New Amtrak Moynihan train hall at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot of corruption inside the government process leading to higher costs and expenses. Railroads used to be private entities which the government assumed control of. I am in favor of free marker capitalism for railroads which we had before Amtrak took it over.
Like America's health care industry? A fine example of a public service being efficiently provided by customer-focused free-market organizations at reasonable cost with no corruption. ;)

There is a lot of corruption inside the government process leading to higher costs and expenses. Railroads used to be private entities which the government assumed control of. I am in favor of free marker capitalism for railroads which we had before Amtrak took it over.
If Amtrak, and state agencies had not taken over passenger trains from private railroads, there would no longer be any passenger trains...is that what you want?

As for not using government provided services which you pay for thru taxes...that is the price of living in a civilized society.
I have no children, but do not at all mind paying school taxes, among other taxes, that I don't directly benefit from...

And private enterprise is somehow immune to corruption? :rolleyes:

And when exactly was this mythical time when "free market capitalism" existed without any governmental structure to prop it up? Certainly NEVER where railroads are concerned.

When a government employee takes a payoff or a favor from someone or some company, why is that talked about as government corruption when one side of the act is private enterprise? Railroads got out of the passenger business because they didn't make money, but the need for the service was still there. Amtrak took over because private enterprise was failing in that sector and if they didn't the service would disappear.

My own belief is that the railroads should be privatized and private equity should dictate how funds are spent. Government control and increasing taxation is the wrong approach. I am all for fare increases, and more ways to monetize the system. Plenty of people now pay taxes which go into these projects which they do not use.
Plenty of people pay taxes for other things which they do not use or are ineligible to use. We only oppose taxes if WE don't use or want what they pay for. Doesn't matter if it is defense, roads, airports, trains, social services, etc.

There's no corruption in private business? Wow, that's wonderful news! /sarcasm

Plenty of people pay taxes for other things which they do not use or are ineligible to use. We only oppose taxes if WE don't use or want what they pay for. Doesn't matter if it is defense, roads, airports, trains, social services, etc.

I have never been to Yellowstone National Park but am fine if my taxes support it. I have never driven on I-5, but undoubtedly my tax dollars help build it, maintain it and improve it. There are countless examples of this.

Looks like Penn Station area will be under construction for years to come with workers all around, ie still in Moynihan train hall, west end concourse and other parts of Penn Station inside and out. Homeless are around as well as other undesirables who are hurting society, many with prior criminal histories.

.... Homeless are around as well as other undesirables who are hurting society, many with prior criminal histories.

"Homeless" is not equivalent to "other undesirables," which in any case is both mean-spirited and completely subjective.

"who are hurting society" is another mean-spirited and completely subjective opinion.

"many with prior criminal histories" Since you present this without any evidence whatsoever, should I assume you're just making this up to fit your malign world view?

In a country where the minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation in decades, during which time wealth has hugely concentrated at the top and options for decent work dwindled, OF COURSE you're going to see evidence of dire poverty in and around public places like Penn Station. The chief "undesirable" in play here is an economy that discards so many of us.

Last edited:
Looks like Penn Station area will be under construction for years to come with workers all around, ie still in Moynihan train hall, west end concourse and other parts of Penn Station inside and out. Homeless are around as well as other undesirables who are hurting society, many with prior criminal histories.

My apologies if I missed this in another post but have you introduced yourself at all? Do you live in New York? Do you frequently ride Amtrak?

The only posts I’ve seen from you are quite negative toward train stations and rail development so I’m just trying to understand where you are coming from and why you are here.

Was able to visit the train hall today as I am out of Covid isolation. Very nice indeed. Sure it’s not old Penn Station or Grand Central but it’s quite an improvement and the lounge is light years better than the old one and I practically had the place to myself and it looks like there will be some food and beverage options once NYC reopens indoor dining. It does seem so far very few are actually using the train hall (just about everyone I saw in there seemed to be just exploring and taking photos - few actual rail passengers) and the vast majority of passengers are still using the NJT/Amtrak concourse across the street. May take time for that to change (if it ever does). One challenge the train hall will have in getting people to use it is getting retail and food venues open - which seems doubtful in the next few months with Covid. There is not a single one yet open - which makes the concourses across the street more attractive from an amenities perspective. But overtime when there’s more to offer over there I think they’ll attract more passengers which will allow spreading people out between two different options I guess.

It Would be amazing if they could get a legit coffee shop in there.

NY pizza supreme is right across the street, certainly one of the best NY pizza shops.
I think eventually there’s supposed to be a Starbucks right there on the lower level and then a food hall somewhere and retail on the mezzanine. And of course as I said the lounge will eventually have some sort of f&b. Will find out what it is.

One thing I did find out today that I could not tell from photos I had seen is that you can access the Farley Post Office from the mezzanine level of the train hall. The historic beaux-arts post office lobby has some nice architecture but unfortunately at the moment is in the middle of a major rehab - scaffolding everywhere so there isn't much to see in there.

One thing I did find out today that I could not tell from photos I had seen is that you can access the Farley Post Office from the mezzanine level of the train hall. The historic beaux-arts post office lobby has some nice architecture but unfortunately at the moment is in the middle of a major rehab - scaffolding everywhere so there isn't much to see in there.

Not sure what work they are doing. Post office was in good shape before the scaffolding was put in and the ceiling was impressive. Perhaps they are doing some a/c, or electrical or communications modernization or passageway reconfiguration.

That's interesting...
When I worked at Penn Station, I had a P O Box there. It was more convenient for me, than having one at my then home P O in Queens. Simply came up the subway exit closest to it to get my mail. Now, it would be even more convenient. Are there accesses from both 31st, and 33rd Street sides?

That's interesting...
When I worked at Penn Station, I had a P O Box there. It was more convenient for me, than having one at my then home P O in Queens. Simply came up the subway exit closest to it to get my mail. Now, it would be even more convenient. Are there accesses from both 31st, and 33rd Street sides?

Yes side entrances from both streets and also a large entrance on 9th Ave. on 8th Ave you can either use the two corner entrances that they opened up previously for the west end concourse or you can enter the post office up the stairs and there’s a corridor on the north side that leads to the train hall mezzanine.

Not sure what work they are doing. Post office was in good shape before the scaffolding was put in and the ceiling was impressive. Perhaps they are doing some a/c, or electrical or communications modernization or passageway reconfiguration.
They might be doing ceiling restoration the entire ceiling was covered.

Not necessarily. They could be protecting the ceiling from damage. We will see when the work is finished. Going through the old section of Penn is now more depressing due to the steel beams placed on the already narrow ceiling with poor lighting. Work is still ongoing there. Moynihan station is the start. East side access will move lots of traffic out of Penn station once its complete as well.

My apologies if I missed this in another post but have you introduced yourself at all? Do you live in New York? Do you frequently ride Amtrak?

The only posts I’ve seen from you are quite negative toward train stations and rail development so I’m just trying to understand where you are coming from and why you are here.
@adamj023
Okay so you're just going to continue being classist and needlessly and rudely judgemental without an explanation and comment on the new hall like you haven't said very insulting things several times on this site? Cool; sounds like you're just a jerk. When someone calls you on your wild claims about how more privatization will somehow make the U.S. rail system better or how your insulting remarks about homelessness and crime are just plain incorrect, if you really believed in what you said, maybe you should respond and stand by your words instead of cowering and not saying anything about it until you make another ridiculous comment.

Don't know if everyone has seen this interesting New Yorker piece about the Moynihan Hall... You might have to be a New Yorker subscriber, but non-subscribers can usually read 3 articles for free each month.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-moynihan-train-halls-glorious-arrival
Uninteresting side-note: during the course of my radio news career, I actually met D. P. Moynihan ~1989. It was really tough to get a usable sound-bite from him, as he spoke in paragraphs and chapters...

Yes side entrances from both streets and also a large entrance on 9th Ave. on 8th Ave you can either use the two corner entrances that they opened up previously for the west end concourse or you can enter the post office up the stairs and there’s a corridor on the north side that leads to the train hall mezzanine.
OK...so access from inside the post office directly to the train hall is on the 33rd Street side...

I've yet to see any government corruption that failed to include a private business or citizen as the beneficiary. We just suffered through four years of The Swamp Family Robinson and you're still singing this old tune?

Homeless are around as well as other undesirables who are hurting society, many with prior criminal histories.
Hard to imagine something less desirable than a broken record with an agenda.

Back