New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freedom has the 5% bonuses. Even for someone who doesn't manufacture spending, you could purchase a Visa gift card from your supermarket or drug store when the categories come up and use that to pay bills due in the future, and pocket the 4%. Freedom points, as noted, are indirectly transferable to AGR (for now) and many airline and hotels via a Sapphire Preferred or Ink Bold/Plus card.
I don't enjoy playing "category games", though with that being said VGCs are (at last check) unloadable via a Target Redbird (the one that you used to be able to load with a CC).

Thanks for the comments regarding credit score affects.

Might it make sense, if one wants the Freedom card, to cancel the AGR card this month? Then one could apply for the Freedom card and get whatever bonus is being offered. Or apply for a different credit card (perhaps the new AGR card) and not increase the number of cards held.

Based on Sarah's letter (thanks for posting that, Sarah; my letter has not arrived yet), it sounds like the category game requires registration. In other words, to take advantage of the 5% deal, the card holder must visit the web site and sign up for each offer. Is that true?

For the 5% you do need to sing up once every quarter. The 1 sign up handles everything for the whole quarter. Signing up 4 times a year is not too much trouble. Especially if you log in at least weekly to check your accounts.

Yes you do have to sign up for the categories but it takes about a minute on the website and I get an email from them every 3 months when they open the new category telling me that sign ups are open.

I don't enjoy playing "category games", though with that being said VGCs are (at last check) unloadable via a Target Redbird (the one that you used to be able to load with a CC).
Can you elaborate? Simple market level category selection is easy to understand and requires very little effort while specialized store-specific reloading schemes introduce substantial complexity and risk.

Might it make sense, if one wants the Freedom card, to cancel the AGR card this month? Then one could apply for the Freedom card and get whatever bonus is being offered.
It's rare for the Freedom card to come with a bonus of any consequence. That being said if you're willing to wait, and it would seem everyone who has posted to this thread either already has a Freedom or doesn't need one right away, bonuses do come around every once in a blue moon.

Yes you do have to sign up for the categories but it takes about a minute on the website and I get an email from them every 3 months when they open the new category telling me that sign ups are open.
^ This.

Chase makes managing your credit easy with auto-payment options, email reminders, and quick access to human support. That being said, they have also taken on far more risk than they could ever hope to cover, joined other similarly irresponsible banks in nearly destroying the world's largest economy, and were then rewarded with billions of dollars in government bailouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase is actually actively reducing risk by not issuing credit cards at all to people with five or more inquiries over the past two years, regardless of how good credit they have.

Chase Freedom has a signup bonus if you go through creditkarma.com or creditcards.com, but you can't get another Chase Freedom if you already have that, although many people were grandfathered with multiple Freedoms as a result of type changes and program cancellations.

As far as manufactured spending (which is what Target Redcard reloads are), that is beyond the scope of the thread, although there are many resources on the Internet should you be interested. Redcard/Bluebird/Serve reloads are the most basic level of manufacturing spending, but there are other more complicated schemes out there.

Chase is actually actively reducing risk by not issuing credit cards at all to people with five or more inquiries over the past two years, regardless of how good credit they have.
Personal credit accounts didn't nearly bring Chase (and the rest of the world's largest economy) crashing down. Personal credit accounts didn't need trillions of dollars in bailout money. If you want to calm the nerves of people who bothered to research what actually happened then bring back the original Glass-Steagall. Until the formal dividing line between commercial and investment banking is returned in full force the rest of the changes are little more than window dressing. These cyclical disasters we keep kicking down the road every ten years will eventually overwhelm our supply of duct tape and bubblegum.

Yep, we keep putting our trust in Wall Street Sharks, Huge Banks and Politicians that dance to their tune!

Then, as you said, we have a Hurricane/typhon hit the financial world, and these crooks run to their puppets in Washington for bailouts, promise to never do it again till next time,and then it's Bonuses for all!

If only the evil Federal Government would leave them alone everything would be wonderful!

When will we ever learn???

I received in the mail today informationthat Chase is issuing a VISA Chase Freedom account effective 9/30/2015 as a replacement for the AGR card. This new account will have no affiliation with Amtrak GR program. Unfortunately, I should receive the replacement Chase VISA card in 6 to 8 weeks after 9/30/2015. AGRs will stop accuring on the Chase MasterCard World AGR card on 9/30/2015. In speaking with a Amtrak GR agent few moments ago, information on the new Amtrak GR card should be out on September 12, 2015.

"...as long as you continue to meet our credit criteria" gave me pause.

I've had my AGR card for nearly two years, I use it every day, and I pay it at least twice per month. They raised my limit by $4500 in January, so I figure they must like me and trust me.

I'll be surprised if I'm denied the Visa, especially since my credit is about the same or better than it was when I got my AGR card, but that's assuming the credit criteria for the Visa is the same as it is/was for the AGR card.

Honestly, I'd rather have a Freedom card. Since I don't work part-time at a job with unlimited (unpaid) time off anymore, I can't take anymore long trips, so I'd much rather have cash back and points toward airlines and hotels than AGR points. I'd been meaning to apply for one anyway, so instead of taking the credit hit with an application, I'll just let it run through Chase's interior channels and see if they decide to simply mail one to me after canceling my AGR card.

I suppose I'll find out on September 30. :)

Sarah

You can not transfer Freedom points to airlines or hotels. If you have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink card you can transfer the Freedom points to Sapphire or Ink and then transfer the points from the Sapphire or Ink to airlines or hotels. What you could do is save up the Freedom points and in a few years get the Sapphire Preferred and then transfer them during the 1st year when the $95 annual fee is waived.

Sarah

You can not transfer Freedom points to airlines or hotels. If you have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink card you can transfer the Freedom points to Sapphire or Ink and then transfer the points from the Sapphire or Ink to airlines or hotels. What you could do is save up the Freedom points and in a few years get the Sapphire Preferred and then transfer them during the 1st year when the $95 annual fee is waived.
Rats. I must have misinterpreted something I read somewhere.

The cash back is nice, though. :)

/always an optimist

This is from AGR Insider.

"If you have an eligible Chase Card with Ultimate Rewards, you can continue to transfer points to Amtrak Guest Rewards until further notice."

The only cards that are eligible are Sapphire Preferred, and the Ink business cards.

I agree Sarah, you might want to try for the Sapphire preferred Card even with an Annual Fee its a very useful Card!

I'm not a Chase Financial analyst, just a retired Government employee. but I had no trouble getting and using 2 Chase Cards. ( I also have a Credit Union Visa I seldom use since the AGR MC came around)

I don't travel enough anymore to need an Annual Fee Card, but it sounds like you probably have good Credit so maybe give Chase a call and see about your options!

I've used a Freedom Card since retirement ( 6 years)and its OK. Ill miss the AGR MC!!

I will see what BOA offers, but I'll decline a second Freedom Card!

I have paid 2 $95 fees for a total of $190 but I have saved almost $300 by not paying the 3% International fee most cards have for International purchases. Sapphire Preferred has 0% international fee.

If you have a Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold/Plus, and Freedom you can funnel them into the same CUR account. If both you and a spouse have these cards in your own names all of those points can also be combined. Once all of those points are combined they can be transferred 1:1 with eleven current partners.

Example Earning Rates...

Airlines @ 2x (CSP)

Amazon Purchases @ 5x (CIB)

Bed Bath & Beyond @ 5x (CFC)

Buses @ 2x (CSP)

Cable Television @ 5x (CIB)

Campgrounds @ 2x (CSP)

Car Rentals @ 2x (CSP)

Cellular Phone @ 5x (CIB)

Cruise Lines @ 2x (CSP)

Discount Travel @ 2x (CSP)

Ferries @ 2x (CSP)

Garages @ 2x (CSP)

Gasoline 2x-5x (CIB & CFC)

Grocery Stores @ 5x (CFC)

Hotels or Motels @ 2x (CSP)

Internet Service @ 5x (CIB)

Kohls @ 5x (CIB)

Landline Phone @ 5x (CIB)

Limousines @ 2x (CSP)

Marriott @ 5x (CIB)

Movie Theaters @ 5x (CFC)

Office Supplies @ 5x (CIB)

Overstock.com @ 5x (CFC)

Parking Lots @ 2x (CSP)

Passenger Trains @ 2x (CSP)

Satellite Television @ 5x (CIB)

Southwest Airlines @5x (CIB)

Starbucks @ 5x (CFC)

Stationary Stores @ 5x (CIB)

Taxis @ 2x (CSP)

Timeshares @ 2x (CSP)

Toll Bridges @ 2x (CSP)

Tollways @ 2x (CSP)

Travel Agents @ 2x (CSP)

Wireless Data @ 5x (CIB)

Transfer Partners...

United Airlines

Southwest Airlines

British Airways

Korean Air

Singapore Airlines

Virgin Atlantic

Hyatt Hotels

Marriott Hotels

Ritz-Carlton Hotels

InterContinental Hotels

Amtrak

Sarah, people have signed up for Sapphire Preferred and gotten the fee waived after the first year. You can always cancel if you don't get the waiver and reapply 24 months after you first got the bonus, and get the bonus again (provided the card is still available).

Sarah, people have signed up for Sapphire Preferred and gotten the fee waived after the first year. You can always cancel if you don't get the waiver and reapply 24 months after you first got the bonus, and get the bonus again (provided the card is still available).
Really? I did some research on this before I got the card and what I read online said that Chase almost never waives it on this card. I actually don't recall anyone saying they got it waived. Perhaps this has changed in the past two years but it is not something I would count on.

If someone has gotten it waived, please share your technique.

Really? I did some research on this before I got the card and what I read online said that Chase almost never waives it on this card. I actually don't recall anyone saying they got it waived. Perhaps this has changed in the past two years but it is not something I would count on.

There isn't any special technique required, Chase's public offering for CSP normally includes a $0 first year annual fee ($95 thereafter). My wife's and my CSPs were both fee-free for the first year. There have been a couple of links in the past with the first year fee not waived but those were the exception, not the norm - and IIRC at the time other links without the annual fee were available. The current CSP offer on the Chase credit card website (40K UR) has no first-year annual fee.

There isn't any special technique required, Chase's public offering for CSP normally includes a $0 first year annual fee ($95 thereafter). My wife's and my CSPs were both fee-free for the first year. There have been a couple of links in the past with the first year fee not waived but those were the exception, not the norm - and IIRC at the time other links without the annual fee were available. The current CSP offer on the Chase credit card website (40K UR) has no first-year annual fee.
We were actually speaking of the fee AFTER the first year, not for the first year.

Just received a letter stating that my card coverts to a Freedom card September 30th. Lame. Already have the Freedom cards and I haven't used it since the sign up bonus. I'll probably go ahead and cancel both Freedom cards after I get a hold of the new Amtrak card.

Hopefully the new bank is BoA. They were my first credit card, and the oldest account I have, so getting a decent limit should be easy.
I got the same letter today.

There doesn't seem to be a way to opt-out of the Visa replacement card.

I too already have a Freedom Card, that I got under similar circumstances. Now, I will have two, and I never wanted either.

From what I found out, the conversation of a MasterCard to a Visa, is because of a substantial kick-back being made to banks for "forcing" customer to switch from any MasterCard to a Visa logo'ed card.

BTW, I might want the new AGR linked card, not some Freedom card.

Ditto on the Chase letter for me!

I too have a Chase Freedom Card, its a MC that I don't use! I'd already been notified it would be changed to a VISA with Chip by Fall!

I sure wish we'd hear from BOA and AGR about the Secret New Cards, its Sept. 3 and the AGR MC is obsolete on Sept. 30 for AGR Points and things Amtrak the way I read the Letter???

For those of us going to the Gathering guess it will be use Cash or another Card or else were SOL??!!!

AGR and Amtrak screwed the pooch on this and its not Anthony's fault!!

Think I might look @ Saphire Prefered if they waive the Annual Fee,my Credit is Good, I just don't have any Cash! LOL

Just got my notice from Chase stating relationship between them and Amtrak ends Sept 30. No information on anything related to awards program.
Chase will say nothing about AGR. The AGR credit card is an optional benefit of the Amtrak rewards program. Participation in the AGR program is possible without having or using a credit card. Information about the new awards program will (and has already) come from Amtrak

Back