New Amtrak Moynihan train hall at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The City of Austin has purchased 4 Motel/ Hotels for Homeless people and has been able to Rent Long Stay Rooms to house the ever increasing Homeless which includes many Families who have lost their jobs during the Pandemic.( Austin is heavily dependent on Service Industries that depend on Visitors that arent coming )

Our Food Bank has seen a tripling of the amount of Food they distribute weekly and a ten fold increase in eviction lawsuits filed even though they are once again temporarily stayed during the current surge of the COVID scurge!

Are we our brothers keeper? Most people supposedly think so, but some politicians and their wealthy owners dont seem to feel this way and for sure dont act that way!🤔😥

And those politicians seem to live in a dream land of immense mansions and golf courses to go into the horizon. For those of us who care about the wellbeing of each individual... and the wellbeing of the environment, there are service organizations we can participant in and/or join.

The Habitat for Humanity organization does more than just build homes... it works with city planners and zoning codes to allow for affordable housing for seniors and those down on their luck.

As a member of the interfaith council in this small town, sponsored by our local Habit for Humanity, we come together with ideas and actions that bring hope for the homeless and hope for the environment. 🙏

about-us-scaled.jpg

And I would add to that list, 1] better standards for Amtrak Employees, 2] better standards for Amtrak customers, 3] new rolling stock with ventilation systems that work and windows that open a crack for fresh air in roomettes and bedrooms, and 4] the promise of clean, cleaner, cleanest restrooms for all to use. :rolleyes:
Gonna be a long wait.

I don't think much can be done about the physical layout of NYP, but having passed through it 20 or 30 times, I still find it incredible confusing.

The lighting, signage, passageways and amenities (bathrooms, etc.) could be drastically improved. Pretty much stuck with the low ceilings and confusing multi-level layout unless they tear down MSG. A spot of paint and more comfortable waiting areas (especially for the 66/67) would improve things a lot.
One thing that building the MSG complex required, was a lot of added support columns that had to go down and thru the already narrow platforms. Believe me, you didn't know just how narrow those platforms can be, until you were operating one of those ancient electric Yale baggage trucks along them, especially squeezing between the stairway or elevator enclosures, and the platform edge...o_O:oops:

If the Amtrak supervisors and managers would do what they're supposed to do--ensure good service by, among other things, monitoring employees--we wouldn't need politicians to micro manage.

But 'if' doesn't answer the question or solve the problem. Important to note the competence level and optimistic outlook of Amtrak administrators, and adequate funding to support good service.

One thing that building the MSG complex required, was a lot of added support columns that had to go down and thru the already narrow platforms. Believe me, you didn't know just how narrow those platforms can be, until you were operating one of those ancient electric Yale baggage trucks along them, especially squeezing between the stairway or elevator enclosures, and the platform edge...o_O:oops:
There is an interesting plan to narrow the columns. Apparently the structural steel part of the support columns, which provides the actual support, is smaller than the concrete wrapping, so the plan is to remove most of the concrete wrapping on the columns.

I am really suspicious that this "closed from 1 AM to 5AM" thing will, in the end, not actually apply to the customers on #66/67. These trains take *checked baggage*. The entire baggage checking operation is being relocated to Moynihan. Does Amtrak want to maintain two checked baggage windows, and two checked baggage pickup operations, and so on and so forth?

I would not be surprised if it ended up being "open only for passengers on #66/67".

There are a surprising number of places which are officially closed from 1 AM to 5 AM so that they can kick "unwanted" people out, but which are not actually properly closed: they don't lock the doors. I am highly suspicious that this is what will happen.

Lots of people have posted videos of the new train hall with more being posted on a constant basis, I will say the station is definitely better than it was but Grand Central is much nicer. Apparently some parts of the building still seem to be under construction as well as the parts by the tracks as well as the old section. Nothing really impressive nor do I plan to take any trips to see the new train hall in the near future, Amtrak riders definitely benefit with the new lounge and easier access to the tracks especially if they come in from the LIRR or the A C E subway lines. The NJ Transit side should benefit with more waiting space rather than just being confined to the NJ Transit section.

I am really suspicious that this "closed from 1 AM to 5AM" thing will, in the end, not actually apply to the customers on #66/67. These trains take *checked baggage*. The entire baggage checking operation is being relocated to Moynihan. Does Amtrak want to maintain two checked baggage windows, and two checked baggage pickup operations, and so on and so forth?

I would not be surprised if it ended up being "open only for passengers on #66/67".

There are a surprising number of places which are officially closed from 1 AM to 5 AM so that they can kick "unwanted" people out, but which are not actually properly closed: they don't lock the doors. I am highly suspicious that this is what will happen.
I read somewhere that the old baggage counter will be used between 1-5 and red caps will also be available over there..

Pre COVID, we traveled the Silvers at least twice yearly. We’re snowbirds in reverse. Fl is our home.
I am understanding that the Silvers will be leaving from the new station. But where do we enter? 8th Ave or 9th Ave.? Or both? Not those huge stairs, I hope.

As folks who often traveled to Manhattan around the holidays and to regularly visit our son who live in Chelsea we use NJT (We live in NJ) and won't get to use Moynihan Station. Its good that Amtrak customers will have and it was badly needed. As soon as this pandemic panic is over; with select status we can check it out by using our guest passes for the new metro lounge.

Pre COVID, we traveled the Silvers at least twice yearly. We’re snowbirds in reverse. Fl is our home.
I am understanding that the Silvers will be leaving from the new station. But where do we enter? 8th Ave or 9th Ave.? Or both? Not those huge stairs, I hope.
8th Ave., opposite Penn Station. On both corners of 8th Ave., there are barrier-free entrances under big signs, "To Trains".
1609781369777.png

Last edited:
Thank you. When you’re used to one place, getting used to a new place can be a little scary. I’ve lived in Brooklyn for many decades and worked in Manhattan for a few decades. I always brag the NYC and Brooklyn are so easy to get around with public transportation. Now I have nightmares of getting lost in NYC/Brooklyn and trying to find public transportation back home. Started when we sold our home.

Now I have nightmares of getting lost in NYC/Brooklyn and trying to find public transportation back home. Started when we sold our home.
That's why it's foolish to sell your home. Don't you know that most accidents occur withing 50 miles of home? Our friends said they protect themselves by living across the country from their home so they don't have to worry about accidents or getting lost. Their home is in the desert of Arizona and they live in one of the worst sections of Chicago. They said they feel so safe that way! :)

Saw a video of some idiot obsess on Youtube about the payphones in Penn Station and checking them for dialtones. The new concourse appears to be devoid of payphones and has wifi installed. There should be a DAS system for wireless in the new Moynihan train hall which should work with sub mm wave band 5G and all the other bands that are used depending on your wireless provider. The older section of Penn Station other than the subway stations I would presume will also get their wireless communications upgraded and remaining payphones will get removed gradually during upgrades. Transit Wireless handled the upgrades at subway stations including the lines by Penn Station.

Last edited:
Penn Station and Moynihan train hall share the same tracks. It is not a separate station. You can use Amtrak on either section. There is no MTH Station code. All trains will be NYP.

I don't care how many signs...(counted about a dozen from the photos?'), shouting it as "Moynihan Train Hall" are there....I will still refer to the whole complex as Penn Station....:)

Back