boarding pass.

There may be good reasons to implement the policy with Amtrak going to full capacity but I don't understand why they wouldn't ask if you're vaccinated. Technically, you can still get and carry COVID but the chances are minimal.
Whether you are vaccinated or not does not change anything as far as access to the trains and the protocol to follow while on the train, so it makes sense that it is not asked. As soon as vaccinated people are allowed to stop wearing masks on trains maybe they'll ask, though it is not clear how they will enforce such a thing.

Back