New Amtrak Moynihan train hall at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting Review on Yahoo ( its behindxa Paywall)from " The Points Guy" about the Food and Beverages served in the New Lounge @ NYP.

To summarize the Review:

The reviewer was booked in Acela FC from NYP-WAS, so could have eaten on the Train but wanted to try the offerings in the Stunning New Lounge!

They gave the Coffee and the various Coffee drinks High Mark's ( "Better than Starbucks!"l) and liked the fact that the Food and Drinks were served by Staff Cafeteria Style.

The various juices,softdrinks and waters were good,standard fare.

When it came to the food, the Mark's went down!

The first order was for a Chicken Wrap, which was packaged and served Cold, No Hot items were available on this day, as Amtrak has said they would be.

It was bland and the pita bread was tough and dry.The Chicken had way too much Sodium also.

They then tried a Blueberry muffin, it was Small, stale and a Sugar Bomb, same as the ones served currently in the Diners on the LD Trains.

So it was ditched into the trash after one bite and they tried a Slice of Iced Lemon Cake, which was said to be surprisingly good.

In conclusion, the plan should be to either eat somewhere outside the Station before arrival, bring takeout to the Lounge ( currently allowed) or if riding Acela FC, eat on the Train as it is much better!

I havent gotten to visit the Lounge yet, hope to be able to by this Summer, but several AUers are planning trips to NYP to check it out, so look forward to their reports!

According to this, the hours are 5AM to 11:59 PM. What happens for the Palmetto and NER trains 66/67? The Palmetto arrives just before closing and 66/67 arrive between 12 AM and 5. Is the station staffed for it? Do they get checked bags? Or do they have to use the old station?

According to this, the hours are 5AM to 11:59 PM. What happens for the Palmetto and NER trains 66/67? The Palmetto arrives just before closing and 66/67 arrive between 12 AM and 5. Is the station staffed for it? Do they get checked bags? Or do they have to use the old station?
When Moyninah Hall is closed overnight, access to the platforms and station services are both provided from the old Penn Station area.

When Moyninah Hall is closed overnight, access to the platforms and station services are both provided from the old Penn Station area.
Bleah. This leads to the next question: what track do those two trains come through on? Some of the tracks have much more convenient elevators than others, in the old Penn Station. Some of them were really awful for people with disabilities, others not so bad.

Points Guy is oddly picky about odd points, I enjoy his writings but don't put much stock in them.
I have been passing the lockdown time watching a lot of travel channels on youtube. Some train journeys, some flights, etc. I think in order to "grab viewers attention" (and so earn more cash from youtube...) they often put negative or picky comments to make their channel seem to have "revealed" some valuable information. One guy, Josh Cahill, almost 99% of the time launches into "it's my worst flight ever" etc, etc.
I can't get over these privelleged people who swan around in upper class cabins, and pretend they are providing anything other than light entertainment. Me? Yes, of course I am jealous!! :D

I posted this in another post, but yesterday, when I boarded the Crescent, it seemed that most of the coach passengers were coming from the old Penn Station. That said, the ticketed passenger waiting area in Moynihan seemed pretty full.

Does Moynihan have working water fountains outside the Metropolitan Lounge? Difficult to find places to refill a water bottle without buying plastic.

Does Moynihan have working water fountains outside the Metropolitan Lounge? Difficult to find places to refill a water bottle without buying plastic.
I didn't see any while I was @ Moynihan in early May, but I didn't go into the Amtrak Waiting Area, only the Metro Lounge where Bottled Water was all that was available .( but you could fill your bottle in the Restroom from the Sinks)

Back