New Amtrak Station In Birmingham Alabama

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The little Terminal was torn down a number of years after the Southern Crescent moved to the Amtrak Station. The building was used by Yellow Freight as their office for a number of years. The platform and Tracks 9 & 10 remained also and were used for Steam Excursions. This all finally changed when the Red Mountain Expressway was completed and built right over the little Terminal Station site at 7th Ave. All of track 9 was removed and about half of track 10 was removed at that time. As a side note, when they were building the Red Mountain Expressway extension, they found remains of basement rooms from the original Terminal Station. I believe part of the passenger tunnel is still there. For a number of years the stairways had been filled in with dirt and, as the dirt settled, people were sliding down between the top of the stairs and the dirt to explore.

I remember taking the NB Floridian to B'ham in 1975, walking about a mile and a half from the Amtrak/L&N station to the mini Southern station, and taking the NB Southern Crescent. There were a few cabbies who ran the route, but in broad daylight I felt safe doing it.

Part of the old platform still remains of the old Southern station. It's still used when NS / TVRM run 21st Century Steam Excursions out of Birmingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back