New Amtrak Proposed Routes Map has Dropped

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone keeps talking about Chicago to Atlanta and Florida, but lets be honest here. Who would actually use that route?

LAS-LA market is covered by Brightline, so is the MIA-MCO market. Texas Central will have DAL-HOU market covered, so what is Amtrak going to do in those markets?

LAS-LA market is covered by Brightline, so is the MIA-MCO market. Texas Central will have DAL-HOU market covered, so what is Amtrak going to do in those markets?
I believe the DAL-HOU route on the map actually is the Texas Central Railroad, since Amtrak entered a partnership with them.

The two new lines in Pennsylvania are interesting. There has been a lot of talk lately about having SEPTA go back to Reading; issue is NS. However, if Amtrak got involved and NS was "forced" to cooperate, maybe things would be more streamlined.

Overall, this looks like a solid map. The only problem I have with it is why does Denver to Cheyenne get a new route but not Grand Rapids to Detroit?

Overall, this looks like a solid map. The only problem I have with it is why does Denver to Cheyenne get a new route but not Grand Rapids to Detroit?
Because we already have a detailed study underway and one of the two Class I's is willing to consider the idea and the other is willing to attend meetings. As noted above, most of the regional routes they proposed have current studies. Note that there could still be other state-sponsored services. The SWC might also be rerouted via Pueblo or one of the Front Range trains might be extended to La Junta. I don't see this as being the last word.

but not Grand Rapids to Detroit?

I said earlier that I'm disappointed in this. For some reason, Amtrak doesn't want that to happen. I find it incredibly bizarre that the only way to get from point A to point B without doing a Thruway bus is to go through Chicago.

Yeah. No. Those people would rather fly.
If you take that attitude, why bother with LD service at all?

I would love to be able to get from Orlando to the west coast of USA with just one connection. That could also happen by unsuspending service from Orlando to NOL.

But I don't understand "new" service between Jacksonville-Orlando-Tampa-Miami. Brightline should be in Tampa by the end of the decade. Then the only market for Amtrak would be passengers to/from Jacksonville.

If Brightline fails, then Amtrak can step in. Otherwise, why spend money duplicating service when that money could be better spent adding non-existing service?

This is something I've been wanting Amtrak to do for a long time. They've been in survival mode for so long that they just keep the status quo at running the bare minimum, having the attitude of we can ever expand until the potholes are filled first. So even if no funding came, its good to have a plan or wish list in place, and they can figure out what the most important steps are to implement and which corridors should come first. Maybe Congress will help. Years from now, maybe they won't.

I too have a wish list of lines I'd like to see. I'm not too worried if one isn't on this map. Every rail advocate in the country has their wish list too. They can be added if they can figure out the best way to implement.

I think the most important thing is to get permanent federal funding for Amtrak with ways that they and states can expand service. That way when we get a less rail friendly law makers in office in the future, it'll be harder to yank it. Then maybe some things on this map might actually come true.

But I don't understand "new" service between Jacksonville-Orlando-Tampa-Miami. Brightline should be in Tampa by the end of the decade. Then the only market for Amtrak would be passengers to/from Jacksonville.

If Brightline fails, then Amtrak can step in. Otherwise, why spend money duplicating service when that money could be better spent adding non-existing service?

Brightline and Amtrak won’t be the same routes. I think they would serve different markets and could co-exist.

My reading of the map is that the only added service is in in the state-supported service category (i.e. the routes of <750 miles, where the states pay virtually all of the cost). The light blue lines are on routes where such service does not exist today and the yellow is where such service already exists and Amtrak hopes the states will pay for additional trains. Amtrak is offering "introductory offers" with reduced charges for the first 3 years service.

Brightline and Amtrak won’t be the same routes. I think they would serve different markets and could co-exist.

Correct. I think Brightline is going to skip Lakeland. Wouldn't be shocked if Amtrak takes over Sun Rail and finds a way to extend it to Tampa.

I think there's was a plan in place as well like 2040's to have the line go from Tampa South to Naples. As well as an line from Orlando to Ocala via The Villages.

Why do people take the train for any other route then?
Because taking the train is better than flying for under 400 miles. You boomers need to understand that that long distance rail doesn't fit modern America's travel needs and that multiple regional routes would be a much better use of resources.

Because taking the train is better than flying for under 400 miles. You boomers need to understand that that long distance rail doesn't fit modern America's travel needs and that multiple regional routes would be a much better use of resources.
Many of the LD trains are pretty full. In fact the Texas eagle has seen being sold out before. People do travel LD by train, there is a market for it.

I also think there should probably be a route between Louisville and Nashville. However, the only existing trackage between those two cities isn't very straight or direct, so that route would probably be unnecessarily long and slow.

Hmmm. I'm not seeing Virginia's Richmond to Charlottesville route that our Governor Northam has been crowing about recently.

Not impressed. Mostly a bunch of state-supported corridor trains. There is no restoration of long-distance trains like the Desert Wind or Pioneer. No daily Cardinal or Sunset. No Crescent extension to Dallas. And would it really be that hard to connect Louisville and Nashville, or Pueblo and La Junta ? This has Gardner written all over it. Congress needs to add some "requirements" before they give Amtrak $80 billion.

Last edited:
Yeah. No. Those people would rather fly.
Not every wants or can fly. Some people have health issues that prevent them from flying.
Also, wouldn’t your opinion be true for Chicago to Los Angeles, Chicago to San Francisco, Chicago to Seattle?
And what about the people who live between Chicago and Florida, who don’t have access to airports.

Back