New Auto Train Sleeping Car Menu Posted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the new Auto Train sleeping car menu has been posted)
Was on it last week. The tuff ""steak"" & Manicotti are the same. The fish was salmon and the chicken was a (teaspoon) red pepper sauce. They are adding a free shot-glass of wine now. You'll notice the repeating boiling pot o'water frozen vegetable medley and the boiled "baked" potato. I remember the crunchy couscous...."oh sir, that's not couscous....it's uncooked rice" LOL LOL No matter how bad the AT continues to get...the niece ends it with: "We're not driving!" lol Lol LOL We picnic before boarding!

Attachments

• AT_picnic.jpg
    AT_picnic.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 85
That's a rather abbreviated menu. No doubt it was created to keep the food at Amtraks lowest cost and serve it to the highest fare passengers. I sure miss the old days that were actually not that long ago. The new exorbitant sleeper fares elimination of amenities and the cheapening of the food offerings is a sure way to decrease ridership, but apparently that's what Gardner and Anderson want. They are unable to get congress to agree to cut the LD routes so they just set out to sabotage the service.

Heck, it looks a lot nicer than what we've got on the Meteor and Star!

I don't take the auto train, so please forgive me if I don't have this clear--but there is no food at all for coach passengers now and they have to hope there is a food truck somewhere at each end? Or is there a cafe car like on the other trains?

Heck, it looks a lot nicer than what we've got on the Meteor and Star!

I don't take the auto train, so please forgive me if I don't have this clear--but there is no food at all for coach passengers now and they have to hope there is a food truck somewhere at each end? Or is there a cafe car like on the other trains?

My understanding is that they are adding a Cross-Country Cafe to the consist, and that coach passengers will be able to purchase food there.

I notice that there is no vegetarian/vegan offering on it. Not everyone eats meat or fish or cheese.

I was under the impression that the manicotti didn't contain meat. Still, the cheese would make it a no-go for vegans. They're certainly not making it easy with this menu.

Selection is slightly worse. Pretty similar to before, just less choice, worse for anyone with dietary restrictions.

At this point "bring your own food" seems to be generally wise advice...

Selection is slightly worse. Pretty similar to before, just less choice, worse for anyone with dietary restrictions.
At this point "bring your own food" seems to be generally wise advice...
Amtrak is now basic transportation. If you have such delicate "dietary restrictions"...I doubt South of the Border will fill them better! LOL You can fly it in 2 hours! For example: DCA-MCO on American non-stop 2/18 = $49! I take the AT every month because I take a lot of stuff I need on both ends.

Attachments

• Loaded.jpg
    Loaded.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 39
Given the wine selection, I'd get a kick out of taking a bottle of our own to dinner and asking if they'd decant it for me... or if they charge a corkage fee, lol. Just the reaction would be priceless.

I will be interested to see the changes, if any, after the reported official start date of the enhancements - Jan 14, yesterday. I thought the flat iron we had on the train a few months ago was perfectly cooked and tasty and this menu sounds good with better choices than we had. Of course the taste and presentation will make all the difference. And, we really enjoyed the modified CCC serving as the sleeper lounge and overflow dining space.

But, no, it will never be like the Florida Special, or even Amtrak in its ‘good old days’. Personally I’m glad the service still exists and Anderson has stated he wants to improve the on board experience, even if it’s not what many would like. I think he realizes the service needs to be a notch above the mediocre service on other trains to maintain if not increase revenue. Certainly the market is different than for the rest of the LD network.

A couple we met in the lounge traveling between homes echoed RRRich’s niece’s sentiments: “This is so much better than driving I-95.” Lets hope ridership improves to regular operation again of the 50 car consists.

Last edited:
This doesn't really look much different than the menu I remember having when I road a year ago.

The cafe menu looks like the national cafe menu, but it includes 2 of the contemporary dining choices and doesn't include pizza. I certainly wouldn't pay $16 for those contemporary dining choices.

This is similar to what the auto train has had just a change in the entrees. The auto train hasn’t had a full menu like the western trains since I have taken its always just a choice of 3 or 4 entrees. I’m guessing the fewer choices is due to the amount of people they have to serve. This menu was actually implemented a while ago it was the menu when I took the AT in October so they are now just finally updating the website. It wasn’t a gourmet dinner but it was fine for train food and similar to what was on there before. I thought the pasta thing was ok and the dessert was good. When I took it they had this menu but weren’t doing a free wine yet. This isn’t a downgrade except for coach who are losing dinner entirely I’d say it’s basically the same as it was - no better no worse.

Given the wine selection, I'd get a kick out of taking a bottle of our own to dinner and asking if they'd decant it for me... or if they charge a corkage fee, lol. Just the reaction would be priceless.
Don't rock the train! LOL LOL Grab those plastic cups by the coffee machine mid-car. I fill one will Kendall Jackson chardonnay, the niece a Bogle Pinot Noir. Everyone knows my AT drinking habits! Then after dinner I'd invite dinner-mates for an after-dinner coffee.

Attachments

• cocktails.JPG
    cocktails.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 44
  • coffee_fixins.JPG
    coffee_fixins.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 42
We traveled a bit lighter going north (see image) on our first Amtrak experience, but after our 12 hour delay - and a train that ran out of food - we added cheese, crackers, sandwiches, and other snacks for our trip back. We're learning ! :)

i-9J9JcDL-XL.jpg

Received this email today from Amtrak about the food trucks. My question how do you keep food warm. Are there going to be Microwaves for customer use.

We are contacting you about your trip on Train 52 the Auto Train from Sanford Auto Train.

We look forward to seeing you soon aboard the Amtrak Auto Train. Before your trip begins, we wanted to provide you with a preview of your dining options both at the station and onboard.

Prior to boarding, food trucks will be on site in Lorton and Sanford offering a variety of culinary choices. You can browse the food truck menu for your departure date and order ahead via the following links:

Lorton food trucks: https://www.bestfoodtrucks.com/amtraklorton

Sanford food trucks: https://www.bestfoodtrucks.com/amtraksanford

While onboard, be sure to visit the new Cross-Country Café, an exclusive space for Coach customers offering an expanded café menu of meals, snacks and beverages for sale as well as a festive environment during the trip. You can find the new Cross Country Café menu at https://Amtrak.com/cafe

Prior to arrival, a complimentary continental breakfast will be served in the Cross-Country Café featuring crumb cakes, bagels, bananas and an assortment of cereals. Coffee, tea, orange juice and milk will also be served.

Thank you for choosing the Auto Train. We are excited to have you onboard.

The most up to date arrival and departure times are available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps or by texting or calling

Back