New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope Amtrak leaves the boarding process alone so that a couple dollars handed to a Redhat is all that's need to avoid the ridiculous kindergarten walk and bypass any overbearing gate minders.

I'll chime in and say that I hope it's a non-fee card. I want the AGR points for purchases, but I don't travel on Amtrak frequently enough to want to pay an annual fee for it. OTOH, I sometimes need the "no expiration of points" benefit. I'm sorry they're changing because I've never had a problem with the current Chase AGR Mastercard. :mellow:

I really would not want to have to get a credit report pulled and suffer the FICO hit just to keep my current AGR card. But, the card works for keeping points from expiring. That is the main draw for me.

That may or may not be true in the future........making it more likely that I will be burning my points ASAP.

I really would not want to have to get a credit report pulled and suffer the FICO hit just to keep my current AGR card. But, the card works for keeping points from expiring. That is the main draw for me.

That may or may not be true in the future........making it more likely that I will be burning my points ASAP.
Reportedly, the new program will eliminate the expiration of AGR points with or without the credit card.

Given that Chase has scammed several people I know... and doesn't seem to want to issue me a credit card because my credit is too good.... I'm hoping the deal's with someone else. Just, please, not Bank of America.
Sorry it looks pretty solid that the two new cards being offered next month are going to be from Bank of America. "The name on the sample cards pictured in the internal memo is Chris L Martin. The name on nearly all Bank of America card ads is Chris L Martin. I'd count on the new AGR Mastercard being a BoA product." Pictures of the new cards in the link.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1700885-new-amtrak-guest-rewards-mastercard-arriving-fall-2015-a-4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I really would not want to have to get a credit report pulled and suffer the FICO hit just to keep my current AGR card. But, the card works for keeping points from expiring. That is the main draw for me. That may or may not be true in the future........making it more likely that I will be burning my points ASAP.
Reportedly, the new program will eliminate the expiration of AGR points with or without the credit card.
Being able to retain earned points forever is a perk employed by programs with some of the steepest redemption rules and likely indicates that we'll be saving up points over a much longer period in order to redeem for trips of a similar distance.

At least he's got that 'million dollar smile' going for him. :D

But are you sure he doesn't ride around looking for ferroequinologists to throw under Beech Grove? :huh:

;)

He's probably on August Vacation like all the other VIPs in WAS! Only people who actually do real work have to stay in the Hell Hole that is WAS in August!

I do think overall Joe's done a good job,( he's a Survivor in one if the roughest places on earth) but sone of his decisions and promises to the Mica Managers have been pure BS ( no losses on Food Service) and his lack of oversight on some of the Bean Counters Nickel and Dime cuts are obvious!

If he had to ride in Regular Revenue Cars and experience some of these schemes it probably would be changed post haste!

Beech Grove is much better than the Star to Florida or the CONO between CHI and NOL! YMMV

I really would not want to have to get a credit report pulled and suffer the FICO hit just to keep my current AGR card. But, the card works for keeping points from expiring. That is the main draw for me. That may or may not be true in the future........making it more likely that I will be burning my points ASAP.
Being able to retain earned points forever is a perk employed by programs with some of the steepest redemption rules and likely indicates that we'll be saving up points over a much longer period in order to redeem for trips of a similar distance.
Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not true. You must have activity or they will expire after three years under the new scheme. Unless you have the card.

Q: How do I prevent my points from expiring?

A: We‘ve expanded qualifying account activity to include all point earning or redemption activity (including points earned with partners or promotions). So as long as your Amtrak Guest Rewards account shows point earning or redemption activity within 36 months, your points won‘t expire. Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® cardholders‘ points will not expire as long as your credit card account is open.
http://agr.amtrak.com/rideon/#

Q: How do I prevent my points from expiring?

A: We‘ve expanded qualifying account activity to include all point earning or redemption activity (including points earned with partners or promotions). So as long as your Amtrak Guest Rewards account shows point earning or redemption activity within 36 months, your points won‘t expire. Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® cardholders‘ points will not expire as long as your credit card account is open.
http://agr.amtrak.com/rideon/#
THIS.

Not true. You must have activity or they will expire after three years under the new scheme. Unless you have the card.
Well, if anyone can't afford to purchase something for a few bucks from walmart.com (all activity counts) in a 3 year period, then they probably can't afford to take trip anyway.

Well, if anyone can't afford to purchase something for a few bucks from walmart.com (all activity counts) in a 3 year period, then they probably can't afford to take trip anyway.
And you don't need the AGR credit card to make that Walmart purchase!

Back