New Amtrak Covid Policy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are the second person who has reported people hitting them up for money in Coach. I would be unspeakably uncomfortable if that happened to me! o_O It happens on the subway, but I didn't expect that on Amtrak.

I'm riding the southbound Crescent later today and it is supposedly at 90% capacity. I'll let y'all know how the Covid precautions are.
If that happens to you on Amtrak, politely decline. If the person persists, immediately inform a crewmember, and also ask to be reseated away from that person, perferably in another car. No one should have to tolerate that sort of behavior aboard Amtrak...

I boarded the Crescent at Birmingham yesterday and rode to New Orleans. The train was completely sold out and the staff did a great job of assigning seats in coach and getting us loaded quickly. They were well prepared for full capacity in that respect. I had not received the email with the COVID questions, but no one said anything when we boarded. The conductor was very clear about the mask policy, including saying that there would be one warning for noncompliance, then you would be put off the train if you still refused to comply. Most people wore masks, although some took them off when the attendant wasn’t around. If you are concerned about germy surfaces, bring your own wipes. There were LOTS of kids in our coach, and kids don’t keep masks on. It is what it is. I would not ride if I was not vaccinated.

We changed conductors in Meridian, and the new conductor came through and made everyone fill out the COVID questions. Called us out individually if we had not done it. It took me a minute, but I managed to find it in the app and submit it. By this time we had all been on the full train for hours, so I’m not sure what good it would do if anyone answered any of the questions affirmatively.

I’ll talk about food (ha) in the dining discussion.

We arrived in NO an hour and 10 minutes late. For a $50 fare, it was fine. The taxi situation in NO is ridiculous, but I don’t guess that is Amtrak’s fault.

If that happens to you on Amtrak, politely decline. If the person persists, immediately inform a crewmember, and also ask to be reseated away from that person, perferably in another car. No one should have to tolerate that sort of behavior aboard Amtrak...

On my trip Sunday, a panhandler found his way into Business Class during boarding on the Pennsylvanian in NY. Some woman gave him some. It was annoying.

On my trip Sunday, a panhandler found his way into Business Class during boarding on the Pennsylvanian in NY. Some woman gave him some. It was annoying.
When I used to ride the LIRR from New York, there were some slick panhandler's that "worked" the train for the few minutes it was boarding passenger's, and would then get off before departure, to "work" another one. Was this the case for you, or was he an actual passenger that rode the train? Just curious....

Are there consequences for failing to complete this pre-trip covid check? Has Amtrak considered them?
Does anyone retain a database of who has and hasn't completed it?

I will say American Airlines has not implemented anything of the sort yet, as per my flight last week.

The taxi situation in NO is ridiculous, but I don’t guess that is Amtrak’s fault.
It has been many years since I was in NO, but as I recall, the NO taxis were the nicest I've ever experienced. I think that most or all the cab drivers owned their own cabs, and took great pride in the upkeep, cleanliness and knowing the best routes. They were all very friendly and helpful to tourists and travelers. (I was there on business attending a computer convention both times, so it was a mix of business with a few days off for being a tourist.)
Has the taxi situation deteriorated, or was there just a lack of cabs at the train station?

When I used to ride the LIRR from New York, there were some slick panhandler's that "worked" the train for the few minutes it was boarding passenger's, and would then get off before departure, to "work" another one. Was this the case for you, or was he an actual passenger that rode the train? Just curious....
It has been many years since I was in NO, but as I recall, the NO taxis were the nicest I've ever experienced. I think that most or all the cab drivers owned their own cabs, and took great pride in the upkeep, cleanliness and knowing the best routes. They were all very friendly and helpful to tourists and travelers. (I was there on business attending a computer convention both times, so it was a mix of business with a few days off for being a tourist.)
Has the taxi situation deteriorated, or was there just a lack of cabs at the train station?
There were few cabs and they were mixed in with Lyft and Uber and a bunch of guys with vans who just seemed to be freelancing. The guy who picked us up was honest, but there was no license, no meter, none of the things I’m used to in a cab. He only took cash. There is potential for some sketchy goings-on. But he got us where we needed to go. It’s a shame, because the area is not really walkable at night.

Frankly, I couldn't understand him very well but I am pretty sure I heard him say he was going to Pittsburgh to see his son. But I didn't understand why he said he needed the money.

Are there consequences for failing to complete this pre-trip covid check? Has Amtrak considered them?
Does anyone retain a database of who has and hasn't completed it?

I will say American Airlines has not implemented anything of the sort yet, as per my flight last week.
I just finished the questionnaire this morning for my trip tomorrow. I saw a checkbox saying something about an employee asking them. I suppose that the worst that would happen is to have to answer the questions on the spot while getting the evil eye from the conductor.

Was it the "have you been sick" questions or the "I know I have to wear a mask" check box?
1650928722089.png
Passengers must not travel if they are experiencing the following symptoms:

Fever or chills
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
New loss of taste or smell
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea

Passengers must not travel if they have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and have not yet met the public health criteria for ending isolation. Passengers must comply with all federal, state and local restrictions on international and domestic travel. Amtrak complies with all applicable city, state and federal ordinances in our stations

Last edited:
These 3 would keep me from riding or get me kicked off the train if they were strictly enforced.
I always carry tissues because of my sinuses and often get sinus drip coughs. And, hey, I'm getting old, so aches and pains are common :D

Cough
Muscle or body aches
Runny nose

I have a real problem with "shortness of breath" after I've ran through the station and down a long platform wearing a mask to catch my train. :)

And what do I do about the "muscle and body aches" I got after a night trying to sleep on the concrete mattress of a Viewliner Sleeper upper berth?

Back