New Amtrak President on the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see him in the Diner and mixing with passengers and crew instead of cruising along in Beech Grove with his entourage like Boardman did.

Did he actually use a Viewliner Room,I missed whether or not the Amtrak Executive Cars were in the consist of the Crescent?

Well if he wasn't staying in a viewliner I hoped he paid for his dinner just like the rest of none sleeper class :giggle:

Did he actually use a Viewliner Room,I missed whether or not the Amtrak Executive Cars were in the consist of the Crescent?

Hoping this is a good sign of things to come. The more I see and hear about Mr. Moorman the more I like him.

As one of a handful on this board that have met him in person and know him. He is a very personable person to get to know. Very friendly, nice, and all around an effective leader. He can also be fun as it was last time I was working with him. My orders were not to talk to the vip (him) and he told me to not worry about that. And to sit and joke around with him some. I love him great guy.

Or the train was west of Atlanta. There was limited traffic in the diner during the Atlanta-New Orleans part of the round trip I did on the Crescent a month ago.

If I had to caption that photo it would be Wick saying "I wasn't even a glimmer in my parents eye when this diner was built."

I've yet to see anything concrete about what he thinks are the biggest problems or how he intends to solve them. Or where he sees options for growth and improvement. Which is fine, he only just started after all, but that still doesn't explain all of the sudden confidence and premature praise being shown toward him. Did Boardman receive this same level of fawning before fully taking the reins and actually accomplishing anything? Presumably this is some sort of emotional honeymoon period that we'll hopefully snap out of at some point.

I've yet to see anything concrete about what he thinks are the biggest problems or how he intends to solve them. Or where he sees options for growth and improvement. Which is fine, he only just started after all, but that still doesn't explain all of the sudden confidence and premature praise being shown toward him. Did Boardman receive this same level of fawning before fully taking the reins and actually accomplishing anything? Presumably this is some sort of emotional honeymoon period that we'll hopefully snap out of at some point.
The man has barely been on the job ! Cut him some slack. Good leaders make measured decisions based up gathering facts.

The man has barely been on the job ! Cut him some slack. Good leaders make measured decisions based up gathering facts.
I already acknowledged that he only just started the job. See the portion I went back and highlighted above just for you. Nor am I expecting him to have done anything yet. I'm simply confused and confounded by AU's premature fawning over him. This includes your blindly defensive and dismissive post above.

There is much fawning going on about Moorman. You should see how the pages of Trains Mag is dripping with fawn foam of late. I am just hoping for the best. No fawning from here. I am in a very "show me" state. I don't think much of one random ride and presence in a Diner. I am happy to be patient and come to a conclusion after a year or so.

I already acknowledged that he only just started the job. See the portion I went back and highlighted above just for you. Nor am I expecting him to have done anything yet. I'm simply confused and confounded by AU's premature fawning over him. This includes your blindly defensive and dismissive post above.

What's the confusion? It's called hope. He could turn out to the worst CEO yet, but until then, people have high hopes since this IS a former railroader of the year that ran a successful "for profit" railroad. There is hope since an actual railroader with deep knowledge of operations is taking the helm instead of a handpicked, politically connected bureaucrat that is merely passing through while padding a resume.

There is confidence because it is widely known that this man CAN and HAS run an actual railroad.

Time will tell if he can run a PASSENGER railroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Boardman was met with caution and suspicion (though some optimism).

I think it's the similarity of Moorman's background to Claytor's background, since so many Amtrak fans love Claytor.

I do figure a guy who has his own *private railcar* might just *possibly* understand that better food will attract more customers.

I suspect the railfan 'fawning' is because of the man's credentials he brings to the job. He started at the ground level in NS engineering department working in the field then steadily progressed through various departments in positions of increased responsibilities. He took time out to get a Harvard MBA before rejoining NS. Also he is a long time supporter of passenger trains. I saw him at the 'Streamliners at Spencer' event at the NC Transportation museum. It was pure joy on his face when he saw the first generation diesels arrayed around the turntable. He reminisced about seeing the E units on the Southern when he was growing up in MS. And of course his support helped give 611 a third life and allowed it to roam the system.

Amtrak is very fortunate to have a leader who knows the industry at all levels, communicates well, and has respect from labor, management, rail fan groups, and can tell congress what they need to hear without alienating them. In addition, he ran a pretty successful railroad.

He may well be facing an impossible task to correct all Amtrak's problems but I can't think of someone better qualified.

I think the optimism involving Moorman includes the fact that he ran a "Big 7" railroad that isn't afraid to be a railroad and celebrates its heritage, including the heritage locomotives and hosting steam excursions. He's not afraid of passenger trains -- the man even has his own private car, for Pete's sake. A former 20th Century Limited car for good measure. So we're looking forward with optimism. He's got a lot of challenges. He probably won't be able to do everything that the residents of this forum want him to do, but he'll make a good effort. Now if the president of CSX was named to the post, railfans would be up in arms, running around and screaming and seeing nothing but gloom and doom.

My previous comment about "secret" trips means that such trips, with Moorman riding in a sleeper or coach and checking out every facet of the trip are indeed impossible. Just by sitting in the diner, someone took his picture and put it out on the internet. There's nothing "secret" about anything today.

What's the confusion? It's called hope.
Nobody is born a cynic. I too had high hopes back when a newly elected President and Vice President expressed strong and sustained support for improved passenger rail nationwide. Then I watched our representatives, our senators, and several governors decide to do everything they could to undermine and ridicule passenger rail at nearly every turn over the next eight years. Even if our congress critters happen to like this guy there is little if any chance they're going to stick their neck out and risk defeat to a zero-compromise primary challenger on Amtrak's behalf.

In any case let's take a look at a few of the examples given for why people are hopeful...

1. He ran a freight railroad. Which could be a blessing or a curse. Maybe he's here to play hardball with his former employer and score some concessions on Amtrak's behalf. Or maybe he's here to pull some strings and promote some freight friendly investments while softening Amtrak's impact to freight operations. Both paths seem equally plausible to me.

2. He ran a for profit business. Which could mean he'll focus on bean counting and budget watching as he works to remove anything that doesn't make a profit and replace it with something else. Or nothing at all if there is no profit to be made. Or it might mean he'll keep things the same and simply push to raise fares to what it would actually cost to keep Amtrak in the black as-is. Not sure which of those paths is an upgrade over what we have now.

3. He owns a private rail car. Which could possibly mean he'll focus on improving options and services for Private Varnish and other custom service customers. Or it might mean he'll always have a place to avoid the deteriorating services and amenities the rest of us are stuck with. I guess I could keep going but I presume you see my point by now.

Most of these traits seem mixed or neutral at first glance. Or at least to me they do. Only time will tell how it plays out.

I view Wick Moorman's appointment as Amtrak CEO as a very positive move. His entire career was spent in railroading, and he took the job for a $1 yr.salary. This shows his love of railroading and a desire to make things better. I doubt that he will become a political hack scared of keeping his government job and the big pension that goes with it. The "other guys" solution was to capitulate to the Conservatives by raising the fares while cutting amenities. If Moorman is riding the train and talking with the crew, he will get a firsthand look at the real world. I hope that he rides the Cardinal to see how broken down the cars are. The bandaid fixes aren't doing the trick, the sleeper fares have gone through the roof, and we have not seen a new or restored route in years. Good luck Wick, you've got your work cut out for you. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back